Foal Feeding Advise
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Foal Feeding Advise

This is a discussion on Foal Feeding Advise within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Training a bottle fed foals
  • Foal advise

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Wanda
  • 1 Post By churumbeque
  • 1 Post By Foxhunter

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-21-2013, 01:07 PM
  #1
Foal
Cool Foal Feeding Advise

Hi I have a foal - Ponchos, whos mom died and now I am bottle feeding her. I've heard so many stories. Apparently they get aggressive to humans when you bottle feed them because they associate humans with food, is this true ? I don't want her to kick and bite! Looking forward to your good advice!
Warrie likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-21-2013, 01:14 PM
  #2
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda    
Hi I have a foal - Ponchos, whos mom died and now I am bottle feeding her. I've heard so many stories. Apparently they get aggressive to humans when you bottle feed them because they associate humans with food, is this true ? I don't want her to kick and bite! Looking forward to your good advice!
put it in a bucket they will drink right out of a bucket just like they drink water
     
    01-21-2013, 01:30 PM
  #3
Foal
Thank you! She is like 6/7 weeks old! I've tried a bucket but she’s not drinking, maybe if I leave her long enough without bottle feeding she will get hungry and drink from the bucket right.
     
    01-21-2013, 01:46 PM
  #4
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanda    
Thank you! She is like 6/7 weeks old! I've tried a bucket but she’s not drinking, maybe if I leave her long enough without bottle feeding she will get hungry and drink from the bucket right.
Yes. Leave it in several hours and change as needed. They will drink from a bucket as a new born.
Palomine likes this.
     
    01-21-2013, 01:58 PM
  #5
Trained
Miniature Donkey - Short ASSets Ranch - Miniature Donkeys - My Momma's an Igloo

This will keep you from having to bottle feed and she won't lose respect for humans.
     
    01-21-2013, 02:24 PM
  #6
Super Moderator
To get them to drink from a bucket get them sucking your fingers and lower your hand into the bucket so they are sucking up the milk, they soon catch on.

The important thing is to get her a companion. She needs an older quiet horse to 'adopt' her and teach her horse manners.

Problems arise with bottle fed foals is because they demand food and the human never disciplines them as a mare would. You really have to be very strict with yourself over correcting the slightest misdemeanour, firmly and fairly.
OneFastHorse likes this.
     
    01-22-2013, 04:01 AM
  #7
Foal
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter    
To get them to drink from a bucket get them sucking your fingers and lower your hand into the bucket so they are sucking up the milk, they soon catch on.

The important thing is to get her a companion. She needs an older quiet horse to 'adopt' her and teach her horse manners.

Problems arise with bottle fed foals is because they demand food and the human never disciplines them as a mare would. You really have to be very strict with yourself over correcting the slightest misdemeanour, firmly and fairly.

Thank you ! She is drinking from a Bucket today!
     
    01-22-2013, 03:45 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Would not do the older horse thing as too easy for older horse to decide they don't want foal around and hurt it or even kill it.

We've raised orphans and never had any problems as they were not babied, nor allowed to get buy with anything.

The last one, tried double barreling me when I brought her bucket out to hang it. I saw her thinking about it and stepped back, when she popped those feet out, I set bucket down, got lash whip and got after her sending her around small arena she was stalled in.

Other than a try of nipping 2 times, both corrected, she is no problem. She is one of the easiest going horses in the barn, and the best behaved.
     
    01-22-2013, 10:54 PM
  #9
Weanling
I would also start offering a feed such as Triple Crown Growth and hay as soon as possible. The sooner she'll start eating it too, the better. It will ensure she is getting adequate nutrition to prevent any issues.

Do you have other horses on the property? You may want to find a small pony or mini to keep with her to show her the ropes as far as how to act and how to eat. Or perhaps a goat.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Foal training - What do you do? EquineBovine Horse Training 14 10-02-2012 01:10 PM
Foal Training rosie756 Horse Training 4 08-18-2012 01:29 AM
foal training myhorses10 Horse Training 5 03-21-2011 12:38 PM
foal training thealabamaredhead Horse Training 5 02-02-2011 11:56 AM
Foal and training doczahi Natural Horsemanship 6 04-16-2009 06:35 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0