I am planning on purchasing a weanling quarter horse colt this next week, and need some guidance on how to transition the horse appropriately. He will be with the mare on a Utah ranch in the mountains until the first of November. Then I will be asked to pick the foal up. I live 2.5 hours away (North Logan, Utah).
1) How do I best wean the foal under these circumstances?
2) I do not know if the foal has had a halter. What do I do about this? It may not have been handled much.
3) How do I trailer the horse with the least stress as possible? Sedate? I have a couple of gildings I could trailer with the foal.
4) After getting the horse home, do I separate it by a fence from the two gildings, or do I put them all together in a 1/4 acre lot?
5) I have trained young adult horses, but not a weanling. What is the best educational source to give the horse the best start possible?
Any expert help would be very appreciated.