Frustrated - Page 19
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Frustrated

This is a discussion on Frustrated within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree427Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-01-2013, 07:13 PM
      #181
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimSum    
    hang on I have to get some paper towel to wipes the spit off my screen
    Here




    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
    Oh the meadow muffins.......
    Plenty for you if you need them Muppet
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-01-2013, 07:26 PM
      #182
    Weanling
    Before I go on to argue my point, I just have to say this. Everyone needs to stop with the finger pointing and whining. This thread is nothing personal. It's about having a great, logical, debate about the logistics of getting an immediate response from your horse. There have been lots of interesting and good points thrown out by both sides. So please, let's leave the bickering behind us. Thanks!

    On to my point now. Lol I believe one of the major questions that has come up is the why Cherie's tip is effective and why is it only for finished horses. I am not Cherie, but this is my take on it. A finished horse knows what is expected of it. It is not learning anything new like a green horse. A finished horse wouldn't become frantic or panicked because it doesn't understand a perfectly made request. A young horse will do those things. If you ask a finished horse to immediately step into the canter (assuming the horse was perfectly cued) and fails to do so (assuming there is no rider error), the rider would then immediately stop the horse. The rider would then get after the horse, not allowing him to step forward. You then start again, as soon as the horse has settled from reacting to being gotten after, by cueing the horse correctly. The horse will then move off of your leg, immediately, as requested. All of this happens within about 10 to 15 seconds of the horse failing to respond to the cue. The reason you do not let the horse go forward is because the horse will then be moving off of the whip/spurs, rather than the suble cue from your calf. The idea is that the horse correlates the touch of your calf to an immediate transition, rather than being whipped/spurred. You would not do this with a young horse that is learning because they have no clear expectation of what they were supposed to do in the first place. You would only put the youngster into a state of panic, confusion, or they would have a horsey meltdown.

    Also, as stated earlier in this thread, all finished horses become finished by learning their actions have consequences. I think we can all agree to this. How does a foal learn to not walk all over it's handler? How does a young horse learn biting his handler is unacceptable? Not by being coddled, that's for sure. And how does that baby horse then become a finished reining horse one day? No horse becomes finished without learning that there are consequences to their actions.
         
        09-01-2013, 10:09 PM
      #183
    Trained
    I would just like to remind folks (actually a certain "folk") that this thread was not and is not referring to trail horses. That is a totally different subject. Using examples about them is irrelevant.
         
        09-01-2013, 10:30 PM
      #184
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
    Hey wasn't there a a thread about "You people" a while ago?
    .
    There was :) I just picked that title so people would read it. But that thread wasn't a negative 'you people'; it was a positive 'you people' :) as in, 'you people' that are awesome or even just pretty decent riders tell me about a time where you weren't so great, or weren't even okay @ riding, and how far you've come... (Give me hope!)... Anyway, back to the regular scheduled programming....
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Golden Horse likes this.
         
        09-01-2013, 10:55 PM
      #185
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DimSum    
    Wrong on both counts, specious reasoning at its finest

    In any discussion regarding horsemanship, personal experience is the very thing that defines an accomplished horseperson. A horseperson's bona fides are earned, not book learned or borrowed from the current trainer du jour's latest youtube vid

    A lack of personal experience is most certainly grounds to contradict a point. Earlier this year we had a younger person posting here, and while she made some cogent points periodically she would post up something that was so fundamentally wrong and inappropriate it became apparent she really had zero personal experience and was only parroting things she read or saw on the internet. This attention seeking child had never even ridden and it was her lack of practical application of the advice she prattled on about that eventually tripped her up.

    Bottom line? Book (or for that matter chronic seminar auditing) smart IRL experience.
    you said "A lack of personal experience is most certainly grounds to contradict a point"
    Yet you also said "she made some cogent points" in reference to a person who "had zero personal experience". Were her cogent points contradicted solely by her lack of personal experience? Or were they still cogent points? If she hadn't posted something "fundamentally wrong and inappropriate" or made apparent that she "had zero personal experience" would you have looked at her cogent points any differently? If someone with great personal experience posted something "fundamentally wrong and inappropriate" would you see it as cogent for no reason other than that the person who posted it has great personal experience?

    Bagheera: thank you for trying to be unbiased - I like that.
    I am happy to agree to disagree on what a finished horse is. "A finished horse knows what is expected of it" whereas to me a finished horse DOES (rather than just knows) what is expected of it - assuming the cue is correct.
    And I agree that actions need consequences (both positive and negative), what that doesn't answer though is why the method put forward is an effective consequence.

    Franknbeans: are the principles by which a reining horse learns different to those by which a trail horse learns?
         
        09-01-2013, 10:59 PM
      #186
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shadow    
    Hello, I'm looking for some advice. *I'm finally able to ride all I want. *March, April, May, I rode her darn near every day, since then about 3-4 times a week. *I started her at 3 and been the only one of her back. She turned 8 in Feb. I started rein training her earlier this year also. *I would say she's trained fairly well western style. *I'm to the point of trying to speed things up and when I ask her, because I know for a fact she knows what I am asking, I expect her to do it NOW, not when she gets around to it but when I ask. *(There is my frustration!) *I have to take it to a place I don't like when I have to keep nagging at her to respond when I ask. *She will sure do it when I take it there but I hate doing that.
    **Is this just another step in her training process? *Will she eventually give it up and respond when I ask her without me taking it to that other place?
    **Just this year, I finally seen a lot more maturity in her. *I really think in a couple years I could take her straight up in the bridle if I can get this worked out. *
    **I also know that earlier this year I was pushing too hard for results and have since backed off a bit but I do still expect her to respond quicker.
    *
    Thank you, * Shadow
    This is the the OP's first post, she just started rein training this horse earlier this year, this is not a finished reiner even though it's 8 years old.*
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-01-2013, 11:20 PM
      #187
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher    
    i am happy to agree to disagree on what a finished horse is. "A finished horse knows what is expected of it" whereas to me a finished horse DOES (rather than just knows) what is expected of it - assuming the cue is correct.
    And I agree that actions need consequences (both positive and negative), what that doesn't answer though is why the method put forward is an effective consequence.
    Well said- and a good thing to be clear on. Out of curiosity, from your point of view, can a finished horse sometimes need re-training? Ie, for whatever reason, stop being 'finished', and if so, what would it take/proof would be needed for them to regain the status of a finished horse as you define it? Would a horse be finished if it only DOES for certain riders while others it might give trouble (assuming equally skilled/technically competent riders).

    I think your standard is higher than what most people think of, but certainly wouldn't argue that is a bad thing.
         
        09-01-2013, 11:54 PM
      #188
    Weanling
    I think we are finally understanding each other. While I believe it is great to hold a horse to a high standard based off of the training it has received, it does not make sense, imo, to assume it will always choose the correct response because of said training. Every time someone gets on a horse's back, they become a "trainer," (great, good, bad, or ugly) and that saying is widely accepted because horses are always learning. From the time they are born until the day they die, they are learning new things from their environment and the people who handle/ride them. I believe it is unfair to hold a horse to that high of a standard. They have every right to make mistakes, make decisions, and learn new things. If a horse does only what it is trained to do, I don't feel that it will take a rider to the level they'd like to achieve. (assuming we are talking top level riders) This thread is geared more towards reiners, but I am more familiar with jumping horses. A horse that is finished, say a Grand Prix jumping horse, he might be great at his job, but he will never win the big classes. It takes heart for a horse to be the best. Even for a reining horse. No one wants to see a robotic horse in the show ring. It takes a bit of spunk, playfulness, and curiosity to make a top horse. I'm not saying you should expect a horse to be playful or naughty, but you have to make an allowance for imperfection. Even at the top. :)
         
        09-02-2013, 12:31 AM
      #189
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ognend    

    You folks so far sound like a group of people convinced that the horses of the world are in a conspiracy against you - they don't want to work, they are evasive, "flip you fingers", try to cheat you out of your well deserved time on the trail just to s*rew with you. All that from an animal with a squirrel sized brain :)

    My $.02

    I hope I don't come across that way. I don't think everyone here thinks a horse is out to get us or get out of work or flip us off.

    The disciplining of a mounted horse that knowingly ignores a rider's cue should be all about getting his full and attention, so you can ask again and expect a correct response. NO?. So, if you over and under him, or snap him with the mecate, or use a dressage whip to smack him , or a quirt, it should be about seriously getting his attention, more than about causeing a lot of pain.
    If there is another way to get a horse's attention, really quickly and sharply, so that it's very meaningful and memorable, what would that be?
    franknbeans likes this.
         
        09-02-2013, 12:38 AM
      #190
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    If there is another way to get a horse's attention, really quickly and sharply, so that it's very meaningful and memorable, what would that be?
    Although I find it less than reliable, I've seen plenty of people who yell or scream at their horses. :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    so frustrated. Janna Horse Talk 15 10-23-2012 05:46 PM
    Never been so frustrated! Cmurdock57 Horse Training 14 09-02-2012 10:35 AM
    really frustrated rottenweiler English Riding 6 09-08-2010 10:26 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:49 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0