Galloping & One Rein Stop
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Galloping & One Rein Stop

This is a discussion on Galloping & One Rein Stop within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • One rein stop at a gallop
  • Can a horse fall over doing a one rein stop

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-07-2010, 02:56 AM
  #1
Weanling
Galloping & One Rein Stop

Sssooo. Beau stops just fine WTC. At least, in the arena. However. Once the horse gets to a full out gallop, there is no stopping him. It's more of a "hang on and enjoy the ride" type thing, as much as I hate admitting that. It's his one and only vice.

I have always heard ONE REIN STOP. But lmao, I'm afraid to do that at the gallop. I'd think it would throw him off balance, and I'm terrified he'd trip and fall or something.

HALP. :|
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-07-2010, 03:04 AM
  #2
Foal
Thats how I have to stop my new mare. I just have to be sure to keep her soft, im constantly having her give her head both ways. If theres enough room when I go to stop ill lope a larger circle and gradually keep smaller as she slows.
     
    01-07-2010, 03:44 AM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianGirl    
Thats how I have to stop my new mare. I just have to be sure to keep her soft, im constantly having her give her head both ways. If theres enough room when I go to stop ill lope a larger circle and gradually keep smaller as she slows.
Lmao.. usually I'm riding down the side of a road. Beau likes chasing cars.. x_x so there usually isn't room for any type of large circle.
     
    01-07-2010, 04:36 AM
  #4
Green Broke
Don't gallop.
     
    01-07-2010, 08:43 AM
  #5
Banned
Call me chicken or whatever but I will not ride a horse I can not control and I mean in every situation.. If I had a run away I wouldn't be worrying about a one rein stop. I want a stop now, both reins and if I couldn't get it I would bit the horse until I could.
Riding a horse that can run through you is stupid and dangerous.
Why is everyone against biting a horse that runs???
I don't know the bit you use but I assume it is a snaffle??
If so borrow a western curb with a curb chain and give it a try.
A bit doesn't make a hard mouthed horse, the rider does.
Ride with a bigger bit and soft hands and the horse will become lighter because of it.
     
    01-07-2010, 08:49 AM
  #6
Started
Using a bigger and harsher bit isn't going to solve anything. It's a quick fix and it's just using force, not communication and foundation work.

I wouldn't do a one rein stop at a gallop. You need to spiral him down, go on a circle and gradually make it smaller until he's slow enough where you can execute the one rein stop.
     
    01-07-2010, 09:02 AM
  #7
Showing
Honeysuga is right as is Rio (but up to a point). If you have no control over all your horse's gaits, you shouldn't be riding at that gait. There is a hole in your horse's training and, perhaps, yours.

One rein stop is a "must have" tool but it is there for emergencies not for everyday riding. It's taught at a w/t/c first so that you and your horse know how to accomplish it without getting your horse off balance.

Gimmicks and harsh bits are for "riders" who are too lazy or inexperienced enough to train a horse properly - not to say that you are either. What is needed is education - nothing more. In the meanwhile, don't gallop your horse.
     
    01-07-2010, 09:27 AM
  #8
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirithorse    
Using a bigger and harsher bit isn't going to solve anything. It's a quick fix and it's just using force, not communication and foundation work.

.

Who cares how it is done as long as the horse learns who is master. As for a quick fix? What is wrong with that. I have broken a few run aways for people ready to send them to the meat market. I do the quick fix with the curb bit and the people end up keeping the horse??
Who cares again about communication when the horse is running away with you? The only communication I want is a dead stop NOW.

Problems are caused by people with an attidute of reasoning with a horse instead of saying "this is the way it is going to be so get use to it"

I ride with gentle people, I see them in all the boarding barns and I see problems created by these people and when it reaches a boiling point people like me are called in and we fix it and being gentle all the time, reasoning all the time is not going to do it.
Going back to fundimentals at a time of stress is not doing dick.
Pick a bigger more aggressive bit and when the horse runs, yell WHOA, brace yourself and let him have it with all you got.
He will learn quickly that he can not run through you and the word WHOA means something.
To be soft first you have to be hard.
     
    01-07-2010, 09:31 AM
  #9
Trained
I'll bet you can ride as fast as he can run so wait to ask him to stop untill it becomes his idea. When you have to use your leg or spur to keep him moving at a gallop then he is ready to think about stopping. Don't ask untill he's ready.
     
    01-07-2010, 09:32 AM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by iridehorses    
Honeysuga is right as is Rio (but up to a point). If you have no control over all your horse's gaits, you shouldn't be riding at that gait. There is a hole in your horse's training and, perhaps, yours.

One rein stop is a "must have" tool but it is there for emergencies not for everyday riding. It's taught at a w/t/c first so that you and your horse know how to accomplish it without getting your horse off balance.

Gimmicks and harsh bits are for "riders" who are too lazy or inexperienced enough to train a horse properly - not to say that you are either. What is needed is education - nothing more. In the meanwhile, don't gallop your horse.

You should have control no mater what the gait. If the horse spooks and suddenly takes off running you need to be able to stop him.
One Rein stops are useless in alot of situations, narrow trails, close to fence, speed, unbalancing etc etc make one rein stop stupid.
I never train or consider training it.. Stop the horse properly instead of another gimmic
Lazy?? Alot of poor riders, poor seat, no strength need the advantage that a curb can give them. We are dealing with a 1000 pound plus horse with riders in the low 120 range. They need an advantage that a bit can give them.
A horse that doesn't respect the bit, respect the rider is a hard horse.
I posted on the Gentlemans horse> You don't get them by being lazy or timid.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Galloping? HorseLover123 Horse Riding 12 08-02-2009 08:14 PM
What is a "one rein stop"? RiddlesDarkAngel5 Horse Riding 25 07-01-2009 09:02 PM
The One-rein stop RedHawk Horse Videos 2 02-17-2009 05:38 PM
One rein stop Vidaloco Horse Videos 12 01-18-2009 07:32 PM
One-rein stop kitten_Val Horse Training 3 02-19-2008 09:27 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0