Getting kind of bored of the same ole' - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 111
• Horses: 1
Getting kind of bored of the same ole'

I have a smaller indoor riding arena, to short for poles and its not bad for barrels. Anyway, I'm getting tired of the same old work out by myself. Trotting poles, barrel patterns, serpentin, circles in the corners, weaving around arena, turning on haunches (really slow but she is trying), figure 8's at a lope trying to get lead changes ( not to bad, she tries to cut the figure 8 small though). The only thing i really plan on doing with my horse is gaming, but not extremly competitive, just for fun at the near by shows. I'd like to try the penning clinic next year, and I think reining is really neat but I don't think she will ever be a reiner. I'm just going through a bored stage and was wondering what everyone else does out there in their conditioning, or when they are getting bored.
mpleasance is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 11:00 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth, last time I checked
Posts: 1,254
• Horses: 1
Try some saddle work, how is the horse's ground matters? Basic is good, try loping the poles. But you probably need saddle work for reining. That's why I think..
Cowgirl101 is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 111
• Horses: 1
what do you mean by saddle work? When i ride her I sit up straight and when i want her to stop i just kind of curl my butt underneath and put a little pressure in stirups and she will stop with almost no pressure on reins or voice cue. I'm in the process of teaching her to skid, she stops abrubtly, popping my out of my saddle a little if i'm not ready for it (first few times lol)
mpleasance is offline  
post #4 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth, last time I checked
Posts: 1,254
• Horses: 1
Groundwork: Catching, leading, tying, standing, hobbled, and used to being introduced to new things. Should be sacked out with bags, tarp, rope, blankets, and clothing. Used to being bridled and saddled, stands for mounting. Picks up it’s hooves for cleaning and farrier, and can be trailered with ease. Can be lunged both directions with/without whip at a walk, trot, and lope. Responds to ‘walk on’ to walk, clucking to trot, kissing to lope, and ‘whoa’ to stop. Responds to verbal commands ‘easy’ to calm down and collect strides, and ‘come’ to walk to you. Moves away from pressure, and respects space.

Saddle work: Can be bridled and saddled with no issue. Horse does not move off when being mounted, and will stand quietly until given direction. The horse should initially start off at a slower pace until asked to speed up. The horse should walk, trot, and lope on command without problem in both directions. Should be beginning to collect in both walk, and trot. Backs up, side passes, and beginning to turn on haunches and forehand. Should be able to be ridden in both an English and a western saddle, and with/without riding crop and with/without lasso. (should be trained to stand for some roping). The horse should travel over trotting poles, logs, and obstacles with ease. The horse has been trained to do small jumps (1-2’), and to go around barrels. The horse has been taken out on trails 3+ times with n

Stuff like that.. BTW I didn't write this. I'm just showing the difference with saddle and ground work.
Cowgirl101 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 11-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 3,683
• Horses: 0
Can you go out on some trails? That should be a good break for both of you & you can still make it a training session instead of just meandering down a trail. It might be fun to start up a group of riders & do some group pattern work too.
AnitaAnne is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 12:43 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 10,441
• Horses: 0
Trail riding is a blast. You could try some low jumps bareback for a change if you don't have an English saddle. Work on transitions from hand gallops to canters, it's fast and fun. Maybe try teaching her English for a change
equiniphile is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 12:50 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Earth, last time I checked
Posts: 1,254
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by equiniphile View Post
Trail riding is a blast. You could try some low jumps bareback for a change if you don't have an English saddle. Work on transitions from hand gallops to canters, it's fast and fun. Maybe try teaching her English for a change
Trails are fun when you don't run into trees.
It could be a test to see how she would do that she already learned. Bareback always fun too.
Cowgirl101 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 06:19 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
Posts: 6,182
• Horses: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnitaAnne View Post
Can you go out on some trails? That should be a good break for both of you & you can still make it a training session instead of just meandering down a trail. It might be fun to start up a group of riders & do some group pattern work too.
If you can't get out on the trails or you want to stay in, try practicing trail class items...platforms, gates, backing through Ls, etc. It's fun, a good change of pace, and keeps the horses' minds working.

On the sixth day, God created the Quarter Horse.
On the seventh day, he Painted the good ones.
PaintHorseMares is online now  
post #9 of 17 Old 11-18-2010, 08:11 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: oregon
Posts: 968
• Horses: 1
not necessarily feasible for everyone.. but what I've done is train my horse to drive. I have a little cart and I switch back and forth between driving and riding. - I live near portland oregon and we have about 7 months of continuous rain... so I KNOW what it's like to be stuck in an arena! =P
Reiterin is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 11-20-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 111
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirl101 View Post
Groundwork: Catching, leading, tying, standing, hobbled, and used to being introduced to new things. Should be sacked out with bags, tarp, rope, blankets, and clothing. Used to being bridled and saddled, stands for mounting. Picks up it’s hooves for cleaning and farrier, and can be trailered with ease. Can be lunged both directions with/without whip at a walk, trot, and lope. Responds to ‘walk on’ to walk, clucking to trot, kissing to lope, and ‘whoa’ to stop. Responds to verbal commands ‘easy’ to calm down and collect strides, and ‘come’ to walk to you. Moves away from pressure, and respects space.

Saddle work: Can be bridled and saddled with no issue. Horse does not move off when being mounted, and will stand quietly until given direction. The horse should initially start off at a slower pace until asked to speed up. The horse should walk, trot, and lope on command without problem in both directions. Should be beginning to collect in both walk, and trot. Backs up, side passes, and beginning to turn on haunches and forehand. Should be able to be ridden in both an English and a western saddle, and with/without riding crop and with/without lasso. (should be trained to stand for some roping). The horse should travel over trotting poles, logs, and obstacles with ease. The horse has been trained to do small jumps (1-2’), and to go around barrels. The horse has been taken out on trails 3+ times with n

Stuff like that.. BTW I didn't write this. I'm just showing the difference with saddle and ground work.
Thanks for the info, she does all of that pretty well. Except for the english stuff and jumping. I don't have an english saddle to ride in and never really showed much interest in it. She will lunge without whip to but i have to sorta "wave" to her lol.. I don't know how to explain it. I sorta flick my hand to her.



Quote:
Originally Posted by equiniphile View Post
Trail riding is a blast. You could try some low jumps bareback for a change if you don't have an English saddle. Work on transitions from hand gallops to canters, it's fast and fun. Maybe try teaching her English for a change

I could go on trail rides, but i'm afraid to go, especially by my self. I'm always afraid of running in to coyotes (however it is splet) because there is alot of dens around the barn, and there is a few bears around, not close to barn to pose a hazzard in the pasture but i don't really want to run into them. She isn't a skiddish horse at all. I've done all the tarp training, plastic bottles, and flags. Nothing like that really bothers her, that i have seen yet. Although the other day i was riding and my boyfriend came in the ring and put his arms out stiff and swayed back and forth and made zombie noises and she backed away pretty fast lol.. It was quite funny acutally. ahahah

Quote:
not necessarily feasible for everyone.. but what I've done is train my horse to drive. I have a little cart and I switch back and forth between driving and riding. - I live near portland oregon and we have about 7 months of continuous rain... so I KNOW what it's like to be stuck in an arena! =P

I would like to teach her to drive some because she is a draft cross and probably would pick up on it easy, but we don't have a harnness or cart at the time.
mpleasance is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What kind of names your kids have or what kind of names you'd love to give them? TaMMa89 General Off Topic Discussion 48 02-13-2012 08:43 PM
I got a little bored... ridingismylife2 Horse Artwork 7 02-18-2010 11:10 PM
Are you bored? ShutUpJoe Horse Talk 13 11-22-2009 12:53 AM
Just because I got bored... Tennessee Horse Pictures 4 11-01-2009 11:02 AM
He's so bored goldilockz Horse Talk 23 07-13-2009 11:08 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome