Goal: Halter Pony. Current State: Chaos.
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Goal: Halter Pony. Current State: Chaos.

This is a discussion on Goal: Halter Pony. Current State: Chaos. within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Japan taining. Slaveing tying smack
  • horse forum pony halter show

Like Tree2Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-29-2011, 06:50 PM
  #1
Foal
Goal: Halter Pony. Current State: Chaos.

I've decided I want to place in a halter class with my gelding...
One problem: he's a major butthead at halter. Worst manners ever. It's been going on too long. I know you can't garuntee me a place with him, but I firmly believe if he had good manners he could do decently in halter(especially with as little of competition at our fair that there is)...
Here's a vid to show his manners during a halter class as of 3 months ago.. (they're the same now as they were then.):
If we wouldn't have been in the middle of a show I would have probably done some disciplining....

[And I realize I'm not a remotely good handler, because I've never really done much with halter - just skipped straight to riding every time (which I'm not at all proud of)... but still, this is pretty unacceptable either way, don't ya think?]

"Get some lessons, girl" is what most of ya are going to say, but that's not possible at this time of the year given that we live so far north that it doesn't thaw out until mid April. :/... And we're so far out in the sticks an indoor arena here is pretty much nonexistent/unheard of... I promise, I'm working on it, (I've taken some in the past but under saddle... Was too embarrassed to try a lesson or 2 at halter...) but I won't be able to get them until... Yeah... April.

"Sell that darn horse" NO WAY. He's a great riding pony, just he's an epic fail at the moment at halter! Plus I'm determined to make him good. IF IT KILLS ME. Ok, maybe not if it kills me, but YOU GET THE POINT!

"he's dangerous" ...He's really not. Doesn't bite. Doesn't kick. Doesn't buck/rear. Just a nuisance!

NO he hasn't always been this way. I'll admit, he's never been necessarily "calm" at halter, but not this bad.

So give me some tips... a starting point... whatever.... Just some advice on how I can get him to STAND THE HECK STILL! Just don't preach to me that I'm too young to be dealing with this. I'm not. I've got help if I really need it, (my parents are pretty horsey - but I'm definitely the most horse-crazy one in the family.) but I'd like to at least try to fix this myself, because I feel that both me and my horse could benefit from it! Thank you in advance!
(PS I am working on getting lessons, but it's just not that easy - especially when they nearest lesson barn is 1 and a half hours away!)
{I've tried everything.}
Tying him to the "tree of knowledge" for days on end. (he just digs a hole to Japan)
Getting his feet moving (that's essentially what he wants... Ugh)
Discipline (ok, state the obvious, the horse is 10x bigger than I am.)
I'm shizzners outta luck.
Help.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-29-2011, 06:58 PM
  #2
Yearling
It looks to me like he just doesn't respect you. Period. If I were you, I'd work at home on leading and standing. Carry a crop with you and when he starts pawing, give him a smack on the shoulder; its not going to hurt him. When he starts throwing his head around, give a jerk on the lead and say "QUIT!". If he starts to walk over the top of you, get in his face and MAKE him back up a good 5 steps. If you are persistent he will get better after a while. Shorter than you think actually!
     
    10-30-2011, 03:40 AM
  #3
Started
If that were my horse, I would have smacked the crap out of him right then and there for that pawing, show or no show.
     
    10-30-2011, 03:59 AM
  #4
Yearling
I would offer these suggestions:

First, watch some youtube videos of showmanship classes. Type in AQHA showmanship class and watch the handlers. Study how they stand and hold their leads, their hands, and their bodies in relation to the horse.

In your video you aren't standing properly, so you can't see your horse when he is about to lean into you, throw his head in your space, paw, etc. And since you can't see it start, you can't correct immediately (although you don't correct at all).

So, start by leading him forward and asking for a stop. Then turn and face him, slightly off to the side, your toes pointed to his front hooves, holding the lead with a slight drape. You shouldn't be pulling down on the lead or holding tightly, as that just makes him throw his head more. The SECOND he paws, leans, throws his head or does anything other than stand quietly, Growl 'OT OT OT OT" at him then push him backwards hard and fast - if he doesn't go backwards whack him with the end of the lead or a crop - he will learn to get back to avoid getting hit.

After you back him for a good ten steps, turn and walk forwards for twenty steps, stop, turn and face him and set yourself up again, then ask him to stand. If he stands for 10 seconds (or 5) without fussing, praise him, pat his neck, turn and walk off.

He will understand that when you face him, standing straight and tall, your toes pointed to his and your attention is on him, that he is to stand. If you can praise him for the smallest time increment, you can build on it. Anytime he leans into you, smack him hard on his neck. Anytime he throws his head into you, poke him hard with your fingers, anytime he moves his feet, back him hard and fast.

You can use a spur in your hand to get the message across without getting sore :)
Practice several times a day for very short periods of time, and like the above have said, he will get it.
     
    10-30-2011, 03:59 AM
  #5
Banned
Yep. Back to basics. This isn't a halter problem. It's a rudimentary respect and ground manners program. I don't generally like or recommend any sort of natural horsemanship books/DVD's, but I think you just might benefit from the concepts they teach.
     
    10-30-2011, 11:22 AM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy2u1    
If that were my horse, I would have smacked the crap out of him right then and there for that pawing, show or no show.
I probably would have if it wouldn't have been a 4H show... that wouldn't have looked very good :/. Plus a girl got thrown out of the whole show for slapping her horse after it bit someone else's horse... Wasn't going to take my chances...
     
    10-30-2011, 11:34 AM
  #7
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunJumpRide    
Plus a girl got thrown out of the whole show for slapping her horse after it bit someone else's horse... Wasn't going to take my chances...
I'd think it more likely she got kicked because her horse was a biter

But agreed with everyone else here, just need to get back down and dirty with the basic ground manners. This lil guy lacks some serious respect issues. Indie is a well stood angel after it was quickly made clear that fussing on the ground wasn't allowed (for no good reason, I'd give some slack if something unexpected happen... but head tossing and pawing are never allowed). For the first year I had her, I carried a crop, or held the end of a lead rope ready to be used as a whip if need be, and at the first second of misbehaving, she'd get an appropriate punishment.

Verble reminders work nowa days, or even straightening my shoulders and bulking up reminds her to mind herself.
     
    10-30-2011, 11:39 AM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace80908    
I would offer these suggestions:

First, watch some youtube videos of showmanship classes. Type in AQHA showmanship class and watch the handlers. Study how they stand and hold their leads, their hands, and their bodies in relation to the horse.

In your video you aren't standing properly, so you can't see your horse when he is about to lean into you, throw his head in your space, paw, etc. And since you can't see it start, you can't correct immediately (although you don't correct at all).

So, start by leading him forward and asking for a stop. Then turn and face him, slightly off to the side, your toes pointed to his front hooves, holding the lead with a slight drape. You shouldn't be pulling down on the lead or holding tightly, as that just makes him throw his head more. The SECOND he paws, leans, throws his head or does anything other than stand quietly, Growl 'OT OT OT OT" at him then push him backwards hard and fast - if he doesn't go backwards whack him with the end of the lead or a crop - he will learn to get back to avoid getting hit.

After you back him for a good ten steps, turn and walk forwards for twenty steps, stop, turn and face him and set yourself up again, then ask him to stand. If he stands for 10 seconds (or 5) without fussing, praise him, pat his neck, turn and walk off.

He will understand that when you face him, standing straight and tall, your toes pointed to his and your attention is on him, that he is to stand. If you can praise him for the smallest time increment, you can build on it. Anytime he leans into you, smack him hard on his neck. Anytime he throws his head into you, poke him hard with your fingers, anytime he moves his feet, back him hard and fast.

You can use a spur in your hand to get the message across without getting sore :)
Practice several times a day for very short periods of time, and like the above have said, he will get it.
Ok! I've been trying to improve on my showmanship anyway, and since then, I've attended a showmanship clinic! Honestly, I was just holding on for dear life trying not to get dragged away/have to deal with a loose horse, which, I realize now, just made matters worse...

Thank you so much! Your method sounds legit, I will definitely try it. Seems pretty fool-proof!

I guess I was just scared to discipline him really harshly because he might be afraid of me; my dad slapped one of my other ponies when I was younger for kicking me, and she still hates him. (that was a good 8 years ago) ... I guess I have just been scared of punishments since then because I was afraid of my ponies being afraid of me.

But now that I think about it more, Specs is a COMPLETELY different horse than Star is. Star is a shy pushover in the first place, while Specs is an affectionate, spotted idiot horse (in a nice way!) who's so happy-go-lucky, he'd forget what happened within a minute.

So I guess I'm okay with disciplining Specs like that.

Changing my ways today! going to do some groundwork and tackle this problem! (hopefully!) wish me luck.
     
    10-30-2011, 11:40 AM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunJumpRide    


Changing my ways today! going to do some groundwork and tackle this problem! (hopefully!) wish me luck.

Good luck :) Post an update if you get a chance, got nothing to do today and bored!
     
    10-30-2011, 12:13 PM
  #10
Weanling
A tip I have recently learned- when you are standing holding him try not to move your feet, even if he starts shoving you. If he is able to make you move your feet that puts him in charge. If you keep your feet still then you are in charge. When you are practicing with him and he does that, make HIM move his feet- ie.- push him sideways away from you to make him yield to your space. Do a lot of yielding exercises like putting pressure on his shoulder to make him move his front feet over, and behind his girth to move his back end. You might need to use the butt end of a crop, at first. He will eventually figure out that it's a lot easier to just stand still. When he finally does stand still and lowers his head and relaxes give him a lot of praise. But not treats, as it looks like that would just make him pushier!
     

Tags
behavior, fail, halter, horse, poa

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seeking: Show Halter (pony) lead shank, pony bit twogeldings Tack and Equipment Classifieds 1 10-02-2011 04:37 PM
Showing a crossbred pony halter?!? Southern Horse Showmanship 5 05-13-2011 02:18 PM
Updated Purple Pony Halter ShutUpJoe Horses for Sale 13 10-06-2010 10:31 PM
Halter-Bridle,Bit,Pony Pad for Sale thunderhooves Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 10-01-2009 09:30 PM
Stall chaos. .Delete. Barn Maintenance 7 02-21-2008 02:31 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0