Hackamore trained horse going to bit.
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Hackamore trained horse going to bit.

This is a discussion on Hackamore trained horse going to bit. within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Hackamore training
  • Pasa finos and hackamores

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-07-2012, 12:01 PM
  #1
Weanling
Hackamore trained horse going to bit.

My paso fino has never been bitted before last Sunday. I put him in a loose ring snaffle. I just wasn't getting the results I wanted from the english hackamore. He was pretty much ignoring me. He was chewing the bit the entire time it was in. I didn't ride him around just walked around the corral with him. Didn't want to shock him too much all at once. Still, chew chew chew. He's a mouthy horse to begin with. If it gets close to his mouth he'll chew on it, doesn't matter what it is. I just didn't feel like chewing the bit was particularly good for him. How can I get him to stop?

Yes I'm signed up for training and lessons in April. Till then I'm on my own and am looking for good advice.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-07-2012, 12:56 PM
  #2
mls
Trained
Is it the right size? Standard size is 5 inches but that could be too big/small for your horse. Also how loose was the headstall? If the bit is sitting too low they will mouth it as it's in the way.
     
    03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
  #3
Teen Forum Moderator
I also would wonder about whether or not your bridle and bit are correctly fitted. I recently started my four year old mare with no bridle experience in a half cheek, and she was constantly chewing on her bit. I assumed that it was inexperience and that she's settle down, but two weeks later she was still chewing. Had my trainer take a look at it, and not only was the bit too big for her (by 1/4 of an inch. You wouldn't think that would make a difference but it does) but I had it fitted too low, and it was touching her teeth every time that she moved her mouth. Make sure that is IS fitted right on every part (browband, bit, cheekpieces, throatlatch etc) and if it isn't, alter it until it is. If it's bothering him you can very easily sour him to the bit, and that takes a long time to correct.

If it's fitted right and he's still chewing, I'd try a different kind of bit. Different horses work better with different bits. He might prefer something fuller, or with/without joints. There are also different types of metal that you can choose from, anywhere from german silver to copper or stainless steel. It's just going to take some experimentation, and he may never be perfectly quiet with his mouth. Some just like to chomp. If he does though, its even more important to make sure that he's fitted well and is floated regularely to keep him from wearing down his teeth painfully or catching himself with it.
     
    03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
  #4
Weanling
I hope this doesn't come off sounding rude, as I certainly don't intend that...but, I'm curious. In the thread title you say "hackamore trained" and then you say you aren't getting the results you want and so want to bit the horse. Is the horse really trained for the hackamore or was that just a loose term? If he/she is trained and responds to the hackamore normally, I would wonder if something else has changed. Excluding all possible pain issues first of course, could it be that you are asking something different of the horse and perhaps the communication is not entirely clear yet? Could it also be that the two of you need to work on some respect issues and the horse is just challenging you a little?
I suppose a core question in my mind is do you really want to go to bitting the horse or are you trying to "bit" over some training holes?
     
    03-07-2012, 01:53 PM
  #5
Trained
IMO I would take an old headstall with JUST THE BIT, and let him sit in his stall with it for several hours at a time. IF the bit is the right size~
How to Fit a Snaffle Bit | eHow.com
He may just need time to adjust to it. There is a current trend that believes bits are wrong, and maybe the trainer never introduced one to your horse. His reaction sounds like a 2 yo being bitted for the first time.
     
    03-07-2012, 02:01 PM
  #6
Banned
If he's never been bitted then you can't just put a bit in and expect him to just stand there and do nothing.

All he's doing is mouthing it and that's not a bad thing at all. Indeed it's a good thing.

You might find this helpful:

Mouthing and Bitting - Old Fashioned Equitation Advice
     
    03-07-2012, 02:17 PM
  #7
Trained
I read your post Hoopla, and I agree. I guess I just wanted to point out what YOU did
http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trai...8/#post1396344
That the bit isn't the problem.
     
    03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
  #8
Weanling
I'm starting to realize that he is one of those gentle horses that may never have been broken. I don't think he quite knows what I want him to do. He trys but he just isn't getting it. He's never been lunged or at least he doesn't know how. I've been trying to teach him but it's been slow going.
I just feel like a bit would give me a bit more control and him a bit more guidance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenBackJack    
I hope this doesn't come off sounding rude, as I certainly don't intend that...but, I'm curious. In the thread title you say "hackamore trained" and then you say you aren't getting the results you want and so want to bit the horse. Is the horse really trained for the hackamore or was that just a loose term? If he/she is trained and responds to the hackamore normally, I would wonder if something else has changed. Excluding all possible pain issues first of course, could it be that you are asking something different of the horse and perhaps the communication is not entirely clear yet? Could it also be that the two of you need to work on some respect issues and the horse is just challenging you a little?
I suppose a core question in my mind is do you really want to go to bitting the horse or are you trying to "bit" over some training holes?
     
    03-07-2012, 02:39 PM
  #9
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by furbabymum    
I'm starting to realize that he is one of those gentle horses that may never have been broken. I don't think he quite knows what I want him to do. He trys but he just isn't getting it. He's never been lunged or at least he doesn't know how. I've been trying to teach him but it's been slow going.
I just feel like a bit would give me a bit more control and him a bit more guidance.
You can't expect him to know if he's never been properly taught.

Now I'm not particularly talking about bits and please don't mistake me for a fan of the hackamore. I'm not.

I mean generally.

You really can't just stick a bit in a horses mouth on Sunday and then by Wednesday be on a forum 'complaining' that he doesn't know what to do.

You need to give him time and let him learn.

BUT you need to know what you're doing and I'm going to be brutally honest here. The fact you're posting to 'complain' he's doing what he should be doing when he's first bitted I.e. Mouthing and chewing on it, makes me think you really are best advised to elicit the help of a trainer to work with your horse and you and to help you to help him.
     
    03-07-2012, 02:52 PM
  #10
Weanling
We are going to the trainers in April. I've never ridden a horse that mouthed the bit before. It was his first time. I wrongly assumed it was abnormal. I wouldn't say I was complaining, seeking direction is what I thought I was doing.
I haven't ridden him at all with a bit. Just seeking guidance until I can see a professional.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopla    
You can't expect him to know if he's never been properly taught.

Now I'm not particularly talking about bits and please don't mistake me for a fan of the hackamore. I'm not.

I mean generally.

You really can't just stick a bit in a horses mouth on Sunday and then by Wednesday be on a forum 'complaining' that he doesn't know what to do.

You need to give him time and let him learn.

BUT you need to know what you're doing and I'm going to be brutally honest here. The fact you're posting to 'complain' he's doing what he should be doing when he's first bitted I.e. Mouthing and chewing on it, makes me think you really are best advised to elicit the help of a trainer to work with your horse and you and to help you to help him.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My first ever western trained horse netty83 Horse Pictures 6 01-10-2012 12:40 AM
How well trained is your horse? RedTree Horse Training 21 03-17-2011 11:11 PM
Never trained a horse before, now have 3. Eeek! trIplEcrOwngIrl Horse Training 2 10-18-2009 01:48 PM
Can my horse be trained for dressage? kitten_Val Dressage 17 10-02-2009 04:27 PM
Must have a horse this trained... My2Geldings Horse Training 10 06-12-2008 12:45 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0