HELP! Appy gelding who is pushy and buddy sour
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

HELP! Appy gelding who is pushy and buddy sour

This is a discussion on HELP! Appy gelding who is pushy and buddy sour within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • New gelding with buddy sour mare and gelding
  • Gelding buddy sour from mare

Like Tree4Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-27-2013, 05:08 PM
  #1
Foal
Unhappy HELP! Appy gelding who is pushy and buddy sour

I purchased a 9 year old Appaloosa Gelding and I have a couple problems. First he is buddy sour once his mare is gone he goes nuts! He will not listen. I don't have an arena, but I do have a round pen. What should I do? Also he is lazy! And unresponsive. He does have a snaffle but dosnt obey it whatsoever. Please help and any advice is very much appreciated.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-27-2013, 08:22 PM
  #2
Green Broke
Is this our first horse? How much experience do you have. What is this horse trained to do? Where did you get him? How well trained is he supposed to be?


Sounds like might be a horse has your number deal but need more information.
     
    01-28-2013, 06:11 PM
  #3
Foal
Palomine,
First no he isnt my first horse.
Second I am about an advanced beginner.
He is green broke, but when I rode him at the place of purchase he was a complete angel and responded well, but he was in an arena, he acted as though he was a gentle easy going horse. I got him at a show horse breeding place and the reason he was sold was because he was not show horse material. He is basically western trained.
     
    01-29-2013, 12:08 AM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyGirl    
I purchased a 9 year old Appaloosa Gelding and I have a couple problems. First he is buddy sour once his mare is gone he goes nuts! He will not listen. I don't have an arena, but I do have a round pen. What should I do? Also he is lazy! And unresponsive. He does have a snaffle but dosnt obey it whatsoever. Please help and any advice is very much appreciated.
Appaloosa's are known for being stubborn and lazy LOL I also have a 10yr. Old gelding.
With him being buddy sour I would take him into the round pen, does he know ground work at all? Lunging for respect, where he will turn into you to change directions as you step back and point? Do you have a stick/string? Get him paying attention to you and not what's going on outside of the round pen or who he can't see. If he got lazy I would chase him slapping the string behind him, you don't need to hit him with it but if he isn't taking you seriously you might have to spank him with it for him to take you seriously. My appy would test everyone LOL not walking straight, turning around to head home, etc......it just takes time/patience for them to learn you are serious and are the leader.
I follow Clinton Anderson's methods, if you do a search on Youtube you can find some vids to watch that might help you.
RockyTrails likes this.
     
    01-29-2013, 12:21 AM
  #5
Started
Depending on the horse, by 9 should be pretty well broke and not try to kill you, first thing I'd do is tie him up alone till he calms down Then work on riding alone and away from his buddy's. I've actually dealt with it a lot. And still do, my gelding is buddy sour. I'll make him ride away from the rest of the herd while they practice. I decide how far we go away then stand facing away from them. Then I make sure he walks back to them. We take him to shows but leave him alone at the trailer. When going back to the trailer or the pasture area, he has to walk past. If he's calm he can be done. If not, we keep going. I even work on it in hand, when it's feeding time, well walk past the hitching rail and go do flexation or leading backing exercises. He never chooses our path. Just some thoughts, I ain't no trainer
Posted via Mobile Device
Thunderspark and RockyTrails like this.
     
    01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
  #6
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderspark    
Appaloosa's are known for being stubborn and lazy LOL I also have a 10yr. Old gelding.
With him being buddy sour I would take him into the round pen, does he know ground work at all? Lunging for respect, where he will turn into you to change directions as you step back and point? Do you have a stick/string? Get him paying attention to you and not what's going on outside of the round pen or who he can't see. If he got lazy I would chase him slapping the string behind him, you don't need to hit him with it but if he isn't taking you seriously you might have to spank him with it for him to take you seriously. My appy would test everyone LOL not walking straight, turning around to head home, etc......it just takes time/patience for them to learn you are serious and are the leader.
I follow Clinton Anderson's methods, if you do a search on Youtube you can find some vids to watch that might help you.
Thankyou! I will look up clinton anderson, have never cheacked out his method, but I think I will now :)
     
    01-30-2013, 06:47 PM
  #7
Foal
Thanks everyone!
     
    01-30-2013, 06:52 PM
  #8
Trained
It's all that mare's fault he is kept with. Mares makes geldings do stupid things.
KylieHuitema likes this.
     
    01-30-2013, 07:13 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by waresbear    
It's all that mare's fault he is kept with. Mares makes geldings do stupid things.
we have one mare. Could she be causing some of the buddy sourness? He whinnies the most when she is gone
     
    01-30-2013, 07:15 PM
  #10
Trained
Oh you betcha! She has bewitched him, you need to break her spell over him.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
buddy sour? meghanlovee11 Horse Training 8 11-12-2012 09:41 PM
Buddy Sour KatelynAnne96 Horse Training 11 09-07-2012 05:47 PM
Gelding getting dangerous with barn/buddy sour issue Blondehorselover Horse Training 6 06-27-2012 11:29 AM
buddy sour instead of barn sour taylormadechief Horse Training 1 08-04-2011 02:35 PM
buddy sour english_rider144 Horse Training 3 09-29-2009 09:14 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0