HELP! Lunging youngster.
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

HELP! Lunging youngster.

This is a discussion on HELP! Lunging youngster. within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • How much pressure to have on bridle when lunging a 3 year old
  • Lunging youngsters

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-18-2010, 07:32 AM
  #1
Foal
HELP! Lunging youngster.

Hey, I have a 3 year old New Forest X Fell, when I first started lunging about 6 months ago he was really good and got the hang of it. VERY recently he has started facing inwards and will trot towards me, if I flick the lunge whip at his shoulders/ girth or anything, it doesnt bother him at all! This problem has got worse as if I try push him back out now, he jumps towards me on his back legs and stands as close to me as possible.
Any advise ?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-18-2010, 07:45 AM
  #2
Green Broke
Attach him to the lunge and physically walk round with him in a circle, very gradually get further and further away. If he drifts towards you then do the same thing again untill he gets the idea. He's only 3, he will learn fast. My horse does the same thing and he's 11 :) but at that age I can just get on him :).
Good luck with him, is he broken yet?
     
    02-18-2010, 08:49 AM
  #3
Banned
First, check and make sure you are positionally correct and have not inadvertently closed your hip and asked him in, or gotten too far behind his girth and pushed his haunches out.

Second, make sure you aren't giving him an inappropriate rein aid, inadvertently asking him in.

Third, up your pressure so that it equals his and keep upping it until he concedes. Sometimes a flick just isn't enough.

Do those three things in that order and it's a 30 second fix.
     
    02-18-2010, 09:03 AM
  #4
Foal
Okay, I will try it with him, No he has not been broken in yet, only lunged in a bridle.
Most of the time when he does it, he can be in canter and just turn in comepletly randomly and trot in to me.
Thankyou for your advise, will let you know how we get on.
     
    02-18-2010, 10:05 AM
  #5
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsidetwig    
Okay, I will try it with him, No he has not been broken in yet, only lunged in a bridle.
Most of the time when he does it, he can be in canter and just turn in comepletly randomly and trot in to me.
Thankyou for your advise, will let you know how we get on.
If you still have problems you can go to two lunge lines with the second one attached to the outside and either over his back or around and behind his rear. When he come in the outside lunge will apply more pressure straightening him and sending him back outside.
     
    02-18-2010, 12:10 PM
  #6
Green Broke
Ya I would say... for one he isnt respecting your space. Make sure you make it clear to him where you want him to go staying behind his shoulders and hand pointed in the direction you want him to go. If you have to up the flick to a pop! It would be the same in a herd if he didnt move fast enough or get out of the way in time he would be bit from the dominant horse. Make sure you are his leader. Only inviting him in when you say. Or he gets bit. I hope this makes a little sense to you.
     
    02-18-2010, 12:15 PM
  #7
Weanling
I know what my trainer would do. He'd smack him him fast and hard the moment he got too close. He usually smacks the neck, but when a horse comes in like that (I asked him what he would do if a stallion he was training ever did come in at him) he said, Whatever I get, hard as I can.
     
    02-18-2010, 02:06 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbender    
ya I would say... for one he isnt respecting your space. Make sure you make it clear to him where you want him to go staying behind his shoulders and hand pointed in the direction you want him to go. If you have to up the flick to a pop! It would be the same in a herd if he didnt move fast enough or get out of the way in time he would be bit from the dominant horse. Make sure you are his leader. Only inviting him in when you say. Or he gets bit. I hope this makes a little sense to you.
yeahh that makes complete sense ! Will let you know how I get on
     
    02-18-2010, 06:35 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder    
If you still have problems you can go to two lunge lines with the second one attached to the outside and either over his back or around and behind his rear. When he come in the outside lunge will apply more pressure straightening him and sending him back outside.
I have a hunch this person is not ready for an advanced technique such as this.
     
    02-18-2010, 10:24 PM
  #10
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rule of Reason    
I have a hunch this person is not ready for an advanced technique such as this.

Well you see I have a few options.

I can mongrolize an answer so it sounds right even if it goes against my principle of "if your going to give advice, give the best you can".

Or

I can just ignore help requests, and this I am doing more and more often.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Retraining proper lunging? Or better yet correcting bad lunging habits? CookieHorseGirl Horse Training 5 12-09-2009 04:53 PM
Want to try training youngster snowymistsmom Horse Training 12 10-31-2009 02:26 PM
feed for a youngster jazzyrider Horse Health 12 01-27-2009 05:19 AM
Bringing on a Youngster! jemma_bailey Horse Training 17 05-19-2008 08:50 PM
need a youngster blaze1 Tack and Equipment Classifieds 0 02-26-2007 05:46 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0