Help Trailering a VERY diffcult mare - Page 11
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Help Trailering a VERY diffcult mare

This is a discussion on Help Trailering a VERY diffcult mare within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • 11 diffcult

Like Tree126Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-04-2013, 12:23 PM
  #101
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacowgirl    
Sounds like she got a good home & the owner for sure knows the trouble you had w/the trailer. Hope she can get her over it. But at least it's not your headache anymore!
she has been texting me already today to tell me how happy she is with her. She definitely knows all the trailering issues.She will be working alot with the trailering and is prepaired that she may not ever have a great loading horse.
Thunderspark likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-04-2013, 12:25 PM
  #102
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporal    
SO happy for you!! Even if you end up hating the horse, you really want them to bond with somebody else. =D
I actually don't hate her I did hat the trailer thing but I felt bad that she was trained so roughly in the beginng and it made her the way she is.

I am glad she is gone though
Thunderspark likes this.
     
    03-04-2013, 03:00 PM
  #103
Trained
Hands Critter a large glass of whatever she fancies, you deserve it.
     
    03-05-2013, 09:32 AM
  #104
Weanling
I didn't go through all 11 pages.

I am glad the new owner loves her and understanding with her loading issues!

While loading into a tiny 2 horse, a friends horse would get half in/half out and then come blasting back out with any pressure. She walked him up again and I started tapping the back legs and he stepped on up. I guess the tapping kept the backs legs active and it was drama free!

If that wasn't tried, it is definite worth an attempt with the new owner.
     
    03-06-2013, 01:19 PM
  #105
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
Hands Critter a large glass of whatever she fancies, you deserve it.
Thank you GH I still have not had that Glass yet LOL I did take the kiddo for supper and Icecream though.. I need to have that drink and relax a little
Dustbunny likes this.
     
    03-06-2013, 01:21 PM
  #106
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldebono    
I didn't go through all 11 pages.

I am glad the new owner loves her and understanding with her loading issues!

While loading into a tiny 2 horse, a friends horse would get half in/half out and then come blasting back out with any pressure. She walked him up again and I started tapping the back legs and he stepped on up. I guess the tapping kept the backs legs active and it was drama free!

If that wasn't tried, it is definite worth an attempt with the new owner.
yes that tapping and others were tried.. I think her new Owner will do great with her and in the end the lariat and the pressure it gave worked best.
aldebono likes this.
     
    03-06-2013, 07:39 PM
  #107
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter sitter    
OK so I sold my mare. And we sold due to her trailering issues.
We have tried for 3 days now to get her to load and have not gotten her in.

I am at my wits end here with her. I have had 2 trainers try I have tried and to no avail she is one that wil explode if you put to much pressure on her.

My goal her is to get her in the trailer NOT train her. I don't want her or anyone hurt. The new owner is very aware of her issues and is ready and willing as long as I can get her to her. This video is a short moment in 4 hours of the same thing

Her is a short video of yesterdays gentle attempt.
F75D161D-93F6-4AFE-A988-B66ACF5E04C4-899-0000005DF95EB40F_zps911ed200.mp4 Video by saving_grace01 | Photobucket

Any suggestions??

Also
I know there are Many many ways so all are welcome..
This is the only trailer available and she had loaded into it before.
I once owned a horse who was known for NOT being able to load. He was a 16'3hh thoroughbred who just would not trailer. The way I deal with something like this is dealing with the situation THAT DAY, and not dwell on what might be causing the behavior(whether it be he/she won't load because of fear, previous accident/stubborness etc). If you try to load based on those fears, that will translate into YOUR behaviors while trying to load that given horse, which they sense.

This method of doing this, will require you to start off your mind on a blank slate, will require patience and will require time. If you're on a time crunch then don't this until you have the time to invest into this.

I did this once with him, and I never had issues again.

Put your horse on a lunge line, and open up the trailer ready for loading. Have a lunging whip with you. What you are going to be doing is giving your horse 2 options: 1) load onto the trailer or 2)work hard on the lunge line instead of loading into the trailer. My gelding had to learn that it was easier to load onto the trailer(have feed ready to go with it), than to work hard.

Ask her/him to load onto the trailer the way you normally do, if the horse does NOT load, you instantly ask for a brisk trot on the lunge line and by brisk I mean a GOOD strong working trot(no lazy slacking trot). I would do 4-5 good circles then stop her/him and ask to load into the trailer again. Repeat as needed until he/she loads.

It tooks me TWO HOURS the day I did this with my gelding, because he would not load. Once he loaded, I turned it into a party, pats! "good boy!" and lots of treats. Only once after that day did he hesitate to load, and all I did was one "lunging" circle on just the lead rope I had on, and he remembered! Right on he loaded.

By the end of this, I had a horse who I had to simply verbally ask "walk on" with no aids at all, and he would walk himself onto the trailer. I never got mad at him, never got frustrated, I just gave HIM the options of what he wanted to do. He realized the trailering one was a great one.

Good luck.
GallopingGuitarist likes this.
     
    03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
  #108
Started
Edited to say We did this with her just the way you are and it does not work with her Just stresses her out and she becomes hostile the first loading went like this and it took 8 1/2 hours. This last one took 5 days and my Amazing daughter whom I have so much respect finally loaded her alone with a lariat butt loop and lead..
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2Geldings    
I once owned a horse who was known for NOT being able to load. He was a 16'3hh thoroughbred who just would not trailer. The way I deal with something like this is dealing with the situation THAT DAY, and not dwell on what might be causing the behavior(whether it be he/she won't load because of fear, previous accident/stubborness etc). If you try to load based on those fears, that will translate into YOUR behaviors while trying to load that given horse, which they sense.

This method of doing this, will require you to start off your mind on a blank slate, will require patience and will require time. If you're on a time crunch then don't this until you have the time to invest into this.

I did this once with him, and I never had issues again.

Put your horse on a lunge line, and open up the trailer ready for loading. Have a lunging whip with you. What you are going to be doing is giving your horse 2 options: 1) load onto the trailer or 2)work hard on the lunge line instead of loading into the trailer. My gelding had to learn that it was easier to load onto the trailer(have feed ready to go with it), than to work hard.

Ask her/him to load onto the trailer the way you normally do, if the horse does NOT load, you instantly ask for a brisk trot on the lunge line and by brisk I mean a GOOD strong working trot(no lazy slacking trot). I would do 4-5 good circles then stop her/him and ask to load into the trailer again. Repeat as needed until he/she loads.

It tooks me TWO HOURS the day I did this with my gelding, because he would not load. Once he loaded, I turned it into a party, pats! "good boy!" and lots of treats. Only once after that day did he hesitate to load, and all I did was one "lunging" circle on just the lead rope I had on, and he remembered! Right on he loaded.

By the end of this, I had a horse who I had to simply verbally ask "walk on" with no aids at all, and he would walk himself onto the trailer. I never got mad at him, never got frustrated, I just gave HIM the options of what he wanted to do. He realized the trailering one was a great one.

Good luck.
thank you for the info

as you may have seen at the end she was loaded.... Great info though
     
    03-07-2013, 11:51 AM
  #109
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter sitter    
edited to say We did this with her just the way you are and it does not work with her Just stresses her out and she becomes hostile the first loading went like this and it took 8 1/2 hours. This last one took 5 days and my Amazing daughter whom I have so much respect finally loaded her alone with a lariat butt loop and lead..
Thank you for the info

as you may have seen at the end she was loaded.... Great info though
LOL, didn't work with Ben either, he just got stressed and hostile, the lariat butt rope, that is my go to from now on
Critter sitter likes this.
     
    03-07-2013, 11:57 AM
  #110
Started
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Horse    
LOL, didn't work with Ben either, he just got stressed and hostile, the lariat butt rope, that is my go to from now on
I'll send Bre to help
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trailering Mare/Foal? crazyfilly Horse Talk 5 08-13-2012 03:15 AM
trailering ozarkmama Horse Training 4 07-05-2012 11:24 AM
Trailering themacpack Horse Training 11 04-24-2012 06:35 PM
Trailering TwisterRush Horse Talk 3 10-13-2009 03:56 PM
trailering thorprincess Horse Training 8 03-21-2007 02:59 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0