Helping a horse overcome bad experiences
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Helping a horse overcome bad experiences

This is a discussion on Helping a horse overcome bad experiences within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree39Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-14-2013, 07:58 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Helping a horse overcome bad experiences

    Hi guys!

    So, my horse is a 5 year old gelding. He isn't trained, but I am working with him. He is absolutely scared of the saddle and won't let me put anything onto his back, including a blanket. While he was boarding at another place while he was owned by his previous owner, he had a bad experience. Someone unknowledgable mistook him for another horse and tried to saddle him (his first time even seeing a saddle) in a stall. Ever since then, he's had problems. I was wondering how I can help him overcome this issue.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-14-2013, 08:01 PM
      #2
    Green Broke
    Simply put - you have to get past it first. The longer you look at this past experience as any sort of excuse for continued bad behaviors the longer you will have the problems you are having with him.
    What problems is he having specifically? What training methodology do you subscribe to?
         
        04-14-2013, 08:07 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    I have him boarded at a trainers house right now, but we haven't started the riding yet. We are just working on the ground right now. He rears when you try and put a blanket on him, I haven't put a saddle on him yet.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        04-14-2013, 09:30 PM
      #4
    Started
    Let him sniff it if he wants to. Start with the blanket. Find the limit to the distance he'll let you have it... Move back and forth with it till he's comfortable at that distance. Keep doing this until you can touch him with it. Touch him where he'll let you, that'll likely be the nose or the shoulder. Rub it quickly down him till you know where he's uncomfortable with it. When you find that spot quickly take the blanket away from him and go back and do the same thing until he's comfortable with it. He'll probably let you only rub it down his neck first. Eventually you'll be able to put it on his back alright. For the saddle do the same thing except the rubbing on him part. Let him sniff it every time he wants to. Move back and forth as if you're going to put the saddle on him, but don't. Eventually he'll be okay with it, and that's when you can set the saddle on him. Like I said, just set it there. I'd then take it off and leave it for the day to give the horse time to think about the experience and realize it wont hurt him... If you do up the saddle and try to get on, on the first day, it could overload him and ruin everything
         
        04-14-2013, 09:35 PM
      #5
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Nokotaheaven    
    Let him sniff it if he wants to. Start with the blanket. Find the limit to the distance he'll let you have it... Move back and forth with it till he's comfortable at that distance. Keep doing this until you can touch him with it. Touch him where he'll let you, that'll likely be the nose or the shoulder. Rub it quickly down him till you know where he's uncomfortable with it. When you find that spot quickly take the blanket away from him and go back and do the same thing until he's comfortable with it. He'll probably let you only rub it down his neck first. Eventually you'll be able to put it on his back alright. For the saddle do the same thing except the rubbing on him part. Let him sniff it every time he wants to. Move back and forth as if you're going to put the saddle on him, but don't. Eventually he'll be okay with it, and that's when you can set the saddle on him. Like I said, just set it there. I'd then take it off and leave it for the day to give the horse time to think about the experience and realize it wont hurt him... If you do up the saddle and try to get on, on the first day, it could overload him and ruin everything
    Yes - this is "approach and retreat" -- if you look on youtube you can find videos of it in practice, many featuring some very respected trainers.
    Nokotaheaven likes this.
         
        04-14-2013, 10:41 PM
      #6
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by themacpack    
    Yes - this is "approach and retreat" -- if you look on youtube you can find videos of it in practice, many featuring some very respected trainers.
    Yep :)
    I have used it for everything, and so far so good
         
        04-15-2013, 04:49 AM
      #7
    Green Broke
    Is he tied when you are introducing the blanket or loose or in hand?

    And do you have a be still command you use?

    How does he behave when grooming, does he stand or dance around?
         
        04-15-2013, 09:47 AM
      #8
    Showing
    Did you see that saddling? Maybe he's outsmarting you. "If I wear that thing she's going to get on and make me work." Go outside the barn and using a rope halter, give him about 4' of lead so he can move around a bit. Hold the pad low and show it to him then move it a bit behind you. Do this a dozen times then move to his other side. You are training both eyes (sides of his brain). Come back and start again only this time (use your left hand) swing it up toward his neck. Bore him to tears with it. If you arm tires switch sides. Never quit if he's moving. Gradually work the pad until it lands on his back then off. Again until he's bored. He'll drop his hip. That hind foot isn't forward to kick, it's denotes relaxation. I promise you your arms will begin to feel like lead so as long as he's standing still you can take a break.
         
        04-15-2013, 03:10 PM
      #9
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palomine    
    Is he tied when you are introducing the blanket or loose or in hand?
    And do you have a be still command you use?

    How does he behave when grooming, does he stand or dance around?
    He is never tied. I'm working with him in a round pen, and he loves to be groomed. I can rub him around his body, he just freaks out when the saddle comes near him. He has never been ridden, just had the saddle thrown on.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Nokotaheaven likes this.
         
        04-15-2013, 04:06 PM
      #10
    Super Moderator
    I think you need to have him in control, he needs to learn how to be tied.
    I would have a towel or something similar. Have a hold of the horse and just keep throwing the towel over his back. If he goes around you in a circle then let him (personally I wouldn't allow him to do this but doubt you have the experience or the know how to stop him) I would keep throwing the towel over his back until he just stands and accepts it, then put him away. When he is taking no notice of this and is relaxed with it, I would introduce the saddle.
    I would use a bareback pad as it is lighter to throw on. Once use to that and to it being girthed up, I would introduce his saddle.

    I do think that as he is at the trainers you would be better to leave it to the professionals. As long as you have the attitude that he has a fear of the saddle, he will never get over it.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Bad Horse Riding Accidents & How did you overcome it? Marquie93 Horse Talk 8 08-10-2011 07:03 PM
    How to overcome horse clamping jaw shut when trying to tack up? ArabianDream Horse Training 9 02-12-2011 06:58 PM
    Bad Show Experiences AislingxXx1234 Horse Shows 4 12-29-2010 12:48 AM
    Bad experiences with barn managers... grr! Gleebee Barn Maintenance 11 06-02-2009 07:31 PM
    BAD riding experiences!!! Share Yours! Lots of Ouch! Small_Town_Girl Horse Riding 12 07-13-2008 02:33 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0