Hill Therapy - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Hill Therapy

This is a discussion on Hill Therapy within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Riding during parelli hill therapy
  • Pat parelli hills

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-15-2010, 05:11 PM
  #21
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marecare    
I recommend that you use a specially designed Pat Parelli hill.
He sells them for $875 dollars each.



Just kidding!
LOL!! I was thinking the same thing. . .

Pat Parelli's "Hill Therapy?" Really?

Around here, we just call it trail riding.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-15-2010, 05:12 PM
  #22
Yearling
What the heck is hill therapy? Is it the concept of riding a horse up and down hills? Because if it is then I am the BEST hill therapist in the history of the world!
     
    01-15-2010, 05:30 PM
  #23
Showing
I plan on starting Saro on some hill work because of her stifle lock. We have a water shed lake with a dam across the road. I was thinking of using that (I will be ponying her) Is that steep enough or not enough? This is Kansas so its not too hilly. The only other hills are really rocky.
Also, so I should start off just going up and down the hill 3-4 times and work up to more, or start with more?
Here's an old photo of one of the hills across the road from us, you can see how rocky it is. Maybe the rocks will give more of a workout. I don't have any pics of the dam but it is much steeper
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01132_00.jpg (40.8 KB, 68 views)
     
    01-15-2010, 05:43 PM
  #24
Green Broke
*i havent read all the posts*
Hill work is great for every horse! It reall gets em using their hind legs!
But lets keep this clear: parelli did not come up with that, that was knowladge was before parelli came into the world! He just gave it another name.

Vidaloco: I think the hill you were talking about would be fine, haha holey smokes it is rocky! The least rockiest hill you find will be good enough :) even the slightest incline will do good
     
    01-15-2010, 05:49 PM
  #25
Showing
^^ thanks, I may stick with the dam. Every natural hill around here is exactly the same way.
     
    01-15-2010, 09:49 PM
  #26
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marecare    
I recommend that you use a specially designed Pat Parelli hill.
He sells them for $875 dollars each.



Just kidding!

Leave it to Parelli to make riding up and down a hill into a gimmick. What level do you have to be before you get to go up a hill.
     
    01-15-2010, 10:03 PM
  #27
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
Leave it to Parelli to make riding up and down a hill into a gimmick. What level do you have to be before you get to go up a hill.


Well now Kevin,
I am glad that you asked that question.
We have four different levels of hills for our hill therapy.
There is a video tape series for each level and then you get a certificate for each level.
Now these are "Natural" hills and we have special names for each level.
We start out with the "Natural bunny slope" hill and end with the "Natural Matterhorn cliff climber".
We also have an apprentice program for the hill therapy and after finishing the program you will be considered a full fledged hilly dilly!
     
    01-15-2010, 10:40 PM
  #28
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marecare    
Well now Kevin,
I am glad that you asked that question.
We have four different levels of hills for our hill therapy.
There is a video tape series for each level and then you get a certificate for each level.
Now these are "Natural" hills and we have special names for each level.
We start out with the "Natural bunny slope" hill and end with the "Natural Matterhorn cliff climber".
We also have an apprentice program for the hill therapy and after finishing the program you will be considered a full fledged hilly dilly!
that's right Marecare! And for the small additional cost of $69.99, you can purchase Our exclusive horse crampons! With these on your horses feet You will look like a real hilly dilly!
     
    01-15-2010, 11:39 PM
  #29
Trained
I only have geldings so I don't think I need horse crampons! Sign me up for the hill program. You do take checks right?
     
    01-16-2010, 01:28 PM
  #30
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
Leave it to Parelli to make riding up and down a hill into a gimmick. What level do you have to be before you get to go up a hill.
Believe it or not. . .I looked it up, because it just cracked me up to hear that the P's have "invented" yet another gimmick.

According to the .pdf file I found from the P's own site, they recommend that a horse be at Level 2 before starting "Hill Therapy."

Fortunately for the Parellites who have spent a fortune on overpriced Parelli saddles and bridles but are still afraid to actually get on and ride, the site explains how it can be done using the lunge line. . .oops. . .I mean "training line."

Of course, it is okay for the horse to stop and face the handler during the exercise, or even to stop and graze for a few seconds. . .:roll:
     

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0