Hire a trainer or be my own? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Hire a trainer or be my own?

This is a discussion on Hire a trainer or be my own? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree3Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-16-2012, 10:43 PM
      #11
    Banned
    I love join up.

    Don't worry about slow progress. The slow way is the right way, always.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-16-2012, 10:52 PM
      #12
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TXgrey    
    I love join up.

    Don't worry about slow progress. The slow way is the right way, always.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Join up is amazing! I've recomended it to a lot of people

    I guess Ill continue with my youtube training and continue searching for lessons (I really hope this place works out!) Thank you so much!


    Im not gona lie, on past forums any training issue I ever asked about people would tell me I needed to get a trainer. It was always their answer for something as simple as getting the horse to trot next to you. That's one reason why I love this forum, its extremly helpful and people actually give you advice!
         
        10-17-2012, 04:03 AM
      #13
    Foal
    I just have a small comment regarding doing it yourself, what happens if you watch the video for the training and are doing one part wrong are we doing more good or enforcing 1 negative behavior in our training? I feel from personal experience if you can find a trainer that will train you to work and train your horse you are better off, one that can give you critique to do this or that small thing to make your training effective. I don't like sending off for 30 days as it doesn't teach you the rider anything, but if you train yourself without expert advice and making sure doing everything 100% right are you just making a horse with holes? Also IMO someone riding for years does not make them an expert to train.

    Tracy
    EvilHorseOfDoom likes this.
         
        10-17-2012, 09:52 AM
      #14
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dixieray53    
    I just have a small comment regarding doing it yourself, what happens if you watch the video for the training and are doing one part wrong are we doing more good or enforcing 1 negative behavior in our training? I feel from personal experience if you can find a trainer that will train you to work and train your horse you are better off, one that can give you critique to do this or that small thing to make your training effective. I don't like sending off for 30 days as it doesn't teach you the rider anything, but if you train yourself without expert advice and making sure doing everything 100% right are you just making a horse with holes? Also IMO someone riding for years does not make them an expert to train.

    Tracy
    Call some trainers in your area and see if they can come out to your place for an hour or two one day a month or something. You can show them everything you do with the horse and they can point out those "holes" if you have any.

    I have a trainer that charges mileage to drive out, and then $30 an hour to work with my horses when I need extra help, so it's pretty affordable. Most will do it if you just ask around.

    I think it's a better deal anyway because your horse is in his own environment and feels comfortable. Sometimes when you bring them to a trainer for a few hours for one lesson, they are nervous and looking around and checking things out and may act completely different than normal.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        10-17-2012, 10:09 AM
      #15
    Foal
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TXgrey    
    Call some trainers in your area and see if they can come out to your place for an hour or two one day a month or something. You can show them everything you do with the horse and they can point out those "holes" if you have any.

    I have a trainer that charges mileage to drive out, and then $30 an hour to work with my horses when I need extra help, so it's pretty affordable. Most will do it if you just ask around.

    I think it's a better deal anyway because your horse is in his own environment and feels comfortable. Sometimes when you bring them to a trainer for a few hours for one lesson, they are nervous and looking around and checking things out and may act completely different than normal.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Thanks for the advice for me, we have a trainer that comes and works with us once a week and gives us "homework" and the reason I said it and was telling the OP to do groundwork with professional assistance is due to fact that I have found little things that I was doing wrong even watching Clinton Anderson etc videos that I and others may not realize they are doing wrong.

    Thanks again for your advice, we were lucky and checked out trainers and ended up finding one, and then when speaking with her found she lived less than a mile from us.

    Tracy
         
        10-17-2012, 10:36 AM
      #16
    Green Broke
    I'll PM you the name of an excellent trainer in No CO. He's pretty inexpensive but really knows his stuff and WANTS you to come and see/learn how he's training your horse. He's really not too far from Wyoming and even though he's practically *cheap*, he's got an indoor so horses are worked all week long which is a good thing with Winter coming up!
         
        10-17-2012, 10:47 AM
      #17
    Green Broke
    Find a trainer that will do 30 days of training of your horse, with unlimited lessons for you.

    I've been riding since I was 2 yrs old. I'm 26 this year. For 2 summers, I trained colts to ride. I'm not a professional, but I consider myself to know a couple of things regarding training.

    Am I above sending my horse to another trainer? Absolutely not.

    There is always something you can learn from someone else. So I disagree to try it yourself first. You should at least get some lessons from a trainer first. They might easily point out something you could be doing different. That's what a fresh pair of eyes can do.

    I'll be taking my 6-yr-old to a trainer in February. He's doing pretty good and yes I could continue working on issues with him myself. But things will get resolved much quicker and more effectively with someone specialized in what I want to train him to do. We're starting with 30 days and we'll go from there. She offers unlimited lessons while the horse is in her care, because exactly: The trainer can get them to do certain things, but the owner/rider needs to be able to get them to do things too!
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Would you hire a woman farrier? sandy2u1 Horse Talk 50 04-14-2012 08:09 AM
    Would you hire a "teen trainer?" crimson88 Horse Training 61 08-08-2011 09:18 PM
    Need to hire a riding instructor! NOW! starlinestables Horse Training 6 05-27-2011 04:46 PM
    Who would you hire? Losthope236 Horse Talk 9 03-15-2011 02:44 PM
    Hire a trainer! rtdonell Horse Talk 13 07-08-2010 05:17 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:30 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0