Hormone problems in mares?
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Hormone problems in mares?

This is a discussion on Hormone problems in mares? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Best supplement for horse mare hormone
  • Mare hormone supplements

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-08-2010, 03:28 PM
  #1
Weanling
Hormone problems in mares?

Early this year and last fall/winter, my mare had had some interesting problems. Irritability under saddle, unwillingness to do basic excercises such as lead chages, anxiety and spooking, lack of focus, ect.

I have had the vet check her for pain.
I've had the massage therapist work with her for a bit, with small improvements.
I've also had the saddle fitter re-assess her saddle fit.

Everything came back fine. No pain or sore spots anywhere (from what the vet and massage therapist can tell) and her saddle fits her fine.

Just as I'm beginning to worry about her erratic behavior and mood swings, she does a complete 180.

She's now willing and forward under saddle. She changes her leads. She's stopped spooking at little things. She's much more focused. She isn't as cheesed off.

*Scratches head* What is going on? I'm wondering if mares can have extreme hormonal issues that could be causing this? Would it be worth checking with a vet? I'm mind boggled at her. Help?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-08-2010, 03:41 PM
  #2
Weanling
From my experience, it is quite possible for it to be hormonal issues. I would most definitely try talking to your vet about it, and there are quite a few different supplements you can use to help regulate her hormones.
     
    04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
  #3
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeventer17    
From my experience, it is quite possible for it to be hormonal issues. I would most definitely try talking to your vet about it, and there are quite a few different supplements you can use to help regulate her hormones.
Thanks! That was going to be my next question.
     
    04-08-2010, 06:05 PM
  #4
Green Broke
It might also be seasonal. I know my horses get a bit more touchy, irritable, and spooky in the winter.
     
    04-08-2010, 07:25 PM
  #5
Weanling
I have given my mare Prilosec at times to ease her tummy. I usually begin this when I notice she is a bit girthier than normal. She is also on a supplement of Raspberry leaves. You can buy these leaves on herbspicetea.com cheaply, and by the lb. If you look at the expensive supplement Mare Magic, it is one of the top ingredients. Furthermore, I also give her chaste berries, which need to be ground, but can also be found on the website I listed. They also help regulate a mare's hormones, and can be done in cost-effective way with definite results. My mare is not Mare-ish in any sense of the term, but I do find that because she is so level-headed and willing most days, I became really sensitive to noticing the small changes her cycles caused. Now that she is on the supplements, she is regular, and more even-keeled.

You can google Prilosec, chaste, and raspberry leaves for horses and draw your own conclusions. I prefer natural solutions for her, but some people have suggested regumate, which I would never use on my mare.
     
    04-08-2010, 08:18 PM
  #6
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorseys    
I have given my mare Prilosec at times to ease her tummy. I usually begin this when I notice she is a bit girthier than normal. She is also on a supplement of Raspberry leaves. You can buy these leaves on herbspicetea.com cheaply, and by the lb. If you look at the expensive supplement Mare Magic, it is one of the top ingredients. Furthermore, I also give her chaste berries, which need to be ground, but can also be found on the website I listed. They also help regulate a mare's hormones, and can be done in cost-effective way with definite results. My mare is not Mare-ish in any sense of the term, but I do find that because she is so level-headed and willing most days, I became really sensitive to noticing the small changes her cycles caused. Now that she is on the supplements, she is regular, and more even-keeled.

You can google Prilosec, chaste, and raspberry leaves for horses and draw your own conclusions. I prefer natural solutions for her, but some people have suggested regumate, which I would never use on my mare.
I would not recommend regu-mate except for extreme cases. In my opinion, supplements/medications that are not even supposed to touch human skin should not be going into a horse unless absolutely necessary.

That being said, that stuff seriously works. I know of a gelding (yes GELDING) who was gelded late that was very, very field aggressive. Tried to take out people numerous times when he first got to this specific barn. They put him on regu-mate and never had a problem again. Lol.
     
    04-08-2010, 09:17 PM
  #7
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahorseys    
You can google Prilosec, chaste, and raspberry leaves for horses and draw your own conclusions. I prefer natural solutions for her, but some people have suggested regumate, which I would never use on my mare.

I am all about finding healthy solutions for animals but just an FYI here- prilosec= a drug (eg not "all natural") and it is in fact the same drug that is sold as "gastroguard" but dosed properly for your horse. Giving them human amounts will do nothing but create a placebo effect so if it makes you feel better, go for it!

Additionally, regumate is progesterone which is a NATURAL hormone that your mare's body makes. It is upregulated during pregnancy and given to mares to calm them as it suppresses the estrogen wave that is usually what causes "mare-ishness".

For those of you who like to give "all natural" solutions to your horses, be aware that these, too are drugs. I would be very hesitant to give something to my horses or myself that hadn't been tested and determined to be safe. Everything can be safe or poisonous, it is the DOSE that matters and the dose is what is regulated in the case of drugs. Things like magnesium and selenium (as natural as they get) can be fatal to your horses in smaller amounts than you might think. Our state toxicologist sees poisonings all the time from well-intentioned owners trying to find natural remedies for their animals.

I am not advocating for or against any of the above mentioned treatments, I am just trying to share some information as there seem to be some misguided though well intentioned posts on here.
     
    04-09-2010, 08:26 AM
  #8
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealamutt    
I am all about finding healthy solutions for animals but just an FYI here- prilosec= a drug (eg not "all natural") and it is in fact the same drug that is sold as "gastroguard" but dosed properly for your horse. Giving them human amounts will do nothing but create a placebo effect so if it makes you feel better, go for it!

Additionally, regumate is progesterone which is a NATURAL hormone that your mare's body makes. It is upregulated during pregnancy and given to mares to calm them as it suppresses the estrogen wave that is usually what causes "mare-ishness".

For those of you who like to give "all natural" solutions to your horses, be aware that these, too are drugs. I would be very hesitant to give something to my horses or myself that hadn't been tested and determined to be safe. Everything can be safe or poisonous, it is the DOSE that matters and the dose is what is regulated in the case of drugs. Things like magnesium and selenium (as natural as they get) can be fatal to your horses in smaller amounts than you might think. Our state toxicologist sees poisonings all the time from well-intentioned owners trying to find natural remedies for their animals.

I am not advocating for or against any of the above mentioned treatments, I am just trying to share some information as there seem to be some misguided though well intentioned posts on here.
No, I agree. I didn't mean to say that I advocate herbal supplements strictly. Though I do prefer it for my mare. I think you need to look at the problem, consult your vet and figure out what you are dealing with exactly. Even for myself, I use herbals, but I'm not at all against the use of medical drugs if the condition permits it. I'd consider myself balanced. However, I think before you or your animal take anything, you should research the cause and effects and take advantage of being an informed consumer. There are also lots of way to treat your horse with the same (and oftentimes cheaper) ingredients in some sold supplements and medicaments.
     
    04-09-2010, 02:02 PM
  #9
Weanling
Has anyone ever spayed a mare?
     
    04-09-2010, 03:37 PM
  #10
Banned
A few weeks ago I posted on my strong preference for geldings. In fact I stated I would never own a mare because of harmonal problems.
Posters assured me that mares don't have problems and it was only in my head.
You must have the other harmonal mare, the only other one was in our barn.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hormone shot? erikaharmony Horse Health 5 01-29-2010 08:33 PM
Mares ChingazMyBoy Horse Training 61 11-15-2009 03:31 PM
Too nervous mare? Hormone imbalance? kitten_Val Horse Health 4 11-09-2009 11:50 PM
oh mares! Painted Ride Horse Breeding 13 10-24-2008 06:57 AM
Mares Mounting Mares? whitetrashwarmblood Horse Health 10 08-25-2008 10:52 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0