Horse is aggressive around me - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Horse is aggressive around me

This is a discussion on Horse is aggressive around me within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-15-2010, 07:31 AM
      #11
    Super Moderator
    Everyone, thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlitterBug    
    kV, if I were you, I would do as Spirithorse said towards that behavior. I'm guessing this is when you are bringing people out to see her, which automatically puts her on a pedestal and throws the ball in her court. See if you can take someone out there with you and just ignore her. If she approaches with any type of defensive/aggressive behavior, send her away. Don't accept her into your herd until she is showing acceptable behavior. I hope this makes sense, its somewhat of a mouthful, I apologize.
    I don't bring those people to "see" her (and if I do and those are complete strangers she just stay away from everyone and don't socialize). Those are my parents who go in field every single day (and mom feeds in morning because I work) to help me out with manure and such. So no even talking between us in field, or nervousness, or heart rate increase, and they usually ignore her for the most part (when you clean the manure you don't care much about everything else anyway). If I stand between her and my parents she behaves, because I can drive her back any moment and she knows it (I don't even need the whip for that). The problem is if I don't pay attention and not in between (say behind her talking to my other horse) it's when she may try to attack. Now I'm just trying to be right next to her all the time to stop her and they stay away - this is temporal solution kinda. I'd think she considers them as part of the herd lower order then her, but then I'd expect her to behave the same if I'm not around. But it's obviously not a case, and that's what bugs me.

    BTW she had lots of horsey communication (unlike Jemma). She was running wild in big herd before I got her and then in field with 5 horses.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-15-2010, 11:21 AM
      #12
    Trained
    If it were my horses I would back them up whenever they pin thier ears or otherwise look pissy at other people and horses and I would not be gentle about it. Make them move thier feet and you establish dominance and make it clear that the behavior was unwanted and unacceptable. If my horse ever attacked someone all hell would break loose.
         
        02-15-2010, 12:38 PM
      #13
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    If it were my horses I would back them up whenever they pin thier ears or otherwise look pissy at other people and horses and I would not be gentle about it. Make them move thier feet and you establish dominance and make it clear that the behavior was unwanted and unacceptable. If my horse ever attacked someone all hell would break loose.
    What about 5 (or 3?) secs rule? If I'm away it'll take time to get close to her and from everything I read/was told if you don't correct right away it won't work.
         
        02-15-2010, 01:05 PM
      #14
    Green Broke
    I agree with the 3 - 5 second rule... whats funny is its mares, but lately my riding instructers horse (who is a gelding) has started doing the same, so whenever we go out to brush him ow whatever, we have to be kinda careful lol
         
        02-15-2010, 02:35 PM
      #15
    Trained
    If she acts agressively towards your parents then they need to get after her and get her feet moving. You can't allow this to go on.
         
        02-15-2010, 04:16 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Kevin is right on this, in fact it SHOULDN'T always be you that corrects her, because she needs to learn to respect your folks too.
         
        02-15-2010, 05:31 PM
      #17
    Green Broke
    Thanks Flitterbug, that was extremely helpful and an enjoyable read.

    Kevinshorses - in my case, that is essentially what I'm doing with Jynx. I think we were more interested in knowing WHY they were doing it. I would never let my horse get away with attacking other horses, and she's learning. I was more curious as to the reasoning behind that sort of behavior.
         
        02-16-2010, 08:14 AM
      #18
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    If she acts agressively towards your parents then they need to get after her and get her feet moving. You can't allow this to go on.
    The problem is mom can but not my dad. Even though I told him gazillion times to be firm.
         
        02-16-2010, 08:15 AM
      #19
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj    
    Thanks Flitterbug, that was extremely helpful and an enjoyable read.

    Kevinshorses - in my case, that is essentially what I'm doing with Jynx. I think we were more interested in knowing WHY they were doing it. I would never let my horse get away with attacking other horses, and she's learning. I was more curious as to the reasoning behind that sort of behavior.
    I agree.
         
        02-16-2010, 10:26 AM
      #20
    Trained
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kitten_Val    
    The problem is mom can but not my dad. Even though I told him gazillion times to be firm.

    So what you're saying is that your dad refuses to do it. That is not your problem then. If a grown man has no more self-preservation than that he deserves the consequences so do what you can and encourage him to become actively involved.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    I'm Stumped-- Horse is VERY food aggressive SeWHC Horse Training 4 01-23-2010 01:01 PM
    Aggressive yearling summer09 Horse Training 73 01-05-2010 02:52 PM
    Aggressive New Horse NordicJuniper Horse Health 14 07-03-2009 04:13 PM
    Help! Overly aggressive horse! gen32 Horse Training 6 04-09-2009 08:52 PM
    Aggressive horse AKPaintLover Horse Training 6 06-05-2007 12:49 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0