Horse is becoming aggressive/ now bucking...Suggestions ? - Page 3
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Horse is becoming aggressive/ now bucking...Suggestions ?

This is a discussion on Horse is becoming aggressive/ now bucking...Suggestions ? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Horse aggressive on the ground but not in saddle
  • Bucking horse terms

Like Tree105Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    10-26-2013, 03:03 AM
  #21
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexS    
Nope don't know that stuff, and think it's terrible advise. You have an aggressive horse, and you are suggesting someone gets on the ground behind it?

Once your horse vet checks out, assuming all is ok, it needs a come to Jesus meeting.

I think they didn't mean aggressive horse.
Just a scared/timid one, whereby you just have to show them you are not a threat.
With aggressive horses, depending on the reason, you have to show them you're in charge, not that you're not a threat.
Posted via Mobile Device
Golden Horse and cebee like this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    10-26-2013, 03:04 AM
  #22
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern    
The scenario I described was: 50 yards away, when horse is wanting to get away from you, head over the fence. Come on, you guys know this stuff.
Nope, don't actually know this stuff..

I know that the only horse in my herd who gets away with being aggressive to the others is the boss man, until I am out there, and then he knows to quit it, because then I am boss man and I will kick his butt for him if he starts.

If a horse is met by someone trying to be his buddy, he will assume that he is still the herd leader, and will MAYBE quit the aggressive behaviour, because he is secure in his role as leader over you. Trouble is now you have an even bigger and potentially more dangerous issue, because you never know when he will decide that it is time to put you in your place.

Seriously trying to be a buddy to an aggressive horse is very dangerous advice to be sharing on the internet.
     
    10-26-2013, 03:05 AM
  #23
Yearling
"About 2 months ago he was less excited to get out of his stall. He started to show me his hinds I would approach his stall. (form of aggressive behaviour obviously). Did not really pay to much attention to it...kept on training him."

What do you mean, "did not really pay too much attention to it"? What did you do when he turned his heels toward you?

I'm guessing there were other signs of disrespect that you did not attend to that began to add up to a horse who thought he could challenge your authority and win it for himself.

"I am very reluctant to take the crop and teach him a lesson. That should be the last resort I feel. (mainly because he might hurt and this would obviously be the worst thing to do then)".

This also worries me to hear you say you won't use a crop to correct him. How will you correct him? He knows better than to threaten to kick or buck. He needs to be told NO clearly and immediately when he is dangerous and disrespectful.

This is what I wonder and infer from your problem description. You are the problem with this horse. You have been focused on his athletic performance while letting his respect slide, like the parent with the 4.0 kid who is a brat.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    10-26-2013, 03:19 AM
  #24
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by farahmay    
I think they didn't mean aggressive horse.
Just a scared/timid one, whereby you just have to show them you are not a threat.
With aggressive horses, depending on the reason, you have to show them you're in charge, not that you're not a threat.
Posted via Mobile Device
this horse isn't scared or timid, it's aggressive from what is being described.
franknbeans likes this.
     
    10-26-2013, 11:07 AM
  #25
Foal
Appreciate the input...

I do agree that I perhaps failed to check his aggressive behaviour in the past (him showing me his hinds)...but the same time as soon as I approached him he was fine. Unfortunately the horse is out of the barn now....as it relates to that.

The bucking was not confronted right away...because at first it was figured there might be medical issues. (and medical is for sure not dismissed at this point)

As one poster put it...as long as he is aggressive on the ground....nothing good will happen under saddle...completely agree.

Reading all of your responses has helped quite a bit...it definitely refocused my attention on what needs to happen.

To answer previous posters questions..is about my 7th horse...also frequently have been riding other peoples horses...typically as a favor to them.

So...thanks to all of you. I think I will check out of the conversation now...will continue to read the replies. So...even if you don't see me posting anymore...I still appreciate the feedback.

I will also keep the thread open and post in 2 or 3 weeks as to what has happened.
     
    10-26-2013, 11:16 AM
  #26
Green Broke
Bucking should always be confronted even if it is a medical issues (of course without causing the horse further damage) because they learn it's OK otherwise. Best of luck.
     
    10-26-2013, 12:12 PM
  #27
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern    
The scenario I described was: 50 yards away, when horse is wanting to get away from you, head over the fence. Come on, you guys know this stuff.
Nope, I don't ascribe to the 'crouch down like a predator about to spring' method in order to approach ANY horse, much less a frightened or aggressive one. Horses are not dogs or cats. A predator crouching means attack, not friendly.

Besides, you want to appear LARGER to an aggressive horse, not smaller. Great way to get your head kicked in if you're suicidal, but not so great for actually dealing with bad behavior.
     
    10-26-2013, 12:27 PM
  #28
Trained
I will be interested to hear what evolves over the next few weeks. Obviously the medical is being checked out, so that's great.

The feed has been discussed, but has the feed changed since the training has changed? More work means more calories and more absorption required. I don't honestly think that missing minerals would cause this behavior, but I would ensure the horse is receiving free choice minerals and salt.

Turn out to be increased - yes.

But, I too see that this is a respect issue. The horse doesn't want to come out to play on YOUR terms, he wants it on HIS terms. That's a no go. I would stick to focusing on respect at ALL times from this horse and to a T. Absolutely no lee-way for poor behavior. I would also avoid the canter for a while. Let him forget about the bucking while you enforce respect. Once he is back to his previous happy and respectful self, then bring back the canter because at that point you will once again have the upper hand.
     
    10-26-2013, 12:57 PM
  #29
Cat
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern    
Friendly & safe aren't mutually exclusive states!

If that means being 50 yards away & crouching on the ground if you sense the horse is uncomfortable with your height, that's what you have to do. That shows you're sensitive to the horse; you're friendly. If it means waiting there with infinite patience till the horse finally steals a curious look at you from the position of hiney to you & head over the fence, then REWARDING that by retreating, rather than approaching, which ruins it with pressure, then that's what you have to do.

This type of thing is what OP might have to do to get horse DEEPLY OK INSIDE again. DEEPLY OK INSIDE & the human being the deeply ok "spot" is the goal.
Maybe I am reading this wrong - but why would you need to go to such an extreme that could potentially put a person at risk to show a horse you are not threatening? Horses are masters at reading body language and if you try too hard like described above you go past reassuring them and make them way more suspicious. If fear is the issue here (which I doubt that is the problem from what is described) a relaxed but confident stance is going to get you much further with a scared horse than crouching. Its like the people who tip-toe around their horse while trying to introduce it to a saddle blanket and wonder why it ends up flipping out and then stare in awe when someone confidently flaps it around not hiding or sneaking it and end up tossing it on with little issue.

One thing I would do with this horse is add a calming supplement with magnesium and copper to the diet. Its cheap and can help if there is a diet issue, but won't hurt if this isn't the problem.

If this horse is aggressive and thinking he is boss then you have to show confidence at all times and make him believe he has to listen to you or else. It can be dangerous at this point if he already thinks you have his number because he may be willing to go further than other horses to hold his leader spot. I would suggest getting help from a good trainer at this point that will work with showing you proper timing to put pressure on this horse safely to get his respect back. The key is a trainer that will work with you and the horse.
Golden Horse and AlexS like this.
     
    10-26-2013, 01:06 PM
  #30
Started
Interesting thread.
That's a lot of horse to get aggressive!
Maybe a blood draw will show something. It sounds like you are doing all you can in the medical/chiro department. If there turns out to be no physical reason for his behavior change then I guess it's time to take the bull by the horns, so to speak, and instruct him as to who is running the show.
Please keep us informed and we wish the best for you and your horse.
Cat and Golden Horse like this.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aggressive horse? Macman Horse Training 15 07-15-2012 04:20 AM
please help with a aggressive horse slingshot Horse Training 9 08-10-2011 08:10 PM
new dog *seems* aggressive towards my minis...any suggestions? dirtymartini Miniature Horses 36 01-11-2011 07:23 PM
Any way to retrain a food aggressive/aggressive horse? CinderEve Horse Training 7 12-03-2010 04:17 PM
Aggressive horse AKPaintLover Horse Training 6 06-05-2007 01:49 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0