Okay so I am working with my aunt's horse. She is a very busy lady (has 4 horses, and is always traveling, and is getting older, just turned 63) and in the past couple years has not had time to give her horses the attention they need. I am going to start working on her gelding (who is the worst). He is 9 years old and is overweight and needs to be exercised. But he is horrible under the saddle, and will not lunge. He is such a lazy horse, hates to work. Out of the 4 horses he is with, he is the alfa horse. Well since my aunt has not been on top of him, she lets him get away with murder! She raised him since he was 2 months old, broke him, and trained him. He was a excellent horse about a year ago, but because of lack of attention he completely lost it. She really wants me to work him so he can lose weight (he is on a diet, but he needs exercise) but I cannot lunge him or ride him so I am kinda stuck. I know I have to start with groundwork. He is SOOO BAD!
1. she only has 2 stalls and 4 horses so I have to feed him and her TB outside in the pasture. He doesn't get as much grain and hay as her TB so he gobles it down and then goes and eats her TB's grain and hay.
2. He will not let you halter him without a chase. He turns his butt to me and runs away when he sees me with the halter. I either have to hope he will get tired or catch him when hes eating to halter him.
3. He does not lead easily. Sometimes he will follow nicely, but other times he will stand still and you have to continuely jerk on the lead rope to get him to go foward.
4. He will not back up for anything unless I take the end of the lead rope and flick it at his chest, and even then he reluclently backs up or instead of backing up, he'll go sideways.
5. When I started to lunge him, he would turn into me constantly! I would tap his inside leg and when it went over, I would drive his hind foward. That worked to get him to lunge for a little but now, he pushes me out of the way with his head when I go to tap his leg, or circles around me so I can't tap his leg. With her other horses all it's takes is a jerk on the halter for them to stop, but that doesn't phase him. When I really crack down on him, he'll walk VERY slowly in a circle and then just turn his butt towards me and walks off, pulling the lunging line right out of my hands. I jerk the rope hard when he does his and he spins around, head very high, and walks towards me. Then we start all over again. This happened 20-30 times last night, jerk the leadrope or making him backup does not work.
6. Under the saddle, he does not want to leave the barn. Barn sour. He does what he wants, goes where he wants, etc. Will not listen to whoa, easy, clicking or kissing. Does not listen to my leg or rein cues. He DOES know what they mean, because sometimes he will submit and listen when I say whoa, easy, click, kiss, etc.
I know I need his respect and trust. I already tried some advice from friends and online but none seems to work with him. Ever dealt with a horse like this?