horse no one can catch
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

horse no one can catch

This is a discussion on horse no one can catch within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • I was the horse no one could get near
  • Daughter caught with horse

Like Tree13Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-28-2011, 09:18 AM
  #1
Foal
horse no one can catch

Hi all me again
Some months ago I was posting that my daughter had bought a horse from a person, and over 8 months ago some one tuck his head coller off and beet him with it, I have been trying to get him caught for over 8 months now tried everything and even sedation, join up you name it I have do it,

He is in a field with no field shelter, barb wire that he as run though on a number of times, he is in a filed with 10 other horses and we can remove the other horses as a few you can't get near, and field is on to a main road and big drain.

I have been in touch with the RSPCA and they said they would dart him but trying to get it sorted out is taking its time and I need to have him moved to my yard before the bad weather comes.

I have linked the last posts before so you can all refresh your self

Horse that no one can catch :-(
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-28-2011, 09:46 AM
  #2
Started
Oh my good luck I hope you can get this sorted out just remember when you do get him sedated and able to transport only put him in a small field with good fencing and alone or with only 1 other horse who you trust , so you can try and work with him on being caught.
     
    12-29-2011, 05:58 AM
  #3
Foal
Just to let you all know still not caught him,
Also ran out of ideas of what to try next ,
Tried everything now my daughter is after leaving him and dis owning him,
But I and willing to keep at trying to get him
     
    12-29-2011, 08:27 AM
  #4
Started
Did the sedation work??? With the dart gun???
     
    12-29-2011, 08:48 AM
  #5
Weanling
Heck he sounds like trouble!Iif you manage to get him in a pasture on his own (take all othe horses out) you could try just sitting in his field with a book and letting him discover you don't always want to get near him. Make it part of his daily routein. Come at the same time every day and spend half an hour there perhaps. He will start to predict your arrival, and possibly enjoy having a bit of company (herd animal etc etc) If he is curious, he will probably start moving towards you a bit. Day by day he will edge closer. Show him you are no threat basically.

Once he is close enough bring food with you. Don't expect him to take it from your hand but allow him to eat it from near you. Once he is allowing you close enough and allowing strokes etc take something that doesn't look anything like his headcollar but you can turn it into a makeshift rope- old bit of sheet perhaps. Let him sniff and investigate. Praise with you voice for not being scared. Carefully slide it up his neck and over until you can hold it arounf his neck with your hand at his throat. After this start start asking him to follow you a short way with the 'rope' acting as guidence. Turn the 'rope' into a real rope and build a headcollar around his head with said rope. Don't ask too much at once. And gradually work toward an actuall headcollar.

This will take a while, so the dart will be the best option to get him to your yard quickly, but once there maybe bry this
TheMadHatter likes this.
     
    12-29-2011, 09:00 AM
  #6
Weanling
Any horse can be caught if you figure them out. I've worked with 15 'uncatchable' horses that I can think of. Just takes time and patience.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-29-2011, 09:06 AM
  #7
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByAlli    
heck he sounds like trouble!Iif you manage to get him in a pasture on his own (take all othe horses out) you could try just sitting in his field with a book and letting him discover you don't always want to get near him. Make it part of his daily routein. Come at the same time every day and spend half an hour there perhaps. He will start to predict your arrival, and possibly enjoy having a bit of company (herd animal etc etc) If he is curious, he will probably start moving towards you a bit. Day by day he will edge closer. Show him you are no threat basically.

Once he is close enough bring food with you. Don't expect him to take it from your hand but allow him to eat it from near you. Once he is allowing you close enough and allowing strokes etc take something that doesn't look anything like his headcollar but you can turn it into a makeshift rope- old bit of sheet perhaps. Let him sniff and investigate. Praise with you voice for not being scared. Carefully slide it up his neck and over until you can hold it arounf his neck with your hand at his throat. After this start start asking him to follow you a short way with the 'rope' acting as guidence. Turn the 'rope' into a real rope and build a headcollar around his head with said rope. Don't ask too much at once. And gradually work toward an actuall headcollar.

This will take a while, so the dart will be the best option to get him to your yard quickly, but once there maybe bry this

Hi tried this for 2 months and as soon has he saw the rope halter,head collar and lead rope he was off running around the big field I had him penned in at one point he was there for 4 hours then went though it

And the vet wants 800 to 1200 to dart him to much money for my daughter to spend and spending loads of time with him day in and day out is going to be hard due to my daughter having two baby's and me having two horses and a full time job
     
    12-29-2011, 09:08 AM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins    
Any horse can be caught if you figure them out. I've worked with 15 'uncatchable' horses that I can think of. Just takes time and patience.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hi would you like to come to the uk and try this one lol
     
    12-29-2011, 09:21 AM
  #9
Weanling
I would if I could! Its hard to give you advice without seeing seeing the horse's behaviour and his reaction to having people in his bubble.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    12-29-2011, 09:38 AM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins    
I would if I could! Its hard to give you advice without seeing seeing the horse's behaviour and his reaction to having people in his bubble.
Posted via Mobile Device
hi
you can rub his bun brush his tail but has soon has you stand at his neck he runs or when you hold a bucket and he eats out of it he is very jumpy and moves away from you fast, he does not go to kick or bite just turns and runs away then will not come back
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse that no one can catch :-( tracey Horse Training 55 11-07-2011 01:01 PM
Hard to catch horse TheRoughrider21 Natural Horsemanship 10 01-02-2011 02:14 PM
Help with difficult horse to catch devildogtigress Horse Training 11 12-16-2010 02:16 PM
How to catch a horse nldiaz66 Horse Training 26 08-08-2009 12:19 AM
can't catch my horse smr Horse Training 29 03-17-2009 12:23 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0