Horse who is ring/riding sour
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Horse who is ring/riding sour

This is a discussion on Horse who is ring/riding sour within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Horse riding rings
  • Lesson horse is ring sour

Like Tree8Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-25-2013, 05:04 PM
  #1
Green Broke
Horse who is ring/riding sour

Back in November I bought a 12 year old paint who was the lesson/trail/lease horse and I assumed ridden multiple times a day during the good riding seasons. I haven't ridden him much since I've gotten him besides bareback here and there.

His two major problems are -
1) He walks away from you sometimes when you go out to catch him. Lately he hasn't done it because I haven't ridden him and whenever I catch him he knows he gets to go in and eat.
2) He's ring sour. He always tries veering to the gate and sometimes swishes his tail in a bit of an 'angry protest' against me not letting him go towards the gate.

He hasn't been bad yet but whenever I ride I always walk to the farthest corner of the arena and make him stand with his butt facing the gate and when he's good that's when I get off. That's about the time he usually gets pissy and swishes his tail. And I usually also back him out of the gate.

I know they say to work him harder passed the gate but would that work in this situation? How do I make riding enjoyable for him?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-25-2013, 05:38 PM
  #2
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirls Boots    
Back in November I bought a 12 year old paint who was the lesson/trail/lease horse and I assumed ridden multiple times a day during the good riding seasons. I haven't ridden him much since I've gotten him besides bareback here and there.

His two major problems are -
1) He walks away from you sometimes when you go out to catch him. Lately he hasn't done it because I haven't ridden him and whenever I catch him he knows he gets to go in and eat.
2) He's ring sour. He always tries veering to the gate and sometimes swishes his tail in a bit of an 'angry protest' against me not letting him go towards the gate.

He hasn't been bad yet but whenever I ride I always walk to the farthest corner of the arena and make him stand with his butt facing the gate and when he's good that's when I get off. That's about the time he usually gets pissy and swishes his tail. And I usually also back him out of the gate.

I know they say to work him harder passed the gate but would that work in this situation? How do I make riding enjoyable for him?
Posted via Mobile Device
Your on the right track with the first problem. Keep mixing it up. When I catch my mare I always change our routine. This really helps if your horse thinks every time he is caught, he has to work, which sounds exactly like the case here. Also try just hanging out in the pasture with him. Don't always halter him, sometimes halter him and then immediately take it off, try going on walks in hand instead of riding, bring him out just to groom, etc... Make it pleasant and not all work.

Another option is make the wrong thing hard and the right thing easy. With one particular horse I know, the only way to catch him is by working him. I have to run him around until he joins up. The concept behind this is make the wrong thing hard and the right thing easy. When he walks off I send him out and make him work, if he stands with me then he gets to relax.

Problem 2: take the same approach. Wrong=work and Right=relax
Whoever told you to work him harder by the gate is right. He drifts toward the gate, get his attention and move his feet. Let him relax once he is no longer focused on the gate. My mare tries this occasionally and figures out pretty quick where she can relax so we often have to switch relax spots or she starts drifting there thinking she can relax lol

Your on the right track though so keep it up, sometimes it just takes time, practice and consistency :) Good luck and it sounds like your doing great already
Posted via Mobile Device
faiza425 and LexusK like this.
     
    03-25-2013, 05:43 PM
  #3
Green Broke
He also knows that IM the one who always rides him. Haha. And if its a bit earlier then when I normally go get him to feed hell be very weary of me catching him. Normally what I do is play with all the other horses and my donkey and make him think I may have treats since the rest of the horses are investigating me but him. Then he'll walk up to me.

Today was the first time I've ridden him with a saddle in months and because he needs shoes and is a bit foot sore all we did was walk. But lately all I've done is brought him in to feed and groom then out he goes.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-25-2013, 05:54 PM
  #4
Green Broke
First I am going to suggest to not ride him out of the arena gate backwards or forwards. Get off away from the gate and lead him out of the arena when your done. If there is more than one gate, change up what gates you go in and out of. Try working him outside of the arena and taking him in there to rest.
Cherie likes this.
     
    03-25-2013, 06:09 PM
  #5
Green Broke
I never ride him out of the gates. I get off and usually back him out.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-25-2013, 08:39 PM
  #6
Weanling
If he hasn't been ridden in a while and is a bit foot sore, the issue will probably clear up when he gets into shape and isn't sore anymore. My mare is usually a bit sour the first few times I really ride her in the spring but once she gets into the routine she settles in to work just fine. The more you focus on the gate the more he will. Go in and ride and don't even think about the gate. The more you anticipate him doing something the more he will do it.
     
    03-25-2013, 08:43 PM
  #7
Banned
Any time I've had a horse try to veer or magnet towards something, I let them, then I make them work REALLY hard right in their sooooo desired area......soon makes them think twice about being there......a horse needs to be allowed to make a mistake before he can learn otherwise.
KSchingen likes this.
     
    03-25-2013, 09:12 PM
  #8
Green Broke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowgirls Boots    
I never ride him out of the gates. I get off and usually back him out.
Posted via Mobile Device
Somehow I missed that, I apologize.

Another thing to try, when you get off- tie him in the arena and leave him for a while before leading him out.
Cherie likes this.
     
    03-25-2013, 09:13 PM
  #9
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muppetgirl    
Any time I've had a horse try to veer or magnet towards something, I let them, then I make them work REALLY hard right in their sooooo desired area......soon makes them think twice about being there......a horse needs to be allowed to make a mistake before he can learn otherwise.
This is what I do and my mare figures it out quickly but instead of just cooperating she picks a different spot :) such a pain lol

OP: If he is foot sore that could be a lot of the problem. It hurts to work. I say get the farrier out Asap
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-25-2013, 09:25 PM
  #10
Green Broke
He needs shoes which he's getting next week. I pulled them for winter and was hoping his feet would harden up but guess not :( so farrier is aware. He was like this regardless when I bought him too. He also had shoes then as well. So I think he mostly just associates ring=work
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ring sour howrsegirl123 Horse Training 8 06-29-2012 10:06 PM
Ring sour 4 year old Hrosec Horse Training 8 08-09-2011 09:18 PM
Ring Sour Horse Alcatrazjmpr Horse Training 6 09-21-2010 10:46 AM
Different riding levels sharing the riding ring RadHenry09 Horse Riding 6 11-16-2009 02:36 PM
Turning, Stopping, and Riding a stubborn barn sour horse zapchick4 Horse Training 15 02-09-2008 10:34 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0