How To dicipline a horse?? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

How To dicipline a horse??

This is a discussion on How To dicipline a horse?? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree22Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        07-07-2012, 02:14 AM
      #11
    Green Broke
    For now, just avoid dealing with her until the trainer comes. Have your parents feed/turnout/whatever else needs to be done.

    Are you prepared for the fact the trainer may tell you the best thing you could do is re-home her?

    I had a QH that was a Saint on the ground and a !@#$% under saddle. My trainer told me she needed to go, didn't believe her and hired another trainer.... after she tried her darndest to kill him too, I came to my senses, gave her away (with full disclosure of her issues) and the 1st trainer found me a new horse.

    If only I had listened the 1st time.... I spent all sorts of $$$$ on a horse that I then gave away.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        07-07-2012, 02:15 AM
      #12
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Calming Melody    
    With as young and inexperienced as you are you don't need an arab and you don't need a mare.
    I will disagree with this statement - making waves already, I know.. just back from my hiatus. Nothing wrong with Arabs, nothing wrong with mares... it's the horse as an individual. I've met some amazing Arabian schoolies that have been mares, and I've met some awful QH geldings that would have eaten children for breakfast.
    Anyways... I DO agree that if the OP will not get help with this horse (not just one lesson, but continued work for 6 months or more) then she needs to get rid of this horse - for the horse's own good. Because I'm worried about the horse, not the OP - she's a kid, she'll bounce for the most part... however the horse could end up labeled "dangerous" for good reason. I've seen many horses ruined by incorrect handling.. and it's a pain to undo.
         
        07-07-2012, 02:19 AM
      #13
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Calming Melody    
    With as young and inexperienced as you are you don't need an arab and you don't need a mare. You need to get you a nice gelding that has alot of miles on him . I think with the way the horse is acting when you ride her and the complete "turn" around you have had, it's safe to say , you're doing a lot wrong . What it is I am not quite sure but you have let her be in charge or you . There are certain ways to correct a horse but I don't think you need to be handling her . You are starting to let her get away with bad habbits and sadly hun you do not know how to handle her ! With the way people are talking about arabs ( I have never had one ) I would assume they need to be for advanced horse people because everyone is saying how intelligent and sensitive they are. She knows you weaknesses , you have let her think she is in charge ...not good ...please please please get another horse and let her go to someone that can handle her ....The next time you fall hard it could mean more broken bones, being paralyzed , or worse yet death ! This can all be avoided if you just take the advice from the people giving it to you . I know you are young and want to fix this yourself but sometimes you just can't do that and your life and the horses life are more important that this "love" you have for her , IMO if you really love her you will let her go .
    the only reoson we got her is because my quarterhorse suddenly collapsed in his stall at night and died, when the vet came out he said that he suffed a severe episode of lung failure. And then my dad posted an ad for a 'calm childs horse' and bellas owner replied. I went over to their place a couple times and went on trail rides and cantered a,nd that, brushed her, and did every thing just to make sure I wanted her, and she was exelent. That's why I got her, because she was the horse of a 10 year old, and very well broke. If she was wild I would not have wanted her. Its just breaking my heart seeing how "Perfect" she was and how"wild" she is now.
    Some people are saying I spoiled her and loved her too much and she got spoiled like how a child would become and that she knows how to use me.

    But I spoiled my old gelding and the more I loved him the more he respected me.
         
        07-07-2012, 02:20 AM
      #14
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustDressageIt    
    I will disagree with this statement - making waves already, I know.. just back from my hiatus. Nothing wrong with Arabs, nothing wrong with mares... it's the horse as an individual. I've met some amazing Arabian schoolies that have been mares, and I've met some awful QH geldings that would have eaten children for breakfast.
    Anyways... I DO agree that if the OP will not get help with this horse (not just one lesson, but continued work for 6 months or more) then she needs to get rid of this horse - for the horse's own good. Because I'm worried about the horse, not the OP - she's a kid, she'll bounce for the most part... however the horse could end up labeled "dangerous" for good reason. I've seen many horses ruined by incorrect handling.. and it's a pain to undo.
    I was just going by how everyone is saying how intelligent and sensitive they are and would assume you would need to know alot about handling a horse to handle an arabian . I have never had one but I have rode mares and when they are moody they can be a pain to ride , at least that is my experience with them , but I am not very experienced myself and didn't mean any disrespect .
         
        07-07-2012, 02:21 AM
      #15
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JustDressageIt    
    I will disagree with this statement - making waves already, I know.. just back from my hiatus. Nothing wrong with Arabs, nothing wrong with mares... it's the horse as an individual. I've met some amazing Arabian schoolies that have been mares, and I've met some awful QH geldings that would have eaten children for breakfast.
    Anyways... I DO agree that if the OP will not get help with this horse (not just one lesson, but continued work for 6 months or more) then she needs to get rid of this horse - for the horse's own good. Because I'm worried about the horse, not the OP - she's a kid, she'll bounce for the most part... however the horse could end up labeled "dangerous" for good reason. I've seen many horses ruined by incorrect handling.. and it's a pain to undo.
    Agree. My crossbred mongrel gelding is more of a handful than any mare I've known. But frankly if this horse was being ridden and handled by kids previously I think the main issue is the OP (not to be unkind) and she really needs to be taught ground handling and feeding rules before she considers getting another or it'll be the same all over.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    FaydesMom likes this.
         
        07-07-2012, 02:25 AM
      #16
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UpAndAbove    
    the only reoson we got her is because my quarterhorse suddenly collapsed in his stall at night and died, when the vet came out he said that he suffed a severe episode of lung failure. And then my dad posted an ad for a 'calm childs horse' and bellas owner replied. I went over to their place a couple times and went on trail rides and cantered a,nd that, brushed her, and did every thing just to make sure I wanted her, and she was exelent. That's why I got her, because she was the horse of a 10 year old, and very well broke. If she was wild I would not have wanted her. Its just breaking my heart seeing how "Perfect" she was and how"wild" she is now.
    Some people are saying I spoiled her and loved her too much and she got spoiled like how a child would become and that she knows how to use me.

    But I spoiled my old gelding and the more I loved him the more he respected me.
    I am sorry but that is wrong ....loving and spoiling a horse does nothing to get them to listen and to respect you . You have let her run all over you ..if all it took was love and spoiling trainers wouldn't really be needed . She is not using you , you are part of her "herd" and looks at you as someone under her . She thinks she is the alpha and is in charge , you can love and spoil her all you want but it's not going to get you anywhere .
    Palomine likes this.
         
        07-07-2012, 07:16 AM
      #17
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UpAndAbove    
    thats why I got her, because she was the horse of a 10 year old, and very well broke. If she was wild I would not have wanted her. Its just breaking my heart seeing how "Perfect" she was and how"wild" she is now.
    Some people are saying I spoiled her and loved her too much and she got spoiled like how a child would become and that she knows how to use me.

    But I spoiled my old gelding and the more I loved him the more he respected me.
    I don't think he respected you. Maybe he was your babysitter but I don't think he thought of you as someone to protect him from all danger.

    You can't spoil a horse without problems.

    If you give my horse treats by hand, he begins to beg for them and gets boisterous. It may be cute that he nickers, but he'll eventually get more pushy and then it'll escalate to biting hands, clothes, etc.

    Again, you don't understand horses. Which is fine.. just go and learn about them via a trainer. Maybe have the previous owner help you to learn about how to handle her?
    Palomine and RandysWifey like this.
         
        07-07-2012, 02:50 PM
      #18
    Green Broke
    Too many threads about same type of problems make me wonder if there even is a horse, or just someone that has nothing better to do?

    If your parents have other horses, they should be teaching you better horsemanship, and that is a big if at this point in my mind.
         
        07-07-2012, 03:02 PM
      #19
    Foal
    I've been wondering the same thing Palomine, especially since the trainer showed up, worked the horse and proclaimed it worth saving in twenty minutes time.
         
        07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
      #20
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by possumhollow    
    I've been wondering the same thing Palomine, especially since the trainer showed up, worked the horse and proclaimed it worth saving in twenty minutes time.
    Dang, I need to hire this trainer!!

    I'm thinking troll here.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Types of Dicipline bsdhorse Horse Training 90 05-05-2009 04:52 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:15 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0