How to get a smoother canter?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

How to get a smoother canter?

This is a discussion on How to get a smoother canter? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • How do get a smoother hand gallop
  • Get a smoother canter

Like Tree15Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-13-2012, 10:26 PM
  #1
Weanling
Question How to get a smoother canter?

Hey guys!
I just had a question of what you guys suggested... My horse doesn't like to keep his leads in the back but will usually will get them in the front, (cross-firing) and it is very fast. Does anyone have suggestions of how to get my horse to get and hold his leads and slow him down without breaking him into the trot?
Thanks :)
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-13-2012, 10:31 PM
  #2
Foal
My mare does the same thing alot. Just work with him to build up the muscles is what I've been told. Also I have been "butt roping" my mare and that has helped tremendously! I don't have a video/picture of me doing it right now but when I go home and work with her this weekend I can take a video/pic and post it so you can see what I mean. This doesn't work with all horses some do not like it at all (my old horse was one ha) Hope this helped! :)
     
    03-13-2012, 10:33 PM
  #3
Weanling
Thanks so much! I would love for you to send me the video :) It is super hard for me to tell when he is doing it, if he goes fast he usually won't (hand gallop) lol but if he goes slow he will do it all the time :P
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate114    
My mare does the same thing alot. Just work with him to build up the muscles is what I've been told. Also I have been "butt roping" my mare and that has helped tremendously! I don't have a video/picture of me doing it right now but when I go home and work with her this weekend I can take a video/pic and post it so you can see what I mean. This doesn't work with all horses some do not like it at all (my old horse was one ha) Hope this helped! :)
     
    03-13-2012, 10:44 PM
  #4
Foal
Yea sounds like my mare...we've only been butt roping maybe like 2-3 weeks and I have already seen an improvement. Most of it just has to do with building the muscles (the correct ones) and to get the horse to understand how to be collected and balanced at the same time. Out of curiosity how old is your horse?
     
    03-13-2012, 10:51 PM
  #5
Weanling
Thanks for that! He is 17. I have been trying to get him in shape the last year and a half I have had him. He didn't know anything when I got him. How often do you do it? How old is your horse?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate114    
Yea sounds like my mare...we've only been butt roping maybe like 2-3 weeks and I have already seen an improvement. Most of it just has to do with building the muscles (the correct ones) and to get the horse to understand how to be collected and balanced at the same time. Out of curiosity how old is your horse?
     
    03-13-2012, 11:01 PM
  #6
Foal
My mare is only 6 so she is still trying to figure out where everything on her body is when she is cantering lol. But I actually haven't been riding her at all since I've started this. I would do it every day maybe every other if I lived at home but since I am currently away at college I only get the chance to work with her on the weekend. But you could alternate this with riding if you wanted. If you do butt rope do not ride the same day this is a good enough work out for him since all you do during it is canter.
     
    03-13-2012, 11:07 PM
  #7
Weanling
Thanks! I go out three days a week and I will go out 4 once gas prices are done. I am excited to see the video! :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate114    
My mare is only 6 so she is still trying to figure out where everything on her body is when she is cantering lol. But I actually haven't been riding her at all since I've started this. I would do it every day maybe every other if I lived at home but since I am currently away at college I only get the chance to work with her on the weekend. But you could alternate this with riding if you wanted. If you do butt rope do not ride the same day this is a good enough work out for him since all you do during it is canter.
     
    03-13-2012, 11:12 PM
  #8
Foal
It will probably be up either Saturday afternoon if I have time after working her or Sunday once I get back up here to school. I can tell you now the quality will not be the best...its hard to record while working with her lol and nobody is going to be home this weekend to help me. Ha. I hope all of this will help you and your boy.
Black Beauty 94 likes this.
     
    03-13-2012, 11:17 PM
  #9
Weanling
Lol that's ok :) Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kate114    
It will probably be up either Saturday afternoon if I have time after working her or Sunday once I get back up here to school. I can tell you now the quality will not be the best...its hard to record while working with her lol and nobody is going to be home this weekend to help me. Ha. I hope all of this will help you and your boy.
     
    03-17-2012, 11:53 AM
  #10
Foal
Pics of butt roping...video to follow

This is how you run the rope thru the bridle...you need a snaffle it will be easier on the horses mouth. You always go from inside to out.
IMG_0914.jpg

Run through the stirrup, towards the back.
IMG_0915.jpg

The rope has to be above the hocks, ALWAYS, otherwise the horse could get tangled and hurt.
IMG_0916.jpg

These last two pictures are just of the rope. My dad made this one for my sister and I. I will have to ask my sister how she measured the horse to get the size of the rope because I'm not sure about that part. But you can get this kind of rope (and the fittings) at TSC or anywhere that sells rope.
IMG_0920.jpg
IMG_0921.jpg


Don't look at my mare! :) She is super dirty, I took these after I worked her this morning.
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Canter help ForeverHawk Horse Riding 3 08-23-2011 06:24 AM
How do you train walk to canter, and help with canter leads? PintoTess Horse Training 5 10-12-2010 09:39 PM
How to get a smoother lead change? Eliz Horse Training 6 08-17-2010 12:48 PM
Tips for making an event go smoother! StormyBlues Eventing 4 11-27-2009 08:39 PM
at a canter Kirsti Arndt English Riding 27 07-16-2008 05:24 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:26 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0