Originally Posted by jewlz
In responce to JustdressageIt, I am only feeding him 50/50 (MolloMix) and Pollard. Yes he is very tall and slim. I wouldn't call him skinny as he is just so long and lanky. Just as I get a nice covering on him and he looks super, he has a growing spurt. He is about 15.2 now and he is only 2 1/2, so he has years of growing and filling out yet. I didn't want to fill him up with high powered food and bulk him up to quick as I didn't want him getting to big for his young legs. Do you have any other feed that you'd recommend that wont fire him up but will help with conditioning. He has an amazing shine on him, so I know he is super healthy.
The only reason I asked is that some owners purposefully keep their horses very thin so they don't have the energy to get spunky. (And please don't think that I'm accusing you of this, but the lazy thing reminded me of it - read on: )
Perhaps your horse really does have some spunk, but since he just went through a growing spurt, he needs the energy to just focus on growing. Have you ever lived or been with teenage boys? I have a younger brother and he sleeps 90% of the time, and spends the other 10% eating!
He's very lazy, but it's because his body is using so much energy to grow... horses are the same. I wouldn't worry about him being lazy at this point.
In reagards to the spur thing - remember my "ask, tell, demand" post - the spur is only in the "demand" aspect of it, to get him light off your leg; if you just keep kicking and kicking it could very well make him dead to your leg - and believe me, you don't want that ;)
Best of luck! Please give us updates!