how to slow down a horse - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

how to slow down a horse

This is a discussion on how to slow down a horse within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Training a horse to slow down

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    01-12-2011, 07:15 PM
  #11
Super Moderator
Dash,

Interesting what you said about your work with the trainer and working on making the leg light.
The fist thing that came to my mind, is that if you want to be able to have your horse have different levels of canter, then work on developing different levels of walk and trot. This being that leg on does't mean "change gait" but rather "add energy". IF you can get him expandable and contractable at walk and trot, you will get it at canter.

I do not recommend relying on verbal cues for a miriad of speeds/gaits. I do, however, use my breath a lot to encourage a downtransition of energy. I breath outward in rythm with my horse and add a solidifying of the core muscles to hold the energy. Just be sure to release either right at the point where you feel your horse restrain himself or even before. NOT late, early or on time.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    01-12-2011, 07:17 PM
  #12
Yearling
You need to give clear aids when trying to teach your horse something new. Voice first, then seat, then legs, then hands. Before you begin to try and slow him down make sure he is completely balanced at a lope on both leads. Make sure he is using his hind end and not dragging himself along with his front legs. Often, when you teach horse to slow down his lope, they lose all that power and just pull themselves along. Could you post a video or some photos of him at a lope? :) Might help me a bit more.
     
    01-12-2011, 07:42 PM
  #13
Weanling
I like to use the voice with training, using every aid I can. After using my body cues consistently for awhile my horses don't need the verbal cue anymore and I drop it. But I find it particularly helpful when you're teaching something on the lunge line first and then transitioning it over to under saddle. It is hard for many horses to balance a rider and lope slowly. If you work on building the proper muscles on the lunge first it becomes easier for the horse to carry a rider.
As for the extended trot: you teach that it's another gait in between trot and lope. You drive the horse forward but don't let them speed up more than a little and don't let them break gait (using whatever cue you have decided means extended trot). It's just like under saddle except the impulsion comes from your whip and body language. Making the circle smaller can help control the speed of it while making the horse reach more.
     
    01-12-2011, 10:59 PM
  #14
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
Dash,

Interesting what you said about your work with the trainer and working on making the leg light.
The fist thing that came to my mind, is that if you want to be able to have your horse have different levels of canter, then work on developing different levels of walk and trot. This being that leg on does't mean "change gait" but rather "add energy". IF you can get him expandable and contractable at walk and trot, you will get it at canter.

I do not recommend relying on verbal cues for a miriad of speeds/gaits. I do, however, use my breath a lot to encourage a downtransition of energy. I breath outward in rythm with my horse and add a solidifying of the core muscles to hold the energy. Just be sure to release either right at the point where you feel your horse restrain himself or even before. NOT late, early or on time.
well, the walk and trot I can vary, it's just the lope that I have trouble slowing down, but at the walk/trot he does not rest on my leg as much, but at the lope, he gets VERY heavy on my leg! But since I started this excersise all I have to do is move my leg back and lightly touch his side with my leg and up he goes into the canter. He's never been that light. Sooo, I am kinda wondering if that has anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidji    
You need to give clear aids when trying to teach your horse something new. Voice first, then seat, then legs, then hands. Before you begin to try and slow him down make sure he is completely balanced at a lope on both leads. Make sure he is using his hind end and not dragging himself along with his front legs. Often, when you teach horse to slow down his lope, they lose all that power and just pull themselves along. Could you post a video or some photos of him at a lope? :) Might help me a bit more.
i do have 2 videos, but niether of them are very good, one is at a show and very short but what happened was just before the clip was taken, I was standing in line up waiting and something went up his nose and he started panicking so he was on his best behaviour so not sure how good that clip will be and the other one is really dark and I was trying to work out some issues that we were having so my riding looks to not be up to par.but I am trying to get them up and goingso if I can then I will post them but other then that, here is a picture of him loping...and yes, I know, he is behind the vertical, my hands are too low...lol, and I have a horrible look on my face


Quote:
Originally Posted by gottatrot    
I like to use the voice with training, using every aid I can. After using my body cues consistently for awhile my horses don't need the verbal cue anymore and I drop it. But I find it particularly helpful when you're teaching something on the lunge line first and then transitioning it over to under saddle. It is hard for many horses to balance a rider and lope slowly. If you work on building the proper muscles on the lunge first it becomes easier for the horse to carry a rider.
As for the extended trot: you teach that it's another gait in between trot and lope. You drive the horse forward but don't let them speed up more than a little and don't let them break gait (using whatever cue you have decided means extended trot). It's just like under saddle except the impulsion comes from your whip and body language. Making the circle smaller can help control the speed of it while making the horse reach more.
thanks for the tip, I will have to try it and he definitely is much more balanced now. He was fairly unbalanced a while back and had trouble picking up his right lead and couldn't circle to the right at the lope...i had some time where I couldn't ride him due to issues with him and so I was working on his lunging because he was never really lunged before and I found it really helped to get him balanced. Now he is picking up both leads perfectly and he circles in both directions. I never thought to try it before this because we have a round pen and just thought it was an "undersaddle" issue because he never did these things in the round pen but I couldn't ride him and it was too cold to be outside round penning so I figured what the heck we'll work on lunging and all these issues came up that I was having trouble with undersaddle, when I got back on there wasn't much to fix in those areas thanks for the tip on extending, I don't think i've ever seen anyone ask for extension on the lungeline.
     
    01-12-2011, 11:15 PM
  #15
Foal
Ok so heres the one short video of him YouTube - chance, armstrong
     
    01-12-2011, 11:17 PM
  #16
Weanling
What a pretty horse. Do other people tell you your horse is loping fast? Because sometimes it can be deceptive when a horse has lots of energy and comes up high in the lope and you're really not going as fast as you think you are. Are you passing other people in the arena?
It sound like your horse is getting more and more balanced so maybe he just needs to practice more and learn to really relax and his lope will slow down naturally as he builds the proper muscles.
     
    01-12-2011, 11:18 PM
  #17
Foal
Balance, balance, balance

Seems like a balance issue to me, if he's not balanced at the canter chances are he's not going to do anything but A) speed up or B) break gate

My gelding when first started undersaddle had this issue, he was ethier speeding around or breaking into this huge akward trot. A ton of lungeing with side reins at the canter so he could balance without a rider first,then lots of trot to canter and canter to trot transitions on a circle and changes of direction so he had to use his rear end at all times. And of course more circles at the canter with me just leaveing him alone basicly and half-halting when needed - basicly just acting as a pair of side reins.. He got stronger after a couple months and can now do almost any "gear" at the canter I ask for!
     
    01-12-2011, 11:20 PM
  #18
Yearling
Hmm its kinda hard to give proper advice from just one photo, but I'll try my hardest! You've got a really light seat there, and I'm assuming you're trying to stop him? Even if you're not, I'd like to see you sitting deeper in the saddle. Its important to also be realistic about what you want from him. He looks like a lovely big fella, so don't expect a full on WP lope.

First of all, use your voice. A nice slow eaaasy might get him to drop it down a a little bit. If he doesn't sit deep and use half halts until you feel him beginning to slow. However, don't let him break gait. Use half halts last, as it might confuse him and only use them as you feel necessarry.
     
    01-12-2011, 11:21 PM
  #19
Weanling
In the video though I assume you are not trying to lope because you're jumping, right?
     
    01-12-2011, 11:30 PM
  #20
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by gottatrot    
What a pretty horse. Do other people tell you your horse is loping fast? Because sometimes it can be deceptive when a horse has lots of energy and comes up high in the lope and you're really not going as fast as you think you are. Are you passing other people in the arena?
It sound like your horse is getting more and more balanced so maybe he just needs to practice more and learn to really relax and his lope will slow down naturally as he builds the proper muscles.
thank you I have had him for 6 years.my BO tells me sometimes that I need to slow him down but she likes the ultra slow WP horses.it's funny that you say that because I sometimes wonder if it is just that he feels fast to me. I don't get to watch ppl ride him and I don't get a lot of video of us but ya, like at home he definitely does pass ppl but like I said, when I get him to a show he just slows right down on his own but I want to be able to control it because even at shows if I want to speed him up I can't so I want to be able to control it and have it consistent.yes, he is definitely getting more balanced which is nice. And the other day when I rode him and he was off my leg he felt more relaxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeWoah    
Balance, balance, balance

Seems like a balance issue to me, if he's not balanced at the canter chances are he's not going to do anything but A) speed up or B) break gate

My gelding when first started undersaddle had this issue, he was ethier speeding around or breaking into this huge akward trot. A ton of lungeing with side reins at the canter so he could balance without a rider first,then lots of trot to canter and canter to trot transitions on a circle and changes of direction so he had to use his rear end at all times. And of course more circles at the canter with me just leaveing him alone basicly and half-halting when needed - basicly just acting as a pair of side reins.. He got stronger after a couple months and can now do almost any "gear" at the canter I ask for!
I did do the whole lungeing thing with him but without the side reins. But I will try the transitions on the circles. Thank you
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
speeding up a slow wallking horse?? garlicbunny Horse Training 6 09-20-2010 07:01 PM
How to slow trot and slow lope????? Velvetgrace Horse Training 6 09-16-2010 12:23 AM
~ Wow! She Can Go Slow... flamingauburnmustang Jumping 8 07-11-2010 06:21 AM
what do i do to slow down my horse when jumping! strawberrypaint Horse Training 7 10-11-2009 01:31 PM
Horse is hard to slow down kitten_Val Horse Training 16 11-06-2008 04:05 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0