This is how we train a fearless trail horse! - Page 21
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

This is how we train a fearless trail horse!

This is a discussion on This is how we train a fearless trail horse! within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • How to train your horse to jump hedges and ditches

Like Tree452Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-07-2012, 07:05 AM
  #201
Super Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebird    
Sorry I thought you were from Engalnd. Australia space and set up is very similar to USA but with far fewer people LOL. We just couldn't do what you do with your trail horses in England. England's big towns are too built up and too much traffic, our roads are far too narrow and tend to be bordered by thick hedges and/or trees and dare I say, barbed wire fencing! We cannot 'ride through' scary stuff because there is literally nowhere to go with the horse to get him out of danger. You go forward...meet big truck on the other side...you go backwards...build up of traffic waiting to pass you...you go sideways...you end up with your horse down a ditch or caught in barbed wire, probably with you underneath the horse. Trail riding methods sound as if they work great in a particular landscape but not in overcrowded england. We still have to 'bombproof' our horses and the only way to do this is by exposure to what we consider the main 'scary' things. In saying that, we can't cover everything and at times it is about controlling the horse and trust but not to the extent you do it in the USA and Australia.
Have a look at this video of a 'spooked horse' riding down an 'English Trail'. Rider actually recovers things well but it may help everyone understand what he have to deal with in England LOL
Spooked Horse - YouTube
Yes exactly. All our horses are used to being passed by double deckers buses and milk tankers (and I live in the country!), but it is the freak pheasant flying out that catches them unawares (makes me jump too). The only way forward is to keep takingthem out until most things are accepted but be ready for that rubbish sack or traffic sign that wasn't there last time we went past
Bluebird likes this.
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-07-2012, 09:19 AM
  #202
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clava    
Yes exactly. All our horses are used to being passed by double deckers buses and milk tankers (and I live in the country!), but it is the freak pheasant flying out that catches them unawares (makes me jump too). The only way forward is to keep takingthem out until most things are accepted but be ready for that rubbish sack or traffic sign that wasn't there last time we went past
I think the guy filming is on a motorbike and it was the sound of the engine which initially caused the horse to spook. The driver on the other side of the road slowed down but didn't stop and continued forward until he decided for safety to stop. Good that the motor cycle turned the engine off eventually too! Horse then calmed down and was got under control. Horse obviously trusted the rider but the horse was also 'desensitised' to traffic. I think it would have been a totally different story if the horse was a first timer. Would be interested to know how you could make a horse 'ride through' a situation like this and remain totally safe not just to itself and rider but also to other road users...LOL
     
    11-07-2012, 09:50 AM
  #203
Trained
I know that feeling. Narrow dirt road. Cactus on either side. 500 lb green insect (aka dirt bike rider) coming at us. Happily, the dirt bike rider responded to the "OMG Crouch" and "Jump left, right, left, right!" by killing his engine. I asked him to say something. Once Mia heard a human voice, she sighed & relaxed.

Bluebird likes this.
     
    11-07-2012, 10:14 AM
  #204
Weanling
Looks like heaven, even with the cacti and the big insects! Much better than thorny hedges, barbed wire, ditches and 20 tonne trucks. MY horses and me would love some of this! You're so lucky.
Clava likes this.
     
    11-07-2012, 10:35 AM
  #205
Trained
I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford in the late 80s/early 90s. Beautiful country. Oxford, Warwick Castle, trips to Wales and Yorkshire...but pretty difficult for riding, it looked to me. On a "two lane road", I once lost both mirrors - to a tree on one side and a lorry on the other! Lost the driver's window too, since I was mainly trying to avoid the lorry that took out the passenger mirror.

My home for 3.5 years:

Bluebird likes this.
     
    11-07-2012, 10:40 AM
  #206
Weanling
Thought you may like to see how we use our horses at times in the UK. These are the ones we 'desensitise'. Can you imagine trying this out for the first time and riding through it on an inexperienced horse? I htink my point is that where you have the open space to get a horse to trust you and 'ride through it' then it works brilliantly. However if you are a horse faced with this on ocassions, desensitising also works. That is not to say that we make a horse 'numb', we still let it think for itself. Not a pleasant video and please may I say that this is a minority section of thugs. This is not your usual Brit. Fantastic police horses though.
     
    11-07-2012, 10:40 AM
  #207
Weanling
Police Horses on Duty in the UK. Densitised!

Thought you may like to see how we use our horses at times in the UK. These are the ones we 'desensitise'. Can you imagine trying this out for the first time and riding through it on an inexperienced horse? I htink my point is that where you have the open space to get a horse to trust you and 'ride through it' then it works brilliantly. However if you are a horse faced with this on ocassions, desensitising also works. That is not to say that we make a horse 'numb', we still let it think for itself. Not a pleasant video and please may I say that this is a minority section of thugs. This is not your usual Brit. Fantastic police horses though.
     
    11-07-2012, 10:41 AM
  #208
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms    
I was stationed at RAF Upper Heyford in the late 80s/early 90s. Beautiful country. Oxford, Warwick Castle, trips to Wales and Yorkshire...but pretty difficult for riding, it looked to me. On a "two lane road", I once lost both mirrors - to a tree on one side and a lorry on the other! Lost the driver's window too, since I was mainly trying to avoid the lorry that took out the passenger mirror.

My home for 3.5 years:

Hope the rear view mirrors weren't on your horse...LOL
     
    11-07-2012, 04:51 PM
  #209
Trained
I'm sorry, but you just don't know where I ride my horse. I've been on my horse when a semi has gone past less than half a metre away with a massive ditch on the other side with nowhere to go - Yes my horse spooked, but because I 'ride though' things, I was able to keep enough control of his body to keep him pointed and moving in the right direction so we where fine.

We don't have hedges like you but we certainly have roads bordered by barbed wire, tiny grass verges in the middle of highways, concrete footpaths right nest to roads with suburban fences on the other side.

One situation we regularly face is traffic on one side and someones massive dog in their backyard going nuts behind the fence on the other side. Once again the horse may spook but we maintain enough body control to keep them travelling on the same line.

We ride footpaths across bridges that have traffic on one side and a drop down into a creek on the other.

Foot bridges across creeks that are barely wide enough for one horse to cross.

Causeways that flood and have only a metre or so wide section you can cross and if you deviate you will be washed away.

*

I do also ride in lovely open spaces, i'm lucky enough to have the best of both worlds, living on the edge of a city. But please don't tell me you know everything my horses have to deal with when you aren't here and don't see where we ride. Riding in the CBD of the nations capital certainly provides some very scary and high stress situations for a horse.
     
    11-07-2012, 04:55 PM
  #210
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by wild_spot    
I'm sorry, but you just don't know where I ride my horse. I've been on my horse when a semi has gone past less than half a metre away with a massive ditch on the other side with nowhere to go - Yes my horse spooked, but because I 'ride though' things, I was able to keep enough control of his body to keep him pointed and moving in the right direction so we where fine.

We don't have hedges like you but we certainly have roads bordered by barbed wire, tiny grass verges in the middle of highways, concrete footpaths right nest to roads with suburban fences on the other side.

One situation we regularly face is traffic on one side and someones massive dog in their backyard going nuts behind the fence on the other side. Once again the horse may spook but we maintain enough body control to keep them travelling on the same line.

We ride footpaths across bridges that have traffic on one side and a drop down into a creek on the other.

Foot bridges across creeks that are barely wide enough for one horse to cross.

Causeways that flood and have only a metre or so wide section you can cross and if you deviate you will be washed away.

*

I do also ride in lovely open spaces, i'm lucky enough to have the best of both worlds, living on the edge of a city. But please don't tell me you know everything my horses have to deal with when you aren't here and don't see where we ride. Riding in the CBD of the nations capital certainly provides some very scary and high stress situations for a horse.
I haven't said I know everything about where you live or everything about Australia either. All I have been doing is making comparisons about 'trail' methods of horse training versus 'desensitisation'similar to the people who think their way is always the 'right way'. I am just showing that there are different methods. It is not my intention to offend anyone or give someone the hump. Different countries have different sitautions to expose their horse to
     

Tags
spooking, trail horse

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dog train my horse, or horse train my dog? momo3boys Horse Training 3 04-29-2011 12:49 PM
fearless? sophielou10 Horse Riding 20 04-16-2010 09:18 PM
Fearless and under stimulated filly. riccil0ve Horse Training 4 08-13-2009 02:54 PM
How do you train a horse to go on the bit? Please help!! Emma7442 Horse Training 34 02-23-2008 04:51 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0