The hypocrisy of Natural Horsemanship - Page 7
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

The hypocrisy of Natural Horsemanship

This is a discussion on The hypocrisy of Natural Horsemanship within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree121Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        08-18-2012, 10:57 PM
      #61
    Yearling
    AC don't hate the player, hate the game.

    My FAVORITE part in the first video was when Clinton flipped that horse over and the owner GASPS and she's horrified and Clinton DOESN'T EVEN CARE. I laughed my @ss off over that one. I've tried for the longest time to figure out how he gets away with some of the things he does and I think I've got it. He's really, really good at talking his way out of sh*tty situations. I've seen him repeatedly kick a horse in the belly (it's on his old problem solving DVD) and he wasn't publicly crucified. Unlike Parelli and the Catwalk incident.

    Parelli's mistake was that he apologized.
    christopher likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        08-19-2012, 12:39 AM
      #62
    Trained
    You and I must not have watched the same Video. That horse fliped himself. CA did not do it to the horse. That is nothing new. A lot of horses when you put a bit of pressure on them will flip themselves.

    As to kicking a horse in the belly. I have done that several times with horses especially breeding stallions. It would take a lot more then what a person can do to hurt a horse. Heck they get kicked by other horses. Now I am sure if I hit them in just the right spot with a lot of force then maybe... Keep in mind that these are 1200lbs animals. What we can do vs what anouther horse can do...

    While I am not a big fan of CA. What I have seen him do when correcting a horse who is missbehaving is nothing that I or other people I know have done. Do it right the first time and there is rarely a second.
    boots likes this.
         
        08-19-2012, 01:24 AM
      #63
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    You and I must not have watched the same Video. That horse fliped himself. CA did not do it to the horse. That is nothing new. A lot of horses when you put a bit of pressure on them will flip themselves.

    As to kicking a horse in the belly. I have done that several times with horses especially breeding stallions. It would take a lot more then what a person can do to hurt a horse. Heck they get kicked by other horses. Now I am sure if I hit them in just the right spot with a lot of force then maybe... Keep in mind that these are 1200lbs animals. What we can do vs what anouther horse can do...

    While I am not a big fan of CA. What I have seen him do when correcting a horse who is missbehaving is nothing that I or other people I know have done. Do it right the first time and there is rarely a second.
    Oh totally. I'm sure he'd have flipped even if Clinton hadn't have been there. It's not an uncommon thing for a horse to do. They do it in the pasture ALL the time.
    boots likes this.
         
        08-19-2012, 04:32 AM
      #64
    Yearling
    First of all, GREAT POST a few back, Cherie, loved what you had to say & HOW you said it.

    Second, can someone tell me what the "Catwalk incident" referred to above, with PP, was about? I've never heard of it! DETAILS!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        08-19-2012, 09:34 AM
      #65
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ian McDonald    
    AC don't hate the player, hate the game.

    My FAVORITE part in the first video was when Clinton flipped that horse over and the owner GASPS and she's horrified and Clinton DOESN'T EVEN CARE. I laughed my @ss off over that one. I've tried for the longest time to figure out how he gets away with some of the things he does and I think I've got it. He's really, really good at talking his way out of sh*tty situations. I've seen him repeatedly kick a horse in the belly (it's on his old problem solving DVD) and he wasn't publicly crucified. Unlike Parelli and the Catwalk incident.

    Parelli's mistake was that he apologized.
    I think the real difference between Parelli and CA is that Parelli leads us to believe that we can have a bond with our horses and CA tells us to be their leader and not to worry about all of the mushy love feelings we have.

    I am one of those people who needed to squash those mushy lovey dovey feelings and learn to be a leader. I have a friend who follows Parelli and she doesn't even really ride her horse, down deep I don't think she trust the horse, so she showers the horse with all kinds of excuses and treats and love. I can't really completely follow CA methods they do cost a lot but for the most part I try to follow his ideas, and I get to ride my horses.
    Ian McDonald and boots like this.
         
        08-19-2012, 01:22 PM
      #66
    Weanling
    Cherie I couldn't have said it better. Your story is very close to mine. When I got my Appy foal I took my time to break her, getting her used to halter, blanket and rope around her. Before I put on a saddle I used a bareback pad with out sturps attached just get used to the girth which only took a couple of days then I added the sturps and she got used to them swinging and hitting her side which she didn't care to much but wanted to see what was hitting her side more that fighting them. By the time she was 1.5 years she had a light weight English saddle on and didn't mind a bit and never bucked once. I gradually started leaning on her back while talking to her and rubbing her neck and she knew it was me. Just before she was 2 my 6 year old niece was ridding her. By the time she was 2.5 I was able to get on her back and she never bucked once. I would love to be able to do that again we had bonded so well but that was some 40 odd years ago and a lot of pounds less.
         
        08-20-2012, 06:00 PM
      #67
    Super Moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nrhareiner    
    You and I must not have watched the same Video. That horse fliped himself. CA did not do it to the horse. That is nothing new. A lot of horses when you put a bit of pressure on them will flip themselves.

    As to kicking a horse in the belly. I have done that several times with horses especially breeding stallions. It would take a lot more then what a person can do to hurt a horse. Heck they get kicked by other horses. Now I am sure if I hit them in just the right spot with a lot of force then maybe... Keep in mind that these are 1200lbs animals. What we can do vs what anouther horse can do...

    While I am not a big fan of CA. What I have seen him do when correcting a horse who is missbehaving is nothing that I or other people I know have done. Do it right the first time and there is rarely a second.
    I've had quite a few horses flip out of temper - quite often because they don't want to lunge on one particular direction, I've never made them do it it seems to be a knee jerk reaction they have - like a toddler throwing itself on the floor when it can't have its own way.
    Its better to establish rules from the start even if it does mean a good whack to establish them - better that than a dangerous horse who has no clue whats acceptable
    Clinton gets away with it because he never pretends to be all Mr Nice Guy - Parelli on the other hand was selling his soft and patient and gentle approach and got caught off guard by a horse that hadn't read his book so took serious offence at it. The horse was OK and doing well in top jumping classes a year later without his help!!!!
    COWCHICK77 and chandra1313 like this.
         
        08-21-2012, 11:06 AM
      #68
    Weanling
    I have seen young horses behave this way in pasture and their dams give them discipline with a nip or two.
         
        08-21-2012, 02:52 PM
      #69
    Super Moderator
    Parelli meets Catwalk

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Back2Horseback    
    First of all, GREAT POST a few back, Cherie, loved what you had to say & HOW you said it.

    Second, can someone tell me what the "Catwalk incident" referred to above, with PP, was about? I've never heard of it! DETAILS!!
    Posted via Mobile Device
    This happened 2 years ago at the Festival of the Horse at Stoneleigh UK The horse belonged to Robert Whittaker - son of John and from one of the most well known and respected UK showjumping families. They are not the sort of family who had horses handed to them on a plate - used to dealing with stallions and young horses with attitude. I don't know why they sent the stallion as they are certainly not the sort of people who would need help sorting a horse or a 'quick fix'. The horses was not a wild stallion but a 7 year old used to being around people and noise - it wasn't at all concerned with the goings on there but didn't take kindly to being handled the PP way. I would imagine that the Whittakers & their staff had a way of getting around this head thing it had like all good horsemen would
    PP gave a written apology and later paid the horse another visit where he went to great lengths to show how he could now 'pet' the horses head
    A lot of people were so disgusted by his behaviour that they walked out and demanded their money back
    The film is poor quality but you can see what happened
    pat parelli catwalk - YouTube

    This should be a clip of the same horse showjumping a year later and wearing an ear cover!!

         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Natural Horsemanship: Can you train an old horse natural horsemanship techniques? NicolaNZ Natural Horsemanship 8 10-03-2011 01:46 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:36 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0