I thought I would drop by with an update.
As you may remember, Ike was given to us by gypsys and had never received any medical attention but since then he has been wormed, a farrier is booked although he doesn't seem to need one yet (we want to get him started) and the vet visited today to microchip him, send off for our passport and give a tetanus shot.
The vet was superb and gave us loads of advice. We were strongly advised by everyone to have Ike gelded as soon as possible, however, nature has decided to get in the way.
Ike is a unilateral rig and at 16 months, we have now been advised to wait a good 6 months to see if the testicle drops but the vet doesn't think it will so he will probably have to go to hospital to be gelded.
This leaves us with an entire colt for a lot longer than we had anticipated.
However, the vet was very very complimentary about Ike and felt we should have little problem with him seeing as he has a superb temperament. She was very impressed that he let her grope around looking for the missing testicle. He was very good indeed and took his shot and microchip with no fuss.
I feel disappointed that Ike couldn't be gelded today but we will still go ahead and do it when we can - hopefully in about 6 months.