This is incredible!
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

This is incredible!

This is a discussion on This is incredible! within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree2Likes
    • 2 Post By ilikehorses2

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-15-2013, 01:05 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Thumbs up This is incredible!

    I have always had a hard time stopping a horse that I ride until I watched this video. Now he stops on a dime and is starting to back up a few steps. On the first day I rode him after watching this video, he started stopping and on the second day I lifted the reigns and he stopped right away! It actually scared me...

    amberly and MiniMom24 like this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-15-2013, 01:41 PM
      #2
    Super Moderator
    Have you never heard any of this before? Is it that unusual to you?

    How were you taught to stop and back a horse before?
         
        10-15-2013, 03:02 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    have you never heard any of this before? Is it that unusual to you?

    How were you taught to stop and back a horse before?
    I was never really taught. I just knew how to stay on.
         
        10-15-2013, 08:37 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tinyliny    
    have you never heard any of this before? Is it that unusual to you?

    How were you taught to stop and back a horse before?
    I will also mention that he would not stop for people who had tons of experience with horses either. It could take 5-10 minutes before, to stop him. Surprising enough, I was the one who could get him to stop the quickest. I would sit deep in the saddle and pull a little and if he slows down release. If he didn't I would give a little harder pull and release if he slowed then. Eventually when I had no pull left I would turn him in a tight circle. I could usually get him to stop before that though. When I first rode him, he would not stop for anybody. So he has made some improvement.
         
        10-16-2013, 10:50 AM
      #5
    Started
    Quote:
    I will also mention that he would not stop for people who had tons of experience with horses either. It could take 5-10 minutes before, to stop him.
    Tons of experience doesn't necessarily mean anything. I know people who have worked with horses for decades that I would not let ride mine. Its the really good horse people you want around, which by the sounds of it, these were not. I could get him stopped within 30 seconds, using one rein, not because I'm super talented or knowledgeable, but I have picked up some basic skills along the way that help me ride safely. A horse that wont stop is not safe. A horse that takes 10 minutes to stop is dangerous. On the trails I do, we would both be injured or dead.

    Back to the subject at hand, its great that you are learning new skills, and applying them to your horse. You will have a better horse and a safer ride. Knowledge and keeping an open mind are key when it comes to learning how to communicate with your horse, and this post shows you are on the right track.

    I highly recommend also looking at videos of a one rein stop, and teaching that to your horse as well. Its not something you use all the time, but its kind of like installing an e-brake in your car; you don't need it most of the time, but its sure nice to have when you do!
         
        10-16-2013, 01:28 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlueSpark    
    Back to the subject at hand, its great that you are learning new skills, and applying them to your horse. You will have a better horse and a safer ride. Knowledge and keeping an open mind are key when it comes to learning how to communicate with your horse, and this post shows you are on the right track.

    I highly recommend also looking at videos of a one rein stop, and teaching that to your horse as well. Its not something you use all the time, but its kind of like installing an e-brake in your car; you don't need it most of the time, but its sure nice to have when you do!

    I have watched thousands of horse videos ( maybe not that many) to try to be a better ride for him. I have only watched a few on one reign stops.


    Is this a good one?

         
        10-16-2013, 01:58 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Don't you love those epiphany moments? Keep doing what you're doing, drawing from all these sources of information. I can tell you that it only gets better and better the farther you take it. :) Do you have giddyupflix?

    Speaking of stops and reaching the feet in a western performance-style kind of riding, have you seen this one? I think it complements what Larry T. Is talking about!

         
        10-16-2013, 02:30 PM
      #8
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ian McDonald    
    Don't you love those epiphany moments? Keep doing what you're doing, drawing from all these sources of information. I can tell you that it only gets better and better the farther you take it. :) Do you have giddyupflix?

    Speaking of stops and reaching the feet in a western performance-style kind of riding, have you seen this one? I think it complements what Larry T. Is talking about!

    Buck on Getting to the Feet - INTRO DISC 5 - YouTube

    Thank you! No I don't have giddyupflix. Is it something I should look into getting?
         
        10-16-2013, 04:07 PM
      #9
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ilikehorses2    
    Thank you! No I don't have giddyupflix. Is it something I should look into getting?
    It's great if you like expand your knowledge through watching DVDs! And they have about everything by everyone.
         
        10-16-2013, 04:14 PM
      #10
    Weanling
    I really like Larry and some of the ways he teaches (he's the one from the first video you posted ILikeHorses2), I signed up for his Email notifications from his website and I enjoy reading them.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    An incredible bond SplashsKwikSand Horse Stories and Poems 1 05-24-2012 06:24 PM
    Feeling incredible beauforever23 Horse Pictures 8 09-07-2011 01:20 AM
    Incredible KUR My2Geldings Horse Videos 9 10-04-2010 02:52 PM
    My incredible mare. =D riccil0ve Horse Pictures 9 02-21-2010 01:06 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:17 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0