Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: ~*~ NEBRASKA ~*~
Itcing to "climb aboard"
So I've had Cinny about 2 weeks now and I am just dying to just climb on up. My trainer/friend (she's a friend who is a trainer, but is not training my horse just advising) says I should wait and work him on ground work a bit more.
1) He is 7, was green broke at 2 and then thrown back into pasture with mom until last summer.
2) He was ridden on trail last summer for about a month but then threw his rider/owner who never got on him again.
3) He is showing manners and respect while I am leading (but not for other people). He will walk, whoa and back on voice command. He will yield to my hand on his flank or shoulder. When leading he stays by my right shoulder on a loose line even through tight figure 8's
4) He will walk/trot both directions in the round pen and on lunge line. He will NOT canter for me and balks every time (we are working on this).
5) He will stand quietly to be saddled and bridled and will continue to stand quietly for a while fully tacked. Takes the bit REALLY well, I mean he actually grabs it from me and gets impatient if I take too long fidgeting with the bridle before putting it on him ha ha. I have NOT worked him with tack on.
6) He does get aggressive, especially towards my friend/trainer who he seems to hate and has even charged her (not sure if this temperment will effect MY work with him or not as he has NEVER shown aggression towards me).
So honest opinion, am I just getting too impatient and I should wait/do other exercises with him for a while. I keep thinking he will be fine because he HAS been ridden, just not much and he did toss someone.
Be brutally honest. If I'm being a wimp, tell me....if I am impatient, tell me. I think that I'm not thinking clearly on this one.