Jealous Horse?
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Jealous Horse?

This is a discussion on Jealous Horse? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Horse jealous
  • Horse that is jeliouse of me.

Like Tree52Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    12-10-2012, 08:04 PM
  #1
Yearling
Jealous Horse?

Again with my horse Breeze...

Okay, so today I went out to see my horse Breeze. She is not showing any bad bahaviour towards me anymore and is back to her normal, loving and quiet nature self.

BUT...

I brought my sister with me, and she wanted to do stuff with another horse Breeze is in with, Robin. So Robin is nice and calm and we brought both Breeze and Robin outside the pen to take them for a walk, well Breeze was turning her butt to Robin as if she were going to kick her, well, I turned her butt and just kept on walking, she did this multiple times. She was also acting up a little, being ancy and stuff, wanting to go go go! I put Breeze back in the pen, and she started bolting around with another horse, then coming back to the gate and looking. We still had Robin and we took her for a walk.

When we got back to the pen, Breeze was waiting and I put Robin back in. Breeze came walking up to me, all calm and stuff so I put the halter on her, and I brought her for a walk by herself, and she was nice and calm and relaxed.

I am thinking this is jealousy, as I usually just do stuff with Breeze and not with the other horses. And when I do stuff with the others, I have to tie her up so she won't get in the way!

What are your thoughts and opinions?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
  #2
Yearling
Or ways to fix this? I don't want a horse that does not like other horses when out in the open? She is fine with the other horses when I am not doing anything with them.
montcowboy likes this.
     
    12-10-2012, 08:25 PM
  #3
Trained
A horse can be jealous of other horses all they like - without it changing their behaviour. I am the leader of the herd, so I can pay attention to whomever I wish. I would have driven her away and made a real show of paying attention to the other horses until she came in submissively. Any behaviour toward another horse like that, particularly out of the paddock and under human control, would not be tolerated. If she had respect, she wouldn't do it, she still thinks she can dictate your actions.
     
    12-10-2012, 08:40 PM
  #4
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
A horse can be jealous of other horses all they like - without it changing their behaviour. I am the leader of the herd, so I can pay attention to whomever I wish. I would have driven her away and made a real show of paying attention to the other horses until she came in submissively. Any behaviour toward another horse like that, particularly out of the paddock and under human control, would not be tolerated. If she had respect, she wouldn't do it, she still thinks she can dictate your actions.
She does have respect for me, and when she is alone, she is great. I could have done nothing to stop her from running around in the pen she was in, because I was with the other horse. I ignored her and let her run around all she wanted. When I got back, I stopped her and she came to me after I put the other horse away. Afterwords, she was good.

I will not let anybody say she has NO respect for me though, because that is a lie. She does have respect and nobody can say she doesn't until they actually have been around her and me.
     
    12-10-2012, 08:44 PM
  #5
Weanling
Just kinda sounds like to me with limited knowlege of her and where your at.but sounds to me like she is just ready to go..not enough work.. horses are like kids.when fed well..and limited use and rides..they can all get a little hotter then they normally are..some way hotter.. but she sounds like she was feeling good..just my opinion with limited knowledge.. anyways..ride safe..happy holidays
     
    12-10-2012, 08:45 PM
  #6
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy2011    
She does have respect for me, and when she is alone, she is great. I could have done nothing to stop her from running around in the pen she was in, because I was with the other horse. I ignored her and let her run around all she wanted. When I got back, I stopped her and she came to me after I put the other horse away. Afterwords, she was good.

I will not let anybody say she has NO respect for me though, because that is a lie. She does have respect and nobody can say she doesn't until they actually have been around her and me.
Every problem you have posted comes down to a lack of "respect" - she doesn't consider you her leader, she considers you her equal. So please, tell us why we shouldn't tell you that it is a lack of respect, when every single problem you have had comes back down to that?

When you had both horses out, you said that when she presented the jealous behaviour, you "turned her butt and just kept on walking". That is not what a leader does. A leader would have opened a can of whoop-ass on her - disrespect should be met with a resounding "punishment" of being shown who is boss. I would have growled loudly, and driven her back away from both me and the other horse, snapping the lead line and really pushing her back with loud, aggressive body posturing. Then I would have let her come in submissively, and ignored her as she came, while foisting attention on the other horse. You are the boss, you decide who to pay attention to, not her.
     
    12-10-2012, 08:46 PM
  #7
Green Broke
I know you say she respects you but obviously she doesn't when other horses are around. You should have gone after her for turning her butt to that other horse while you were walking them. That is not ok behavior whether she is jealous or just trying to be boss it doesn't matter.
Sure she has gotten better but you are still not getting after her enough if she is still acting that way to other horses.
Sorry if you wanna stay in denial go ahead but it won't help any.
NdAppy and themacpack like this.
     
    12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
  #8
Yearling
That could be, but this was also the first time she was out in the open with another horse.
     
    12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
  #9
Green Broke
Honestly, Breezy, at this point it is an awful lot like talking to a wall
     
    12-10-2012, 08:50 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiilaa    
Every problem you have posted comes down to a lack of "respect" - she doesn't consider you her leader, she considers you her equal. So please, tell us why we shouldn't tell you that it is a lack of respect, when every single problem you have had comes back down to that?

When you had both horses out, you said that when she presented the jealous behaviour, you "turned her butt and just kept on walking". That is not what a leader does. A leader would have opened a can of whoop-ass on her - disrespect should be met with a resounding "punishment" of being shown who is boss. I would have growled loudly, and driven her back away from both me and the other horse, snapping the lead line and really pushing her back with loud, aggressive body posturing. Then I would have let her come in submissively, and ignored her as she came, while foisting attention on the other horse. You are the boss, you decide who to pay attention to, not her.
Okay, every problem I have posted on here, have been the same problem, not different ones, and now they ARE FIXED, yes, I turned her butt and kept on walking, but when I did that, I got mad at her, I didn't let it slide.
montcowboy likes this.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Do you own a jealous horse? xoxoNohea Horse Talk 26 06-29-2012 03:14 AM
Dream horse...very jealous Samstead Horse Talk 6 04-06-2012 02:08 AM
Jealous horse Nutty Saddler Horse Tack and Equipment 4 06-25-2009 02:53 PM
My Horse Is Jealous? MelissaLovesHorses Horse Training 8 02-05-2008 12:59 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0