Kicking - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 01-11-2010, 10:28 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 23
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressagexlee View Post
Are you directing you post at me?
Because if you are, you should re-read my posts. And, Otis is a gelding. ~
Easy killer! Im just putting that out there as a solution I've used and have gotten great result in return. Its for anyone who wants to take it.

I didn't direct it towards you, if I was going to, then I would have quoted it! But I didn't so calm down and don't be so defensive. We're on here to talk about enjoying horses, not jump down each others throats!
Candace09 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 Old 01-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southern Alberta, Canada
Posts: 554
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candace09 View Post
Easy killer! Im just putting that out there as a solution I've used and have gotten great result in return. Its for anyone who wants to take it.

I didn't direct it towards you, if I was going to, then I would have quoted it! But I didn't so calm down and don't be so defensive. We're on here to talk about enjoying horses, not jump down each others throats!
...There was no angry tone in my post at all? I was just asking.

sing mε a blazing northεrn sky.
dressagexlee is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 01-11-2010, 11:20 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dressagexlee View Post
...There was no angry tone in my post at all? I was just asking.
That's not how it sounded to me.

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #14 of 22 Old 01-11-2010, 11:21 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southern Alberta, Canada
Posts: 554
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses View Post
That's not how it sounded to me.
Welcome to the internet.
And where exactly do you come in on this? Simply to ridicule me?

sing mε a blazing northεrn sky.
dressagexlee is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 01-11-2010, 11:23 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,002
• Horses: 0
Years ago, a horse came in whose owner wanted "miles put on her" since she hadn't been ridden for several months. I asked the owner if there was anything I should know about her before I got started and she said "Not really. Except she's a little goosey about her hind feet at times." When she arrived she seemed fine..that is until I put my hand on her hip and she kicked out with both hinds with enough force to lose a shoe! A LITTLE goosey? Riiiigggghhhtt. She had no scars on her hind legs and nothing that would indicate an old injury she might be protective of. And I was going to have to remove the other shoe and thought her kicking out could have been because I was unfamiliar…giving her the benefit of the doubt. I knew her feet had been worked on, she had SHOES on, so I decided to take it slow, call the owner in the morning and find out the name of the farrier she used and talk to him. Sooo, I took the rope and gently swung it so that it would wrap around her hind legs and she EXPLODED into a kicking bucking fit. It was obvious then and there that anything that touched this horse from behind was DEAD MEAT! I did get ahold of the farrier and he said that she had to be tranqed to the point of being laid down to shoe her and that she'd been that way all of her life. Oh lovely! To make a long story short, I put her on a lunge line in the arena, roped her hind foot and lunged her with it on. She bucked, kicked and threw quite the fit, but I just stayed with her. I didn't tighten the rope, I didn't pull on it or throw her off balance with it, I just went with her. After a good while she got tired and calmed down and when she did, I'd lift/pull up on the rope. It took a while, but after a few times of this, she finally stood there and let me lift her foot up with the rope without kicking, and later, without any objection. Then I stood beside her and lifted her foot up and when she accepted that, I took the rope off by hand. Had to repeat it for the other side, but when the horse left here, she would allow her feet to be messed with and would no longer kick out when touched. I'm not saying this is what you should do, I'm only telling you what works for me - and it didn't involve whacking her or endangering either of us.
Horse Poor is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 01-12-2010, 12:27 AM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 4,510
• Horses: 2
Easy folks, easy. I can see how lines got crossed, I think dressagexlee just got a bit defensive over RiosDad correcting her without knowing the entire situation, which is understandable. We're all here to learn, and all great methods so far, thanks for elaborating on that dressagexlee, I think I would have paid to see the look on his face

Quote:
I hope God tells her to smash her computer with a sledgehammer.

MacabreMikolaj is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 01-12-2010, 12:46 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southern Alberta, Canada
Posts: 554
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacabreMikolaj View Post
Easy folks, easy. I can see how lines got crossed, I think dressagexlee just got a bit defensive over RiosDad correcting her without knowing the entire situation, which is understandable. We're all here to learn, and all great methods so far, thanks for elaborating on that dressagexlee, I think I would have paid to see the look on his face
Exactly.
And I think Candace also got defensive towards me. I just assumed her post was referring to mine because the OP didn't mention any particular horse, and Candace's reply was worded as "take her and do this", and it was posted right after my replies. And I honestly don't see how she found my question to be "attacking" her? Perhaps I could have worded it differently, but still.

Yes, Otis was quite shocked! I kind of had a flash of this video through my head. He's always assumed me to be the small child he could push around, but that's definitely changed since last year. He's like, "Aw dang, I can't screw around anymore..."


Anyways, let's keep this on track and civil, please! <3

sing mε a blazing northεrn sky.

Last edited by dressagexlee; 01-12-2010 at 12:48 AM.
dressagexlee is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 01-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Trained
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Utah
Posts: 5,455
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Poor View Post
Years ago, a horse came in whose owner wanted "miles put on her" since she hadn't been ridden for several months. I asked the owner if there was anything I should know about her before I got started and she said "Not really. Except she's a little goosey about her hind feet at times." When she arrived she seemed fine..that is until I put my hand on her hip and she kicked out with both hinds with enough force to lose a shoe! A LITTLE goosey? Riiiigggghhhtt. She had no scars on her hind legs and nothing that would indicate an old injury she might be protective of. And I was going to have to remove the other shoe and thought her kicking out could have been because I was unfamiliar…giving her the benefit of the doubt. I knew her feet had been worked on, she had SHOES on, so I decided to take it slow, call the owner in the morning and find out the name of the farrier she used and talk to him. Sooo, I took the rope and gently swung it so that it would wrap around her hind legs and she EXPLODED into a kicking bucking fit. It was obvious then and there that anything that touched this horse from behind was DEAD MEAT! I did get ahold of the farrier and he said that she had to be tranqed to the point of being laid down to shoe her and that she'd been that way all of her life. Oh lovely! To make a long story short, I put her on a lunge line in the arena, roped her hind foot and lunged her with it on. She bucked, kicked and threw quite the fit, but I just stayed with her. I didn't tighten the rope, I didn't pull on it or throw her off balance with it, I just went with her. After a good while she got tired and calmed down and when she did, I'd lift/pull up on the rope. It took a while, but after a few times of this, she finally stood there and let me lift her foot up with the rope without kicking, and later, without any objection. Then I stood beside her and lifted her foot up and when she accepted that, I took the rope off by hand. Had to repeat it for the other side, but when the horse left here, she would allow her feet to be messed with and would no longer kick out when touched. I'm not saying this is what you should do, I'm only telling you what works for me - and it didn't involve whacking her or endangering either of us.

^^^ Very very good advice!!

There's nothing like the Rockies in the springtime... Nothing like the freedom in the air... And there ain't nothing better than draggin calves to the fire and there's nothing like the smell of burning hair. -Brenn Hill
kevinshorses is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 23
• Horses: 1
I like that advice too!

Last edited by Candace09; 01-12-2010 at 12:56 AM.
Candace09 is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 02-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 262
• Horses: 1
I was kicked at a mare from my old riding classes once, right in the thigh when I was trying to catch her. She ran of so I couldn't get her.
Soo frustrating (:

To ride a horse is to ride the sky.

horsesroqke is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
kicking out when being blanketed appylover31803 Horse Training 14 01-19-2009 04:42 PM
Kicking problems Britt Horse Training 6 12-29-2008 05:28 PM
Kicking Erin_And_Jasper Horse Training 15 09-05-2008 09:01 PM
Random kicking ?!! AggieQH Horse Training 6 03-18-2007 01:19 PM
kicking brandig Horse Training 0 03-07-2007 10:35 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome