learning how to ride
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

learning how to ride

This is a discussion on learning how to ride within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • How to ride a horse english

Like Tree27Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    02-25-2013, 06:28 AM
  #1
Foal
learning how to ride

Hey iím a beginner with riding and I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on learning how to ride on a stuborn/lazy horseÖ? He is only 3 yet so lazy and stubornÖ
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    02-25-2013, 07:09 AM
  #2
Yearling
First off, you should not be learning to ride on a 3 year old. That is a disaster waiting to happen. The horse would be green at best, and as the old saying goes "green + green = black and blue".

Second, a lazy/stubborn horse is a great learning tool. It means you don't have to worry about a horse taking off on you. When you are starting out, you need to focus on you. Your aids, your position, your balance, and the list goes on. Plus, learning how to work a stubborn horse is a valuable tool.

But really, find yourself a more experienced horse to learn on. You need a horse that has been around the block and done practically everything.
Palomine, LynnF, Maple and 2 others like this.
     
    02-26-2013, 05:04 AM
  #3
Foal
He used to be a kids leadline horse. I have ridden him and so did my mum and 4yo nephew and did great! Yeh I kno he wont take off on me thanks and how would you suggest too work a stubborn horse ? And Jasper is already my horse thanks
     
    02-26-2013, 05:36 AM
  #4
Super Moderator
First off, we don't know, if he is really stubborn - sometimes horses seem lazy and stubborn, but in fact they are confused and/or scared, and their way of saying it is refusing to move or seemingly paying no attention to cues. Also, it can be related to health issues or not being able to carry out the worload he's asked to. And, as the horse is very young, he might need a more experienced rider to set all the cues very clear to him, just as you should take lessons on a more experienced horse, so that you don't teach your horse unwanted behaviors or make him sour. There's not much else to suggest, just get a competent trainer from your area and find a riding school for yourself. You and your horse will both be better off that way.
     
    02-27-2013, 06:39 AM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saranda    
First off, we don't know, if he is really stubborn - sometimes horses seem lazy and stubborn, but in fact they are confused and/or scared, and their way of saying it is refusing to move or seemingly paying no attention to cues. Also, it can be related to health issues or not being able to carry out the worload he's asked to. And, as the horse is very young, he might need a more experienced rider to set all the cues very clear to him, just as you should take lessons on a more experienced horse, so that you don't teach your horse unwanted behaviors or make him sour. There's not much else to suggest, just get a competent trainer from your area and find a riding school for yourself. You and your horse will both be better off that way.
oh yerh okay thanks.
     
    02-27-2013, 12:56 PM
  #6
Started
Look and ask around you maybe be able to find an experienced trainer who gives lessons by the hour. I give riding lessons on the side there are many people who do.
Shenee likes this.
     
    02-27-2013, 02:16 PM
  #7
Green Broke
Good advice is being given. You really need to take it as will make riding better for you and horse.
     
    02-27-2013, 02:48 PM
  #8
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenee    
He used to be a kids leadline horse. I have ridden him and so did my mum and 4yo nephew and did great! Yeh I kno he wont take off on me thanks and how would you suggest too work a stubborn horse ? And Jasper is already my horse thanks
He used to be a kid's leadline horse? At 3?

I agree with finding an instructor and possibly learning on a more appropriate horse..
     
    02-28-2013, 02:43 AM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peppy Barrel Racing    
look and ask around you maybe be able to find an experienced trainer who gives lessons by the hour. I give riding lessons on the side there are many people who do.
oh yerh where abouts are you located ? Iím guessing nowhere near me
     
    02-28-2013, 02:51 AM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyseternalangel    
He used to be a kid's leadline horse? At 3?

I agree with finding an instructor and possibly learning on a more appropriate horse..
yeh I am finding on thanks. And yep he sure did :) he is amazing :)
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
learning to ride armydogs Horse Pictures 5 02-01-2013 12:44 AM
Learning to ride AustinAndPenny Western Riding 14 09-16-2012 04:40 PM
learning to ride on your own horse? emwiss86 English Riding 7 07-04-2011 06:41 PM
Little Man learning to ride Qtswede Western Riding 13 08-16-2009 02:39 PM
Learning to Ride as an Adult? Nomi Horse Riding 31 01-19-2009 09:18 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0