Leaving a horse tied for hours? - Page 12 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #111 of 193 Old 03-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 605
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaS6 View Post
Just my personal opinion here, but you are WAY over generalizing breeds here
I probably am but over the years I have noticed breed similarities and guess what that's what registries try to accomplish. They breed for specific qualities and specific reasons so it's not just my imagination.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaS6 View Post
To ASSume that all AQHAs are "a piece of cake" would just be ignorant on your part.
Thanks. However, that has been my experience and I have worked with a lot of horses over the past 40 years; however, I do find any horse that has been abused more difficult than other horses regardless of breed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubyaS6 View Post
We have several top quality show horses (including both AQHAs and Warmbloods) at the barn I board at and some of the Warmbloods make the AQHAs look like basketcases.
Well there's your problem at boarding farms you get to see all sorts of incompetents handling horses. I know loads of people who are sooo careful around the big warmbloods and mistreat the smaller AQHAs so they turn into nervous wrecks.
TheLovedOne is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #112 of 193 Old 03-29-2011, 05:28 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 605
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrhareiner View Post
Would love to see some of yours. Love WB. My favorite has been a TB Trakaner cross that my vet owned that was in for breeding. She was a big thing and so sweet. One of her daughters not so much but the last one out of that mare very very nice. Would steel her however the owner (my vet) would find her at some point.
It is so nice to hear someone say something favorable about a Trakehner. They have a bad reputation here in BC but I know that in Germany they are considered to be the best WB. I started my neighbors Trakehner across the street years ago and he was so sweet - a little hot but not that bad and he had not been messed up like so many others.

OK I haven't got any good digital photos of the WB .... but I will try to get some but I did find this one of my Poco with her last foal a few years ago. I had the good fortune to ride that pally when he was two for his second ride around the park. What a sweetheart ... I should have just rode him home
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SKIPPER.jpg (66.4 KB, 97 views)
TheLovedOne is offline  
post #113 of 193 Old 03-29-2011, 05:32 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 744
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLovedOne View Post
I probably am but over the years I have noticed breed similarities and guess what that's what registries try to accomplish. They breed for specific qualities and specific reasons so it's not just my imagination.




Thanks. However, that has been my experience and I have worked with a lot of horses over the past 40 years; however, I do find any horse that has been abused more difficult than other horses regardless of breed.



Well there's your problem at boarding farms you get to see all sorts of incompetents handling horses. I know loads of people who are sooo careful around the big warmbloods and mistreat the smaller AQHAs so they turn into nervous wrecks.
Well its painfully obvious to me now that you are the trainer of all trainers.

I am sorry for having my own opinion in your thread.
DubyaS6 is offline  
post #114 of 193 Old 03-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 605
• Horses: 0
Now don't be silly DubyaS6. I just love teaching horses, being with horses and I also like some humans.

Last edited by TheLovedOne; 03-29-2011 at 05:37 PM.
TheLovedOne is offline  
post #115 of 193 Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 1,779
• Horses: 4
Quote:
What I find more complicated is horses that appear slow (or lazy as you call them) and then they are extremely reactive.
You've just smacked the nail on the head if you wanted to describe Mitchell... Want to come over to nz and gimme a hand ?

But back to the tied up business.... What if, instead of forcing the difficult horse to be tied for a long period of time to teach him/her a lesson... I know that some people "desensitise"(sp?) horses to floats by working them by it, and letting them learn that when they are by it, it means they can rest, so they think it's good.

so what if you were to work the difficult horse, and let it realise that being tied up means rest, by only letting it rest properly when it is tied up?


-Just a thought :) if it even made sense

R.I.P ~ Bubbles - 25yo tb mare - 13.04.2011 ~ 8:30am ~ passed away naturally and peacefully in my arms
HollyBubbles is offline  
post #116 of 193 Old 03-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Showing
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Greenville area / SC
Posts: 13,165
• Horses: 3
Clinton Anderson does a training exercise using the tie ring and a 20' lead rope specifically for horses that don't tie well.

I'm not arguing with you, I'm just explaining why I'm right.

Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.


It's not always what you say but what they hear.
iridehorses is offline  
post #117 of 193 Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM
Foal
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 226
• Horses: 1
from what I've seen the tie ring works well. I have one,but have never(yet) had the opportunity to use it.
jwells84 is offline  
post #118 of 193 Old 03-30-2011, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 326
• Horses: 3
@HollyBubbles - That is exactly what I did when teaching my horses to tie. FIRST, I taught yielding to pressure and how to give. Then, when I had them tied and was grooming or working on feet and they got antsy, I would untie them and make them move. Circles, backing, yielding the hind end or shoulder. Then I would tie them again and go back to what I was doing. All of mine, now stand quietly whether I am working with them or doing something else around the barn.
RATHER BE RIDING is offline  
post #119 of 193 Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 326
• Horses: 3
Wow, I have to say that I am really surprised at the number of posts regarding this topic. I stand corrected and will concede that it is not cruel if used for the ultimate goal of keeping horse and rider safe. I do not trail ride to the extent of long breaks and did not consider a horse having to stand for long periods of time quietly if you were injured and waiting for help. I did show when I was younger and the horses always stood quietly at the trailer while waiting for our next class. We never taught them to do that, they just did. I guess we were lucky that we always had calm horses.

For those of you who felt it necessary to be a little snide with your response, please note that I said IMO it seemed cruel, but that I was willing to keep an open mind, and I did, and I learned something.
RATHER BE RIDING is offline  
post #120 of 193 Old 03-30-2011, 12:40 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 605
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollyBubbles View Post
You've just smacked the nail on the head if you wanted to describe Mitchell... Want to come over to nz and gimme a hand ?
so what if you were to work the difficult horse, and let it realise that being tied up means rest, by only letting it rest properly when it is tied up?

-Just a thought :) if it even made sense
Yes that is it exactly. You have to make it a place of comfort and you have teach them to yield to poll pressure so that they think "oh I'm confused but wait if I just come forward and yield to this pressure I will be fine". Now you've got a horse that will tie reliably.

If there was one place in the world I would actually move to, it would be NZ. I would love to come over and give you a hand
TheLovedOne is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Horse dislikes being tied ShinaKonga Horse Training 7 01-05-2011 01:12 AM
teaching a horse to stand while tied hottotrot Horse Training 50 11-17-2010 11:04 PM
horse pulls A LOT while tied. . . payette Horse Training 36 07-29-2010 09:17 PM
horse tied to tree booner Horse Training 24 11-06-2008 03:51 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome