Let him the next Year or So off? - The Horse Forum
 8Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 3,971
• Horses: 1
Let him the next Year or So off?

My horse is 2.5 years old. I started him lightly at 2. I know that is very young, but my farrier suggested I that I start riding him. So I did. Vet said physically he was perfectly able. We've done great since I started him. Well to be honest, all we really do is trail ride. But he is a solid trail horse for me. Hes got a solid walk, and a decent trot. I just cantered him for maybe 6 strides the other day for the first time. But now that it is getting colder, and we wont be able to ride as much, I was thinking why not just give him until he is 3.5, or even til 4 off? I know it would be good for him. As it is, I only ride him once a week if that.

So my question is, obviously this will benefit him in the long run, but how much of the training we have already done will I lose? Or to keep it fresh in his mind do you suggest I ride him once a week, once two weeks, once a month? Any and all help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!
csimkunas6 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 06:41 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Alberta
Posts: 1,018
• Horses: 1
I would say keep going. Unless you are on the heavier side I wouldn't worry to much, just keep things on the down low, like you have been, as he still has some growing to do:)
I normally start mine at 3, but several people start at 2.
just my opinion.
Have fun:)
Spotted is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 06:45 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Ashland, OR
Posts: 8,296
• Horses: 1
I don't see a huge problem with keeping him in work once a week. Ruger was started at two, and even though I gave him a break while I worked with other horses I didn't feel it benefited him. He was so easy when he was first started, but after his break he got to be a real prick. I mean, it's up to the individual horse too. Some colts do just fine with time off. But, buttons get rusty...Often it takes me a couple weeks of being ridden to remind a colt of everys single cue he's ever been given with refinement.

Pssh.I didn't pick up the wrong lead
It's called a counter canter...
...A very advanced maneuver.
SorrelHorse is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 3,384
• Horses: 0
There's no doubt leaving him to grow and mature will only be a benefit to him physically. I'm glad that you're even considering that as alot of people don't.

With regard to how much training he will lose, that depends somewhat on his personality. He's not likely to forget his training (I don't think most horses do) but he may be a little 'rusty' on some things at the start. If you're just riding him once a week now and he's doing fine, I speculate he's probably going to be alright once you get going again. If you decide to leave off riding, when you go to start working with him again treat it as if you're starting right over from scratch. It won't take as long as the first time and it gives him a refresher and helps the both of you get back into the swing of things.
loosie, Wallaby, natisha and 1 others like this.
Chevaux is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 5,785
• Horses: 0
Some outfits in my area who turn out really good horses start them in the fall of their two year old year, then turn them out until late spring. Then they do six weeks of riding and six weeks out until the fall. In the fall, the horses get some miles and turned out until the spring. At that time they are four and get either sold or put in the ranch string where they develop the remaining skills they need as life goes on.
boots is online now  
post #6 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 3,971
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted View Post
I would say keep going. Unless you are on the heavier side I wouldn't worry to much, just keep things on the down low, like you have been, as he still has some growing to do:)
I normally start mine at 3, but several people start at 2.
just my opinion.
Have fun:)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorrelHorse View Post
I don't see a huge problem with keeping him in work once a week. Ruger was started at two, and even though I gave him a break while I worked with other horses I didn't feel it benefited him. He was so easy when he was first started, but after his break he got to be a real prick. I mean, it's up to the individual horse too. Some colts do just fine with time off. But, buttons get rusty...Often it takes me a couple weeks of being ridden to remind a colt of everys single cue he's ever been given with refinement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevaux View Post
There's no doubt leaving him to grow and mature will only be a benefit to him physically. I'm glad that you're even considering that as alot of people don't.

With regard to how much training he will lose, that depends somewhat on his personality. He's not likely to forget his training (I don't think most horses do) but he may be a little 'rusty' on some things at the start. If you're just riding him once a week now and he's doing fine, I speculate he's probably going to be alright once you get going again. If you decide to leave off riding, when you go to start working with him again treat it as if you're starting right over from scratch. It won't take as long as the first time and it gives him a refresher and helps the both of you get back into the swing of things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Some outfits in my area who turn out really good horses start them in the fall of their two year old year, then turn them out until late spring. Then they do six weeks of riding and six weeks out until the fall. In the fall, the horses get some miles and turned out until the spring. At that time they are four and get either sold or put in the ranch string where they develop the remaining skills they need as life goes on.

Thanks for all the posts! They get me thinking for sure! For starters, Im weigh about 175 or so. Not terribly heavy, but no means light. To address his personality, he gets awful if I dont go out and do anything, I mean bad. Wont come up to you, will try to rush you for food, just impatient....but he gets an attitude if you dont at least do something with him, brush him, get him out, lunge him, ride him, ect, ect. So I think I may just ride him once a week to once every 2 weeks...and then give him some time off in between. Not very consistent though, but considering thats what I have been doing since I started riding, Im sure it will be fine! Thanks again!
csimkunas6 is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 10-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Showing
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Ontario
Posts: 17,193
• Horses: 0
If he is alone he needs your company even if you just walk with him or do nothing with him. This is time well spent.
loosie, Wallaby and dixieray53 like this.
Saddlebag is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 3,971
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag View Post
If he is alone he needs your company even if you just walk with him or do nothing with him. This is time well spent.
Very true!! Good point!
csimkunas6 is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 11:09 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 5,785
• Horses: 0
You might find that you need to ride him more than one day to get a good response to things he has already done or to anything new. Like a few in a row.

Some people don't even start theirs until they are 3,4, or 5.
boots is online now  
post #10 of 12 Old 10-30-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Green Broke
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: West Virginia
Posts: 3,971
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
You might find that you need to ride him more than one day to get a good response to things he has already done or to anything new. Like a few in a row.

Some people don't even start theirs until they are 3,4, or 5.
Honestly, thats what I usually end up doing. I usually ride him one day, and then ride him another, and sometimes another all in a row. Havent ridden him a whole lot since it has gotten colder, and with the hurricane and everything.
csimkunas6 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jet is a year old! Watch him grow over the past year. Peppy Barrel Racing Horse Pictures 8 08-06-2012 02:47 PM
Breeding a mare year after year... CLaPorte432 Horse Breeding 8 04-06-2012 04:10 PM
Critique my riding: last year vs this year mac007 Horse Riding Critique 6 11-18-2011 08:16 PM
I have had Nimir almost a year...the difference a year makes! Piaffe Horse Pictures 14 09-04-2011 05:58 PM
11 year old Appy & 2 year old QH for Sale spence Horses for Sale 2 01-30-2011 08:49 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome