Loping?
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Loping?

This is a discussion on Loping? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree3Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        10-06-2013, 07:03 PM
      #1
    Started
    Loping?

    I have a Quarter horse, and he can jog, trot, and canter, but how do I train him to lope?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        10-06-2013, 07:07 PM
      #2
    Trained
    Loping is the western term for canter. In western, you don't canter, you lope and in English, you don't lope, you canter.
         
        10-06-2013, 07:18 PM
      #3
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waresbear    
    Loping is the western term for canter. In western, you don't canter, you lope and in English, you don't lope, you canter.
    I understand this, but how do you get that slow, collected, 'WP lope?'
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        10-06-2013, 07:24 PM
      #4
    Started
    Good genetics, haha.

    Collect the body, slow the stride.
    Drive from behind, raise the topline, lift the shoulder.
    The horse's conformation will dictate from there how naturally slow he can go.
    Ian McDonald likes this.
         
        10-06-2013, 07:30 PM
      #5
    Trained
    ^^^^There ya go! To learn to do all that properly takes practise and good instruction from the ground, we can tell you in general what it takes. If you are new to this way of going with your horse, you going to need hands on help, way too much to learn in varying degrees with just written instructions.
         
        10-06-2013, 07:33 PM
      #6
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oh vair oh    
    Good genetics, haha.

    Collect the body, slow the stride.
    Drive from behind, raise the topline, lift the shoulder.
    The horse's conformation will dictate from there how naturally slow he can go.
    True. Though the caveat would be that the horse is already well-trained right?
    oh vair oh likes this.
         
        10-06-2013, 07:33 PM
      #7
    Started
    He's WP bred, so I think he'd be able to do it. And he's already a nice hunt seat horse.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        10-06-2013, 07:36 PM
      #8
    Yearling
    To get that slow, easy lope, first the horse has to feel like going slower, and then the rider has to ride slower. Actually when it comes to those two things, sometimes one happens before the other or vice versa lol. Can you lope a straight line or a circle with the reins slack and not have the horse surge forward, or does he speed up when the reins are loosened?
         
        10-06-2013, 07:46 PM
      #9
    Foal
    There's a whole bunch of things that go into loping - most of all is relaxation and impulsion. Loping slow doesn't mean cantering lazy.

    So, like Ian asked - is your horse comfortable "loping/cantering" at his natural pace at a consistent, "self carried" (ie on a loose rein) manner? If not, that's your first hurdle.

    Generally, a lope isn't actually shortening a horse stride all that much (maybe slightly, but you don't want a choppy, short gait) - it's getting them to slow their legs down but still have the reach with their stride.
         
        10-06-2013, 07:53 PM
      #10
    Started
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ian McDonald    
    To get that slow, easy lope, first the horse has to feel like going slower, and then the rider has to ride slower. Actually when it comes to those two things, sometimes one happens before the other or vice versa lol. Can you lope a straight line or a circle with the reins slack and not have the horse surge forward, or does he speed up when the reins are loosened?
    I can canter him with a slack rein, neck reining, and he does fine.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Ian McDonald likes this.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    loping? jewelerin74 Horse Riding 44 10-07-2013 02:43 PM
    Loping PaintGirl7 Western Riding 20 03-25-2013 05:14 PM
    Help with loping circles ThePaintGirl Horse Training 11 10-03-2012 11:07 PM
    Loping. where should i start out? hc23881 Horse Training 3 05-06-2012 08:00 PM
    help with loping Tasia Western Riding 29 12-30-2009 12:06 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:28 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0