lunging question - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

lunging question

This is a discussion on lunging question within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree9Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        01-20-2013, 02:03 AM
      #11
    Green Broke
    Glad we could help. With practice, both of you will only get better at it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        01-20-2013, 03:19 AM
      #12
    Yearling
    Thanks :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-20-2013, 05:09 PM
      #13
    Green Broke
    To me, if pen is only 30 feet that is too small.

    Why can't you just take her out under saddle and ride her to get her in shape?
         
        01-20-2013, 09:16 PM
      #14
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Palomine    
    To me, if pen is only 30 feet that is too small.

    Why can't you just take her out under saddle and ride her to get her in shape?
    Because she is unbalanced and adding a rider makes it harder to balance. Once she is better balanced that's the plan but right now saddle work is only at a walk. She has also only been under saddle for 3 months now so basically it isn't safe to work her under saddle at the trot. I ride her at a walk all the time but it isn't changing much and she needs to learn to collect herself and balance herself before we trot.

    I attempted to lunge her today and was very unsuccessful :( she kept turning to face me, making it hard to get around to her side. She just kept looking at me like I was stupid. When I did get to her side she wouldnt send out and kept pivoting instead, trying to face me. My trainer wasn't there so I don't know what I was doing wrong. I'm going to ask her to cone out Tuesday and watch me to see if its me or my horse and how I can fix our problem of her trying to face me.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-20-2013, 09:21 PM
      #15
    Started
    I'll tell you right now that was all you. She was confused and you weren't firm enough with your signals to send her out. I'd have your trainer teach you how.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-20-2013, 09:28 PM
      #16
    Green Broke
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by countrylove    
    I attempted to lunge her today and was very unsuccessful :( she kept turning to face me, making it hard to get around to her side. She just kept looking at me like I was stupid. When I did get to her side she wouldnt send out and kept pivoting instead, trying to face me. My trainer wasn't there so I don't know what I was doing wrong. I'm going to ask her to cone out Tuesday and watch me to see if its me or my horse and how I can fix our problem of her trying to face me.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    From my previous post:

    "Many times, the sending away is the hardest part that people have. If she just stands there facing you, swing your rope or stick towards her head and then walk towards her. If she doesn't move by the time you get close enough to hit her, don't feel bad about doing it. You've given her enough warning to move away. It may take a few tries but she will get it."

    This is what you need to do. Go directly towards her. Do NOT try to go around her to get her to go forward. You end up lunging yourself. When she turns away, she will expose her side for you to get her to go forward.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-20-2013, 09:37 PM
      #17
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usandpets    
    From my previous post:

    "Many times, the sending away is the hardest part that people have. If she just stands there facing you, swing your rope or stick towards her head and then walk towards her. If she doesn't move by the time you get close enough to hit her, don't feel bad about doing it. You've given her enough warning to move away. It may take a few tries but she will get it."

    This is what you need to do. Go directly towards her. Do NOT try to go around her to get her to go forward. You end up lunging yourself.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    Ah OK... I was lunging myself LoL I'm sure it was quite comical to anyone driving by. I also didn't try very long since it was just inexperienced lil ol me out there. I don't know why I didn't think of that but I also wasn't trying very hard, just messing around and experimenting with it. I'm so use to the round pen and horses who know the drill. I knew it had to be me messing things up and it didn't help that she was in one of her moods. I will be trying again Tuesday with my trainer there. And I will be trying usandpets suggestion. Thanks again :)
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-20-2013, 10:03 PM
      #18
    Started
    Agreed 100% with usandpets
         
        01-20-2013, 10:46 PM
      #19
    Green Broke
    Just remember this saying, "The one that moves their feet (away) first loses." Even though you move first, you are moving toward (directly), you are not losing. If you move around her, that is the same as moving away in which you are the loser.

    If you can watch a herd of horses, pay attention how they move each other. They don't go around to get the other to move away. They go right at the other. If you know which horse is the lead horse, watch what they do. First is the "look". Second is ear pinning and tail swishing. Finally, if it comes to it is the chase and bite or kick.

    Now lets put that into your lunging. First the look, pointing with your arm.Second, pinning ears, swinging the rope or stick. Finally, the chase and bite or kick, walking towards while swinging rope/stick. The bite or kick is if you get close enough to make contact. The horse does understand this. It is just not used to a human doing it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        01-20-2013, 11:43 PM
      #20
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by usandpets    
    Just remember this saying, "The one that moves their feet (away) first loses." Even though you move first, you are moving toward (directly), you are not losing. If you move around her, that is the same as moving away in which you are the loser.

    If you can watch a herd of horses, pay attention how they move each other. They don't go around to get the other to move away. They go right at the other. If you know which horse is the lead horse, watch what they do. First is the "look". Second is ear pinning and tail swishing. Finally, if it comes to it is the chase and bite or kick.

    Now lets put that into your lunging. First the look, pointing with your arm.Second, pinning ears, swinging the rope or stick. Finally, the chase and bite or kick, walking towards while swinging rope/stick. The bite or kick is if you get close enough to make contact. The horse does understand this. It is just not used to a human doing it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
    That makes complete sense and I know all about moving the feet, herd dynamics, etc but I didn't connect it with the lunging so thank you for the reminder. It really makes sense now. I didn't realize what I was doing. I never thought about it that way and I'm the one constantly explaining to people that they can not move first or they lost and explaining herd dynamics and how to earn respect and leadership this way. I feel like a total dork LoL I knew this knowledge but didn't think to apply it like that. Boy do I feel silly LoL

    Thank you so much for putting that into perspective for me

    Outside eyes (and ears) are so helpful!

    Thanks again. The light bulb really went off once I connected the dots.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Help! Question about Lunging . I LOVE PAINTS 101 Horse Training 1 04-04-2012 10:12 PM
    Question about Lunging/Free Lunging RidingTowardsGrace Horse Training 5 12-28-2010 10:58 PM
    lunging question nate1 Horse Training 10 10-27-2010 01:34 AM
    Free Lunging Question GeminiJumper Horse Training 7 10-14-2010 08:30 AM
    Lunging Question! dreamrideredc Horse Training 2 11-20-2009 08:56 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:51 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0