Major Canter problems (video)
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Major Canter problems (video)

This is a discussion on Major Canter problems (video) within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Stifle problems with the counter canter
  • Having a problim cantering

Like Tree24Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    04-08-2012, 01:33 PM
  #1
Weanling
Question Major Canter problems (video)

Hi everyone,
I have posted a few threats on my horse cross firing in the canter, well, I now I have a video and that may give a better idea of what he does.

He is almost 18 years old, but he has been doing this ever since I got him in 2010.

I have had:
-the vet look at him (she says he is fine)
-farrier work
-had a saddle fitter come out

So I know it is not a pain issue at all. I put side reins on him,(in the video) they were on the tightest ring but he still put his head up. I don't know what to do with him really, if I slow him down into a slow canter he will do it more, if I speed him up then he will do it less but he practically is in a gallop.

Any advice would be great on how to solve this problem. Thanks!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    04-08-2012, 01:38 PM
  #2
Weanling
Ha, here is the video:As you can see he is always switching his legs in the back.
     
    04-08-2012, 02:37 PM
  #3
Foal
To help your horse improve his canter, you will need to go back to basics to improve his frame - how he carries himself. In your video, he is in an inverted frame in all 3 gaits. That means his head and neck are up and his back is dropped. In this frame, he cannot bring his hindquarters well underneath himself.



He is also counter bent meaning his body is bent to the left when he is going to the right (and vice versa). As a result, he is unbalanced and falling in to the circle.

To perform at his best, the horse needs to work with his back at least level. This frame allows the horse to create impulsion by engaging his hindquarters as they reach well underneath his body. His hindquarters are driving his forward movement. His head and neck can then work as the balancing mechanism they are built to be. The further the hind legs reach under the body, the more the back naturally lifts. The horse can move with elegance and ease through all transitions and in all gaits even when carrying a rider.

You need to go back to basics with your horse and get him working in a long and low frame first. This will lengthen his tight back and neck muscles and start to strengthen his weak hindquarters. As his suppleness and muscle strength improve, the next stage is to bring him into a level frame.

Going back to basics means that you begin at the walk and development good walk/halt/walk transitions and changes of direction without any inverting (high headed frame). When those are consistent, move on to walk/trot transitions - again focusing on keeping your horse in a level or low frame. Only when you have developed consistency and your horse has built up the strength in his hindquarters and back muscles do you begin work on the canter. This takes time and it will help you if you can work with an experienced coach/trainer. Find one who does not use gadgets to "fix" problems. Your riding and knowledge will also improve.

Take a look at my blog for more information on how your horse's shape affects the quality of his performance.
     
    04-08-2012, 02:53 PM
  #4
Weanling
Hm, looks physical to me. Did the vet study him while he was cantering?
     
    04-08-2012, 02:57 PM
  #5
Weanling
Thank you! That helps alot! I ask him to get his head down while riding but he likes to put it back up. So you are not a fan of tie downs or martingales?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneGage    
To help your horse improve his canter, you will need to go back to basics to improve his frame - how he carries himself. In your video, he is in an inverted frame in all 3 gaits. That means his head and neck are up and his back is dropped. In this frame, he cannot bring his hindquarters well underneath himself.



He is also counter bent meaning his body is bent to the left when he is going to the right (and vice versa). As a result, he is unbalanced and falling in to the circle.

To perform at his best, the horse needs to work with his back at least level. This frame allows the horse to create impulsion by engaging his hindquarters as they reach well underneath his body. His hindquarters are driving his forward movement. His head and neck can then work as the balancing mechanism they are built to be. The further the hind legs reach under the body, the more the back naturally lifts. The horse can move with elegance and ease through all transitions and in all gaits even when carrying a rider.

You need to go back to basics with your horse and get him working in a long and low frame first. This will lengthen his tight back and neck muscles and start to strengthen his weak hindquarters. As his suppleness and muscle strength improve, the next stage is to bring him into a level frame.

Going back to basics means that you begin at the walk and development good walk/halt/walk transitions and changes of direction without any inverting (high headed frame). When those are consistent, move on to walk/trot transitions - again focusing on keeping your horse in a level or low frame. Only when you have developed consistency and your horse has built up the strength in his hindquarters and back muscles do you begin work on the canter. This takes time and it will help you if you can work with an experienced coach/trainer. Find one who does not use gadgets to "fix" problems. Your riding and knowledge will also improve.

Take a look at my blog for more information on how your horse's shape affects the quality of his performance.
     
    04-08-2012, 02:58 PM
  #6
Weanling
Not while cantering no, but I asked her. She said she thought is was a muscle issue and that he is middle aged.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beling    
Hm, looks physical to me. Did the vet study him while he was cantering?
     
    04-08-2012, 03:04 PM
  #7
Trained
Have you tried a chiropractor? Might think about it.
     
    04-08-2012, 03:07 PM
  #8
Weanling
The vet said he did not have back problems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans    
Have you tried a chiropractor? Might think about it.
     
    04-08-2012, 03:36 PM
  #9
Weanling
Actually, I was thinking hip or stifle problems. I think he has lovely gaits otherwise, but it seems as if he's uncomfortable.
     
    04-08-2012, 03:43 PM
  #10
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty 94    
The vet said he did not have back problems.
He may not have back problems. Although he moves much like my Rascal did when I first got him. Pelvic injury was our culprit. He is physically unable to get his legs far enough under him to achieve proper balance and collection. The injury doesn't allow the pelvic tilt and elongation of the spine for a proper frame. He carries his head high because he is struggling for balance. The misfires that I see are like Rascals in a lot of ways.

Rascal couldn't get his back end to keep pace with the front. We still have days where he has this problem at a canter. Even at a walk before we got some of his muscles built up. He had NO muscle and is still under muscled in his topline. He will most likely always be this way.... Time, therapy, chiro, diet, and loads of exercise have helped a LOT. But this will always be an issue for him.


ETA: This was also extremely painful at the canter to start with. He kept, for want of a better term, pulling a groin muscle.
tinyliny likes this.
     

Tags
canter problems, gallop, horse training

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
major riding problems :/ brighteyes08 Horse Training 8 12-07-2011 12:44 PM
How to gain a horses trust with a few major problems? megansthehorse Horse Training 6 05-03-2011 10:00 AM
Major Balance Problems Miss Dakota Horse Health 18 07-27-2010 11:38 PM
Some major problems bridling young horse? (Please help??) emilieg Horse Training 27 05-06-2010 05:03 PM
Major farrier problems- can't keep his balance!!! thunderboomer Horse Health 6 11-11-2008 01:47 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0