Major Canter problems (video) - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

 24Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 03:47 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
Sorry, but when it comes to stuff like this-I will call my chiro no matter what the vet says. Sure can't hurt at this point.
Rascaholic likes this.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: US
Posts: 681
• Horses: 1
Thank you! I think I will have the vet look at it one more time :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beling View Post
Actually, I was thinking hip or stifle problems. I think he has lovely gaits otherwise, but it seems as if he's uncomfortable.


Black Beauty 94 is offline  
post #13 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 03:52 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,235
• Horses: 2
My 18 yr old Fox Trotter does the same thing. I don't know if cantering is naturally hard for gaited horses or if it is just that everyone focuses on their intermediate gaits and never really rides the canter. Probably both!

So I feel for ya!

I have been working on not letting my mare go hollow at faster gaits but it's hard because it seems to be her modus operandi. I have had my best luck cantering her up slight inclines because it shifts her weight back to her hindquarters.

Cantering her (which I do just for fun out on the trails) is kind of an interesting experience. She is either pacing, cantering, half of both, or sometimes I will get a lovely canter until I feel this big jarring motion on her back end, which feels like a car shifting into gears very roughly, which I'm sure is her cross cantering like your horse. So long as we don't go down and I get some canter strides that is a successful canter for her, lol!

I know my horse is traveling hollow at faster gaits because pacing is also a sign of hollowness. But holding her together is easier said than done.

At a walk she will actually collect a bit, but the faster we go, the hollower she travels.

Anyway, from what I understand this is a common thing for gaited horses. I don't think it necessarily means he is in pain somewhere. More like he doesn't know how to use his body at speed. Just my 2 cents anyway.
trailhorserider is offline  
post #14 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 03:56 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: left of center
Posts: 7,083
• Horses: 2
Does he do this under saddle also? I guess I missed that if you said. Just a suggestion-if you are going to have the vet look again-why not try another set of eyes? At least another vet if you won't try a chiro.

Signature undergoing edits. Please standby.......
franknbeans is offline  
post #15 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: US
Posts: 681
• Horses: 1
Talking

Yes, he is a TWH :) Thanks for that info! I think I am going to first work on getting his head low and consisitant in the trot, (he basically has it in the walk) and then work on the canter. When he lowers his head in the trot I feel he is moving better so I think that will apply for the canter.

I will go back to the start and work on those things!

Thanks so much :) Keep bringing ideas everyone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailhorserider View Post
My 18 yr old Fox Trotter does the same thing. I don't know if cantering is naturally hard for gaited horses or if it is just that everyone focuses on their intermediate gaits and never really rides the canter. Probably both!

So I feel for ya!

I have been working on not letting my mare go hollow at faster gaits but it's hard because it seems to be her modus operandi. I have had my best luck cantering her up slight inclines because it shifts her weight back to her hindquarters.

Cantering her (which I do just for fun out on the trails) is kind of an interesting experience. She is either pacing, cantering, half of both, or sometimes I will get a lovely canter until I feel this big jarring motion on her back end, which feels like a car shifting into gears very roughly, which I'm sure is her cross cantering like your horse. So long as we don't go down and I get some canter strides that is a successful canter for her, lol!

I know my horse is traveling hollow at faster gaits because pacing is also a sign of hollowness. But holding her together is easier said than done.

At a walk she will actually collect a bit, but the faster we go, the hollower she travels.

Anyway, from what I understand this is a common thing for gaited horses. I don't think it necessarily means he is in pain somewhere. More like he doesn't know how to use his body at speed. Just my 2 cents anyway.


Black Beauty 94 is offline  
post #16 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: US
Posts: 681
• Horses: 1
Red face

Thanks for the info. He has never had an injury, I have looked at the vet records and talked to the previous owners. I think I will have to work on the frame (head) and slowly work that into the canter in time. Patience really is a virtue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaholic View Post
He may not have back problems. Although he moves much like my Rascal did when I first got him. Pelvic injury was our culprit. He is physically unable to get his legs far enough under him to achieve proper balance and collection. The injury doesn't allow the pelvic tilt and elongation of the spine for a proper frame. He carries his head high because he is struggling for balance. The misfires that I see are like Rascals in a lot of ways.

Rascal couldn't get his back end to keep pace with the front. We still have days where he has this problem at a canter. Even at a walk before we got some of his muscles built up. He had NO muscle and is still under muscled in his topline. He will most likely always be this way.... Time, therapy, chiro, diet, and loads of exercise have helped a LOT. But this will always be an issue for him.


ETA: This was also extremely painful at the canter to start with. He kept, for want of a better term, pulling a groin muscle.


Black Beauty 94 is offline  
post #17 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: US
Posts: 681
• Horses: 1
Thanks everyone! Keep the ideas coming :)


Black Beauty 94 is offline  
post #18 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: US
Posts: 681
• Horses: 1
Yes, he does. I think I will do that. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by franknbeans View Post
Does he do this under saddle also? I guess I missed that if you said. Just a suggestion-if you are going to have the vet look again-why not try another set of eyes? At least another vet if you won't try a chiro.


Black Beauty 94 is offline  
post #19 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 04:37 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Ga
Posts: 1,304
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty 94 View Post
Thanks for the info. He has never had an injury, I have looked at the vet records and talked to the previous owners. I think I will have to work on the frame (head) and slowly work that into the canter in time. Patience really is a virtue
My guy is also a TWH. Honestly I keep looking at the video and I see a horse in pain. He just moves stiff,odd,gimpy,weird. I could be wrong. It's just my opinion.

Seriously though, when I see that type of back end movement I think pain, pain, and more pain. It's the only time I have ever seen that type of hitchy skipping steps and I have seen it more than I like to think about.

"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Larry the Cable Guy
Rascaholic is offline  
post #20 of 72 Old 04-08-2012, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Weanling
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: US
Posts: 681
• Horses: 1
He isn't in pain. I have had more than one vet look and other people. I think it is a balance issue and that he needs more back end muscle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaholic View Post
My guy is also a TWH. Honestly I keep looking at the video and I see a horse in pain. He just moves stiff,odd,gimpy,weird. I could be wrong. It's just my opinion.

Seriously though, when I see that type of back end movement I think pain, pain, and more pain. It's the only time I have ever seen that type of hitchy skipping steps and I have seen it more than I like to think about.


Black Beauty 94 is offline  
Reply

Tags
canter problems , gallop , horse training

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
major riding problems :/ brighteyes08 Horse Training 8 12-07-2011 12:44 PM
How to gain a horses trust with a few major problems? megansthehorse Horse Training 6 05-03-2011 10:00 AM
Major Balance Problems Miss Dakota Horse Health 18 07-27-2010 11:38 PM
Some major problems bridling young horse? (Please help??) emilieg Horse Training 27 05-06-2010 05:03 PM
Major farrier problems- can't keep his balance!!! thunderboomer Horse Health 6 11-11-2008 01:47 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome