Making excuses. - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Making excuses.

This is a discussion on Making excuses. within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • When people make excuses for their kids

Like Tree58Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-23-2012, 12:03 PM
  #21
Weanling
Kevinshorses, I know they are never just really jerks! I should have never used that to describe what I was trying to say! Like I said, I am terrible with my words! I really need to learn to choose my words more appropriately!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-23-2012, 12:04 PM
  #22
Yearling
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
Most people don't have the bond they think they have with thier horses. Thier horses are spoiled and walk all over them and inexperienced people take that for affection and allow it.
This is also great. Back to me mentioning Harley - He would follow me, yes, but he would also run me over. I didn't know better at the time, I just thought it was his lovings. Ha! I laugh at myself :p I've actually found that I have a better bond with my horses from really getting after them. Cowboy was trying to pull me all over the place on the lunge - he was trained on the track, and they just put up with it. So I yanked his head around a bit and smacked him a time or two, and by goodness he listened. After that little training session he was following me around, stopping with his nose at my shoulder when I stopped. I think one of the big problems people have with horses is they think if they beat thier pony, they will hate them forever. So. Not. True. Love comes from Trust - Trust comes from Respect - Respect comes from being kind when you can, and disiplinary when you need to.
     
    03-23-2012, 12:05 PM
  #23
Trained
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsesAreMyPassion    
Kevinshorses, I know they are never just really jerks! I should have never used that to describe what I was trying to say! Like I said, I am terrible with my words! I really need to learn to choose my words more appropriately!
You may not mean that but I've heard many other people voice the same opinion.
     
    03-23-2012, 12:07 PM
  #24
Showing
This is coming from a woman. Most horse issues come from women, yes, women, who want the horse to love them. My question is Why. What is missing in your life that you need a thousand pound animal to love you. Get a poodle. If I arrive to help with bad behaviour, I don't want to hear "Don't hit Precious". I will walk, because that horse may try to go over top of me and what is my defense. I am in complete agreement with Foxhunter.
     
    03-23-2012, 02:41 PM
  #25
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
This is coming from a woman. Most horse issues come from women, yes, women, who want the horse to love them. My question is Why. What is missing in your life that you need a thousand pound animal to love you. Get a poodle. If I arrive to help with bad behaviour, I don't want to hear "Don't hit Precious". I will walk, because that horse may try to go over top of me and what is my defense. I am in complete agreement with Foxhunter.
Very true, I have been on the wrong end of this before because I tried to go along with their wishes but never again.

I would also like to add one that bugs me. When a horse is sensitive and people try to make excuses for it. For example the horse is headshy or ear shy and someone says that horse must have been hit over the head or someone must have tried to tear its ear off. Maybe its just a horse who doesn't necessarily like its head touched, but who cares it's a problem and needs fixed.
kevinshorses likes this.
     
    03-23-2012, 04:33 PM
  #26
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxhunter    
Why is it that so many people think that when a horse misbehaves there is a physical reason for doing so?
Yes, for me the FIRST thing when horse misbehaves would be to check for the physical issues: teeth, saddle fit, bit fit, back problems, allergies, and so on. Often the problem (bucking, head tossing, ...) can be addressed just by using a different saddle or floating teeth.
themacpack likes this.
     
    03-23-2012, 04:40 PM
  #27
Showing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saddlebag    
Most horse issues come from women, yes, women, who want the horse to love them. My question is Why. What is missing in your life that you need a thousand pound animal to love you.
Yes, I want my horses to love me. And by "love" I mean respect, complete trust, and that they clearly happy to see me and just be in my presence. If I'd be in horse business dealing with lots of horses I'm sure my opinion would be different. But I have my (just 2) horses for my joy, not to make money on them or just "to be cool". And you can have "love" and still have well-behaved animals, and be able to discipline them when needed.
     
    03-23-2012, 06:03 PM
  #28
Banned
A lot of these people are probably the ones who make excuses for their children. Their kid screams and cries in a store and the parent just takes it as if they don't give their child the toy, the kid's going to hate them.

I think treating anyone - children, horses, dogs, etc - with respect and expecting the same from them is love. Love isn't trying to give someone everything they want, love is treating them how they need to be treated and expecting them to do the same with you.
SkyeDawn and Foxhunter like this.
     
    03-23-2012, 06:07 PM
  #29
Super Moderator
Interesting isn't it that not one person who believes smacking a horse is detrimental has had a word to say!
franknbeans likes this.
     
    03-23-2012, 07:54 PM
  #30
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
In all my years with horses I have seen maybe three horses that were misbehaving solely because of physical issues. In 90% of cases a chiropractor and a dentist and a saddle fitter (I've never even met a saddle fitter) are going to help you spend a bunch of money on a horse you still won't be able to ride.

Horses are never "just jerks". They don't work that way. A horse does what it thinks it has to do to be comfortable and survive. They don't bully you because they think they can. They bully you because they want to be comfortable and stay with thier buddies at the barn. Horses don't consider your feelings at all until it effects thier survival or comfort. Most people don't have the bond they think they have with thier horses. Thier horses are spoiled and walk all over them and inexperienced people take that for affection and allow it. Then they wonder why "all of a sudden" fluffy doesn't respect them any more.
I disagree, I think they can be jerks. Not to bully you because they feel like it, but because they aren't feeling themselves today or want to try to push you for dominance. That is what I meant between being a jerk. You need to be able to tell the difference between your horse feeling unwell and testing you just because they don't want to do something.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Making hay Joshie Farm Equipment 5 09-28-2012 10:36 AM
Ugh, this is making me mad. Ladybug2001 Horse Breeding 8 06-23-2011 04:54 PM
Excuses, Excuses... Seahorseys Horse Training 25 12-13-2009 04:46 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0