mounting
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

mounting

This is a discussion on mounting within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree5Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        09-12-2011, 09:34 PM
      #1
    Foal
    mounting

    I got a 10 year old gelding. When I try to get on his back to ride him he starts walking....what is a good way to break him from that..I am brand new to this forum and its been 20 years since I have owned a horse...thanks for ur help in advance..martin
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        09-12-2011, 09:46 PM
      #2
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prolandsurveyor    
    I got a 10 year old gelding. When I try to get on his back to ride him he starts walking....what is a good way to break him from that..I am brand new to this forum and its been 20 years since I have owned a horse...thanks for ur help in advance..martin
    Posted via Mobile Device

    Welcome to the forum!!

    I usually make the horse circle around me. So if they move, pick up the rein you have in your hand (the left one if you are mounting on the correct side) and make them circle around you until they stop moving. Then attempt a remount, if they keep moving off, keep circling.

    Oh and another silly thing. If I have already put my foot in my stirrup and my horse starts moving, I "hop" with him as I circle him. I keep my foot in my stirrup and hop. Sounds silly, and my horse looks at me like but he eventually stops. The reason is that I don't want him to learn that moving off makes me stop trying to mount. Don't do that unless you are comfortable with it and with your horse in general. I have found it a very valuable thing to do, as they don't win when you do this.
         
        09-12-2011, 09:49 PM
      #3
    Showing
    Welcome to the forum!

    When he takes a step forward, make him back up. Try again, if he walks back him some more. Backing = Work. Eventually he will figure out standing still is a whole lot easier.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-12-2011, 09:50 PM
      #4
    Foal
    Ah ok...I will try that....its starting to get on my nerves.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-12-2011, 09:50 PM
      #5
    Green Broke
    Lakota haha I do the same thing my foot does not move from the stirrup even if my horse tries to move off haha :]
         
        09-12-2011, 09:52 PM
      #6
    Foal
    Its makes my wife nervous when he does that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        09-12-2011, 09:53 PM
      #7
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BarrelracingArabian    
    lakota haha I do the same thing my foot does not move from the stirrup even if my horse tries to move off haha :]
    well good I am glad I am not crazy lol. I always thought it probably looked silly, but it works wonders on my stubborn gelding. He is one of those horses that has a short attention span... haha. So I use this to remind him that I am still there
         
        09-12-2011, 11:15 PM
      #8
    Banned
    Teach him to flex laterally from the ground, if he doesn't already know. Then bend him in to you as you go to mount. He may be able to circle around you, but don't allow him to do so, and he should soon tire of that, anyway.
         
        09-13-2011, 06:11 AM
      #9
    Weanling
    I do the same with my young one - she learnt pretty quick - flexed her head towrds me so the only way she could go was round - she learnt pretty quick it was uncomfy and now stands perfectly still!
         
        09-13-2011, 07:50 AM
      #10
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Lakotababii    
    Welcome to the forum!!

    I usually make the horse circle around me. So if they move, pick up the rein you have in your hand (the left one if you are mounting on the correct side) and make them circle around you until they stop moving. Then attempt a remount, if they keep moving off, keep circling.

    Oh and another silly thing. If I have already put my foot in my stirrup and my horse starts moving, I "hop" with him as I circle him. I keep my foot in my stirrup and hop. Sounds silly, and my horse looks at me like but he eventually stops. The reason is that I don't want him to learn that moving off makes me stop trying to mount. Don't do that unless you are comfortable with it and with your horse in general. I have found it a very valuable thing to do, as they don't win when you do this.
    sound advice
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Help with mounting from mounting block tinyliny Horse Training 1 03-17-2011 02:33 AM
    Trying to lay down while mounting. GiddyUp4Fun Horse Training 7 04-08-2010 06:46 PM
    mounting alexischristina English Riding 8 04-05-2010 01:44 AM
    help mounting up ThatGuyRob Western Riding 17 01-14-2010 07:22 AM
    mounting up KANSAS_TWISTER Horse Training 12 03-23-2007 02:47 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:55 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0