My horse has a snaffle bit but i don't think he likes it...
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

My horse has a snaffle bit but i don't think he likes it...

This is a discussion on My horse has a snaffle bit but i don't think he likes it... within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • I dont think my horse likes the oring snaffle bit
  • Horse doesn't like snaffle bit

Like Tree1Likes

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    03-14-2013, 11:32 AM
  #1
Foal
My horse has a snaffle bit but i don't think he likes it...

Posted via Mobile Device hey I have a three yo standie and I use a snaffle bit but im not sure he likes it any ideas of a different softer bit too use maybe? Or should I just keep using this snaffle bit ??
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    03-14-2013, 11:37 AM
  #2
Trained
Well, some don't. Although there are about a hundred different snaffles, so it can be hard to tell. My mare doesn't like french link snaffles, is OK with 2 piece snaffles, is OK with a waterford (5 links), but currently seems happiest with a gag bit.

Trooper, OTOH, seems to ride the same no matter what bit we use.

Horses get a vote... I'd recommend borrowing a variety and seeing what gets the best response.
     
    03-14-2013, 11:47 AM
  #3
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsms    
Well, some don't. Although there are about a hundred different snaffles, so it can be hard to tell. My mare doesn't like french link snaffles, is OK with 2 piece snaffles, is OK with a waterford (5 links), but currently seems happiest with a gag bit.

Trooper, OTOH, seems to ride the same no matter what bit we use.

Horses get a vote... I'd recommend borrowing a variety and seeing what gets the best response.

Haha yeh that's very true lol yeh I have a two peice snaffle bit atm do you think an eggbutt bit would work better at all? Oh yeh what is a gag bit is it a gag snaffle bit or just gag bit ?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-14-2013, 11:48 AM
  #4
Trained
My gelding doesn't like a single jointed snaffle either. He does, however, love a French link (double jointed) snaffle. He also goes great in a little S hack, but he listens more to leg cues anyway.

What kind of bit are you in now? Loose ring, D ring, eggbutt? I've found my boy likes an eggbutt over a loose ring.
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-14-2013, 11:51 AM
  #5
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
My gelding doesn't like a single jointed snaffle either. He does, however, love a French link (double jointed) snaffle. He also goes great in a little S hack, but he listens more to leg cues anyway.


Oh yeh what's a s hack bit?
What kind of bit are you in now? Loose ring, D ring, eggbutt? I've found my boy likes an eggbutt over a loose ring.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-14-2013, 11:57 AM
  #6
Teen Forum Moderator
Has this colt been taught to accept and use a bit? If not, that's probably why he doesn't like it. No animal is going to LIKE taking a piece of metal that has no meaning to them into their mouths. What kind of snaffle do you have? There are so many kinds out there. Don't be discouraged just because he doesnt like this particular one.

There are so many kinds of material. Rubber, german silver, copper, nickle, stainless steel, sweet iron, leather... and many diameters as well. Thicker snaffles tend to be less harsh but not always. And some horses just can't stand having something large and wide on their mouths. One of the mares that I ride hated every bit I used, until I realized that the width that was supposed to make things more comfortable actually bothered her. I switched to thinner french link and she started accepting her bit beautifully.

Another factor of snaffles is how many joints. No joints, one, two, or three are the usual numbers though you can find more. The cheekpiece is a factor as well. My soft mouthed mare prefers a double jointed half cheek snaffle made of stainless steel, but will go well in a mullen mouth as well. She hates thicker, single jointed, or O ring bits. Its really just a matter of trial and error.

If you experiment with your boy, I'd first recomment a D ring or full cheek, either mullen mouth or two/three jointed. You might also try rollers or keys on the bit to see if he likes having something to play with. Single jointed bits tend to have a nutcracker action, and I don't like to put young horses in them.
bsms likes this.
     
    03-14-2013, 11:59 AM
  #7
Trained
This is the little S hackamore we use: Little S Hackamore with Adjustable Buckle

Like I said, though, my gelding works mainly off leg cues, so the hack or bit is there more for stopping power (he's green and likes to run through my hands when I ask him to stop, so the hackamore works to reinforce what I'm asking him to do with my seat).
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-14-2013, 12:05 PM
  #8
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum    
My gelding doesn't like a single jointed snaffle either. He does, however, love a French link (double jointed) snaffle. He also goes great in a little S hack, but he listens more to leg cues anyway.

What kind of bit are you in now? Loose ring, D ring, eggbutt? I've found my boy likes an eggbutt over a loose ring.
Posted via Mobile Device
im currently using a two peice snaffle I think.. So you think I should try the eggbutt?
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-14-2013, 12:10 PM
  #9
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
Has this colt been taught to accept and use a bit? If not, that's probably why he doesn't like it. No animal is going to LIKE taking a piece of metal that has no meaning to them into their mouths. What kind of snaffle do you have? There are so many kinds out there. Don't be discouraged just because he doesnt like this particular one.

There are so many kinds of material. Rubber, german silver, copper, nickle, stainless steel, sweet iron, leather... and many diameters as well. Thicker snaffles tend to be less harsh but not always. And some horses just can't stand having something large and wide on their mouths. One of the mares that I ride hated every bit I used, until I realized that the width that was supposed to make things more comfortable actually bothered her. I switched to thinner french link and she started accepting her bit beautifully.

Another factor of snaffles is how many joints. No joints, one, two, or three are the usual numbers though you can find more. The cheekpiece is a factor as well. My soft mouthed mare prefers a double jointed half cheek snaffle made of stainless steel, but will go well in a mullen mouth as well. She hates thicker, single jointed, or O ring bits. Its really just a matter of trial and error.

If you experiment with your boy, I'd first recomment a D ring or full cheek, either mullen mouth or two/three jointed. You might also try rollers or keys on the bit to see if he likes having something to play with. Single jointed bits tend to have a nutcracker action, and I don't like to put young horses in them.
he is a gilding and it either has one or two joints on it... Ok thanks for the tip I think the one I have at the moment is a thin French snaffle.. Thanks for your help :)
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endiku    
Has this colt been taught to accept and use a bit? If not, that's probably why he doesn't like it. No animal is going to LIKE taking a piece of metal that has no meaning to them into their mouths. What kind of snaffle do you have? There are so many kinds out there. Don't be discouraged just because he doesnt like this particular one.

There are so many kinds of material. Rubber, german silver, copper, nickle, stainless steel, sweet iron, leather... and many diameters as well. Thicker snaffles tend to be less harsh but not always. And some horses just can't stand having something large and wide on their mouths. One of the mares that I ride hated every bit I used, until I realized that the width that was supposed to make things more comfortable actually bothered her. I switched to thinner french link and she started accepting her bit beautifully.

Another factor of snaffles is how many joints. No joints, one, two, or three are the usual numbers though you can find more. The cheekpiece is a factor as well. My soft mouthed mare prefers a double jointed half cheek snaffle made of stainless steel, but will go well in a mullen mouth as well. She hates thicker, single jointed, or O ring bits. Its really just a matter of trial and error.

If you experiment with your boy, I'd first recomment a D ring or full cheek, either mullen mouth or two/three jointed. You might also try rollers or keys on the bit to see if he likes having something to play with. Single jointed bits tend to have a nutcracker action, and I don't like to put young horses in them.
he is a gilding and it either has one or two joints on it... Ok thanks for the tip I think the one I have at the moment is a thin French snaffle.. Thanks for your help :) oh also he used to be a kids leadline horse and his old owner used to ride him a fair bit so he is used to having a bit in his mouth.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Celebrity Horse Look-A-Likes hotreddun Horse Pictures 5 03-04-2013 03:03 PM
Do you have a horse that likes to lick? usandpets Horse Breeds 36 05-22-2011 01:49 PM
How Can You Tell if a Horse Likes a Bit or Not? AngelWithoutWings54 Horse Tack and Equipment 14 06-24-2010 06:05 PM
How do you know horse likes what it does? kitten_Val Horse Training 35 06-04-2010 11:14 PM
Horse only likes me?? TheRoughrider21 Horse Training 11 04-26-2010 04:27 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0