My horse will not move forward - Page 2
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

My horse will not move forward

This is a discussion on My horse will not move forward within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Where can i get a quirt for my horse
  • She uses a riding quirt

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-15-2010, 07:19 PM
  #11
Foal
Xhex428's my sis, so I know what's up with little Xhex. :) I rode her once with spurs. She was a little easier to get to move forward with them, but her attitude was a bit pissy-er. Eventually she did stop and refuse to move forward, and I gave her a pretty solid poke with the spurs (I didn't wail into her with them, just gave a good nudge. My legs did not leave her sides) She pinned her ears and walked forward a few steps and stopped again. I went back to just useing the crop on that ride, as I didn't want to get into a pissing match with her using the spurs.

She moves forward just fine out on the trails, it's just in the arena she doesn't want to do any work. No matter if it's in the indoor or outdoor. Hope this clarifies this a little better
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-15-2010, 07:28 PM
  #12
Super Moderator
If you pop her, make it memorable. You need to startle her a bit. So, make it a big pop, that both stings and makes a lot of noise.
I would work in the round pen and get her forward and let her coast, then when SHE slows down, be on her like white on rice. You have to do something big enough to get a real change, and that might mean a mental change too.
     
    11-15-2010, 07:31 PM
  #13
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinyliny    
If you pop her, make it memorable. You need to startle her a bit. So, make it a big pop, that both stings and makes a lot of noise.
I would work in the round pen and get her forward and let her coast, then when SHE slows down, be on her like white on rice. You have to do something big enough to get a real change, and that might mean a mental change too.
I plan on working her in the roundpen this week. I am able to go out an extra day this week so we are definitely going in the roundpen.
I popped her a good one the other day that actually startled my sisters a horse a bit. Our arena makes a wonderful echoing WHACK! Sound.
     
    11-15-2010, 07:43 PM
  #14
Foal
We're not just lightly popping her. She's feeling it. The crop I gave my sister doesn't have the wide, flat popper on it. It's thinner, I guess you'd call it a whip. When you really get after her and pop her with it she will (not all the time, but like 90% of the time) squeal and kick out. She's such a mare! :) I have no patience for horses like this so I won't ride her too often. I'd probably end up beating the spots off her. Lol (just joking) But Xhex428 is no pushover and spends the entire ride getting after Xhex. You can hear the crop crack Xhex when Xhex428 crack her.
     
    11-15-2010, 07:46 PM
  #15
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thia    
We're not just lightly popping her. She's feeling it. The crop I gave my sister doesn't have the wide, flat popper on it. It's thinner, I guess you'd call it a whip. When you really get after her and pop her with it she will (not all the time, but like 90% of the time) squeal and kick out. She's such a mare! :) I have no patience for horses like this so I won't ride her too often. I'd probably end up beating the spots off her. Lol (just joking) But Xhex428 is no pushover and spends the entire ride getting after Xhex. You can hear the crop crack Xhex when Xhex428 crack her.
Thank you my sis for clarifying on that.
     
    11-15-2010, 11:09 PM
  #16
Weanling
Is the mare in question the one in your avatar, Xhex? What a gorgeous mare!
     
    11-15-2010, 11:19 PM
  #17
Yearling
My trainer alway told me to use the crop behind my leg, never anywhere in front of the girth as that would prevent forward movement. Also, in a clinic for gaited horses, Larry Whitesell said to use a leg aid just in front of the horse's rear leg as it was coming off the ground. That encourages them to step up under themselves for a more forward moving walk. Good luck - you'll have to be consistent in your use of the "demand" or you'll never completely earn her respect.
     
    11-16-2010, 10:03 AM
  #18
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snookeys    
Is the mare in question the one in your avatar, Xhex? What a gorgeous mare!
Thank you! Yes that is my stubborn mare.
     
    11-16-2010, 10:04 AM
  #19
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladytrails    
My trainer alway told me to use the crop behind my leg, never anywhere in front of the girth as that would prevent forward movement. Also, in a clinic for gaited horses, Larry Whitesell said to use a leg aid just in front of the horse's rear leg as it was coming off the ground. That encourages them to step up under themselves for a more forward moving walk. Good luck - you'll have to be consistent in your use of the "demand" or you'll never completely earn her respect.
I already use the crop behind my leg. Believe me, I have to give her a whack on the butt about 20 times a ride.
     
    11-16-2010, 10:24 AM
  #20
Foal
Key which is the ironic part, is get her feet moving, while your doing ground work, show her your in charge, keep your self straight tall, in a way that says hey im in charge not you!, I have a few horses that are just lazy, on the ground if they don't move there feet make them, I usually take the end of the lunglin and whip it towards there feet, kind of getting low per say, don't hit her with it just swirl it and aim towards it, then step in doing so she will move I promise, she doesnt like something like that, just make her move and move and move, any direction at all, then stop resume your ground work, if she doesnt do what you want, then repeat what I said about moving, horses don't like to move in all directions, after a while she's going to go OK I like what we were doing before and she will start listening

As for in the saddle I agree with above, show her the boss, I have a quirt on my saddle horn and ill flick it to remind them it there if they don't listen ill tap them, sometimes it takes more then just love and care to get a horse to listen, some need discpline, and im not saying abuse or anything like that its just a friendly firm reminder that you are in charge not her
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cranky horse: Move forward or back out..Did I do it wrong? travlingypsy Horse Training 5 04-11-2010 08:47 PM
Why Won't He Move Forward? ArticDream Horse Training 6 07-23-2009 11:25 AM
Horse refuses to move forward chewbooeh Horse Training 12 06-29-2009 12:13 PM
Teaching Horse To Move Forward Spastic_Dove Horse Training 2 06-12-2008 08:49 PM
How to move a youngster forward jewlz Horse Training 17 05-25-2008 04:26 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0