My horse will not move forward - Page 3
   

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

My horse will not move forward

This is a discussion on My horse will not move forward within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • Horse plants and wont go forward
  • What to do with a horse that plants and wont go forward

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    11-16-2010, 11:34 AM
  #21
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayia    
Key which is the ironic part, is get her feet moving, while your doing ground work, show her your in charge, keep your self straight tall, in a way that says hey im in charge not you!, I have a few horses that are just lazy, on the ground if they don't move there feet make them, I usually take the end of the lunglin and whip it towards there feet, kind of getting low per say, don't hit her with it just swirl it and aim towards it, then step in doing so she will move I promise, she doesnt like something like that, just make her move and move and move, any direction at all, then stop resume your ground work, if she doesnt do what you want, then repeat what I said about moving, horses don't like to move in all directions, after a while she's going to go OK I like what we were doing before and she will start listening

As for in the saddle I agree with above, show her the boss, I have a quirt on my saddle horn and ill flick it to remind them it there if they don't listen ill tap them, sometimes it takes more then just love and care to get a horse to listen, some need discpline, and im not saying abuse or anything like that its just a friendly firm reminder that you are in charge not her
Thank you for your advice!
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    11-16-2010, 02:25 PM
  #22
Weanling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thia    
She moves forward just fine out on the trails, it's just in the arena she doesn't want to do any work. No matter if it's in the indoor or outdoor. Hope this clarifies this a little better
It does…and that, I think, is the problem, she knows what to do and will move out when it's what she wants to do, but would rather take a beating than perform when she doesn't. She bored and ring sour. There are several things you can do, a couple of options might be - 1) have a coming to Jesus with her, or, 2) shake things up when you ride in the arena. Option 1 would mean a real battle of wills and would probably end up in a fight, usually an all out rodeo - if you are not ready for that, don't even bother. Option 2 is make the arena a funner place to be - add poles, barrels, mirrors, balls, cones, etc. - anything to shake up the routine and make it more interesting for her. Don't use force, ask her to move out as you are doing now, then switch to annoying her…when she plants her feet, try buffing the hair off her back - step down in the stirrup and lean waaaaay over to one side and then to the other - back and forth - unbalance her enough where she has to take a step, ride with a squirt gun and wet her down, get a whistle and blow it, stuff a plastic bag in your pocket and wad/unwad it, blow up a balloon, etc.…anything to annoy her enough or untracked her enough to get her to move…and when she does move, stop whatever you were doing, give her an atta girl and calmly ride. You get the idea I think…at any rate…Good Luck! It's no fun when you get more exercise riding a horse than the horse gets!
     
    11-16-2010, 02:38 PM
  #23
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse Poor    
It does…and that, I think, is the problem, she knows what to do and will move out when it's what she wants to do, but would rather take a beating than perform when she doesn't. She bored and ring sour. There are several things you can do, a couple of options might be - 1) have a coming to Jesus with her, or, 2) shake things up when you ride in the arena. Option 1 would mean a real battle of wills and would probably end up in a fight, usually an all out rodeo - if you are not ready for that, don't even bother. Option 2 is make the arena a funner place to be - add poles, barrels, mirrors, balls, cones, etc. - anything to shake up the routine and make it more interesting for her. Don't use force, ask her to move out as you are doing now, then switch to annoying her…when she plants her feet, try buffing the hair off her back - step down in the stirrup and lean waaaaay over to one side and then to the other - back and forth - unbalance her enough where she has to take a step, ride with a squirt gun and wet her down, get a whistle and blow it, stuff a plastic bag in your pocket and wad/unwad it, blow up a balloon, etc.…anything to annoy her enough or untracked her enough to get her to move…and when she does move, stop whatever you were doing, give her an atta girl and calmly ride. You get the idea I think…at any rate…Good Luck! It's no fun when you get more exercise riding a horse than the horse gets!
Thank you for your advice! I am going to try some of those ideas! The last time I rode her was Sunday evening. We did some playing around with the poles and barrels. It was a ton of laughs. I actually got her to get into a canter when we were "running home" Then she hit the brakes and we were stuck for a minute before I got her going again.
I am getting closer and closer to a real come to Jesus talk. We've had little ones, but I'm at the point to have that all out battle with her and see where it goes. But as of now you are spot on, I am getting more exercise than she is. I get off all red faced and sweaty while she has a happy spring in her step without a drop of sweat anywhere on her body. I love her so much, but man is she frustrating!
     
    11-16-2010, 03:07 PM
  #24
Foal
If she's gaited maybe she's been ridden before with shoes on and her feet are tender. Have you checked her feet?
Just a thought. Its so hard when you don't have any info on a horse and you start riding it, I don't have any info on my boy and not sure what some of his cues or quirks might be.
     
    11-16-2010, 06:39 PM
  #25
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennKzoo    
If she's gaited maybe she's been ridden before with shoes on and her feet are tender. Have you checked her feet?
Just a thought. Its so hard when you don't have any info on a horse and you start riding it, I don't have any info on my boy and not sure what some of his cues or quirks might be.
My farrier said her feet are really good and has no need of shoes. At first I didn't even know she was gaited. I was just like what the heck is she doing?! When I first got her and lunged her for the first time.
I got her sight unseen from a horse dealer. I had a crazy dangerous warmblood mare that I couldn't do a thing with. I couldn't even go in her stall without her freaking out. I had had enough, the owner of the barn I was at at the time knew the dealer that had Xhex. So he called him, we made a trade. He showed up at the barn, took Xhex off the trailer, said here she is good luck, loaded the warmblood up and left. Xhex didn't even have a name. Didn't even know how old she was till we had the vet come out. She looked at her teeth and told me she was 7. That was back in May. So I'm still learning all of Xhex's quirks. It can be tough getting a horse you know nothing about. I took a gamble, and it was a good one except for her "I'm not doing that mommy because I don't want to!" attitude.
Good luck with your boy!
     
    11-16-2010, 07:04 PM
  #26
Foal
Thanks, same to you. I went riding with a friend this weekend and she just had the shoes removed from her gelding and he was tip toeing and slow, so I thought I'd just throw it out there.
     
    11-16-2010, 07:09 PM
  #27
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennKzoo    
Thanks, same to you. I went riding with a friend this weekend and she just had the shoes removed from her gelding and he was tip toeing and slow, so I thought I'd just throw it out there.
I appreciate any and all suggestions! Throw anything at me!
     
    11-16-2010, 09:35 PM
  #28
Foal
Also I recommend my Join Up technic I posted in a thread earlier. Let me get the link :)
     
    11-16-2010, 09:38 PM
  #29
Foal
The HOW TO thread
     
    11-16-2010, 10:21 PM
  #30
Super Moderator
Xhex,
Another thing I have heard is that when a horse has "a purpose" to go somewhere, he will often go there with vigor. Like chasing cows and such. What if you played chase with somone, perhaps on the ground (you being mounted and them playing the chasee). Or even started some sort of polo, if she isn't too shy of things being swung around and over her.

I was looking at this website on the Canadian trainer, Jonathon Fields (spell?) and he said he had this horse named Quincy who was THE most difficult horse he had ever had and he thought he would never get anywhere with him. When in a brainstorm he started doing "charro" type stuff, riding iwth a long stick and doing manuevers, that Quincy just took off, as if HE thought it was HIS job. From then on when they had a job to do, Q was a partner, instead of a slave.

So, think about doig something like chasing a dog or a person or a person dragging a tarp or kicking a ball, or . . . But be so focussed on gettting to that destination quickly and get her invested in the chase.
     

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cranky horse: Move forward or back out..Did I do it wrong? travlingypsy Horse Training 5 04-11-2010 08:47 PM
Why Won't He Move Forward? ArticDream Horse Training 6 07-23-2009 11:25 AM
Horse refuses to move forward chewbooeh Horse Training 12 06-29-2009 12:13 PM
Teaching Horse To Move Forward Spastic_Dove Horse Training 2 06-12-2008 08:49 PM
How to move a youngster forward jewlz Horse Training 17 05-25-2008 04:26 AM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:11 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0