Myth or Reality
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Myth or Reality

This is a discussion on Myth or Reality within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        04-05-2009, 02:55 PM
      #1
    Banned
    Myth or Reality

    I put this up on another forum so lets see what sort of replies we get here.


    We have been brainwashed to think that if it is European then it has to be better. We see this mentality in breeding as well as riding. 20 years ago I would have agreed 100% but North and South America has closed the gap considerably. It was not a European that sat on the top of the heap in show jumping at the last Olympics but a North American...specifically a Canadian. The US Jumping team is very strong as is the Canadian team. The Brazilians and Mexicans cannot be sneezed at either. The US Eventing team was first at the last WEG with a Canadian bred eventer (Carrick) on that team. Dressage is lacking somewhat but inroads are being made.

    So why does the idea that if it comes from Europe it has to be better still persist?
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        04-05-2009, 03:23 PM
      #2
    Foal
    You made a very good evaluation lol

    It probably has to do with lack of knowledge really. If you study up, like you seem to have done, being European doesn't necessarily make it better. In a way I think a lot of people in North American think anything foreign in genreral is better (not just horses, but anything).

    Like you said, we are brainwashed xD Even I tend to think "oh, it's from Europe it must be REALLY nice" Though there are quite a few imported horses I have seen that aren't much, if any, better than the horses bred right here.

    Personally, I think the main reason a lot of us think European horses a better is because the "more fortunate" are the people who usually have imported horses (some just buy them to prove they have the money) and we have a tendency to think people who have money buy the best of the best...that's the case sometimes, but a lot of the time it's just a matter of gloating, not because the horse(s) are superior.

    I guess that's my view on it, but never really thought on it too much xD
         
        04-06-2009, 02:11 PM
      #3
    Showing
    I think of it because of the time element. The Europeans have been at it literally for centuries. Their breeding programs are much more stringent and demanding then ours.

    Spyder, if you remember a post a week or two ago concerning a member who wanted to know which registry to use for her WB - the European or the North American. The choice was the North American because her horse would score higher. That is what I mean by European being more discriminating.

    Because of that I think we translate it to mean that "if it's from Europe it must be better". BUT that is for English, not Western.
         
        04-06-2009, 07:09 PM
      #4
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridehorses    
    Spyder, if you remember a post a week or two ago concerning a member who wanted to know which registry to use for her WB - the European or the North American. The choice was the North American because her horse would score higher. That is what I mean by European being more discriminating.

    I remember and even if that mare would have scored higher in the European registry I still would have suggested the N.A. One simply because we should be making efforts to support at least in this case the American offshoot of the European registry.

    I well know how people will rush to breed to the stallion that was just imported even if it is less superior than a locally home grown one.

    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iridehorses    
    Because of that I think we translate it to mean that "if it's from Europe it must be better". BUT that is for English, not Western.
    Since certain western events are becoming popular in Europe and held at a truly international level it will be interesting to see how true this statement is, as many QH are being imported to Europe.
         
        04-06-2009, 07:25 PM
      #5
    Showing
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Spyder    
    I remember and even if that mare would have scored higher in the European registry I still would have suggested the N.A. One simply because we should be making efforts to support at least in this case the American offshoot of the European registry.

    I well know how people will rush to breed to the stallion that was just imported even if it is less superior than a locally home grown one.
    Perception outweighs reality at times - and outcosts it too.
         

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Horseworld and Reality Spyder Jokes and Funnies 3 12-12-2008 11:36 PM
    Beet pulp myths and reality Peggysue Horse Health 7 12-11-2008 04:18 AM
    New Reality Series TrottinBy Horse Talk 2 10-16-2007 09:52 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:30 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0