Neck Reining:What's The Best Way To Teach It? - Page 2
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Neck Reining:What's The Best Way To Teach It?

This is a discussion on Neck Reining:What's The Best Way To Teach It? within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

    Like Tree19Likes

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-26-2012, 02:45 PM
      #11
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tasia    
    I can't say I have a particular way on how to train for it but there are two mistakes I see with greener riders.1. When they neck rein they drag their hand so far over the horses neck that the outside rein is being pulled, which just cause the horse to suck back. I think that's also why I see so many riders with horses that root their noses out whenever they are asked to turn.
    2. In the training process a lot of riders never pay attention the horses nose, nose FIRST, not shoulders, not rib cage. I see it all the time, the horse is just throwing his shoulder into every turn.
    I agree on the number 1, the rein hand should never really cross over the plane of the horse's mane, UNLESS you also have your leg engaged.

    As for number 2, I disagree slightly. A horse's body position IS very key in neck reining. If you concentrate on JUST the nose, the shoulder and rib cages bulges out and the horse is merely turning it's head and neck. You want the horse's body to follow through the turn, which is why paying attention to the shoulder and rib cage is very important.
    Palomine likes this.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-26-2012, 09:15 PM
      #12
    rob
    Weanling
    When you neck rein to the right,the left shank gets tight first,so his nose gets tipped in the opposite direction you want to go.two hand him tipping his nose in the direction you want to go with while putting the outside rein on the neck.use outside leg as well.before long,like gotadun stated,you can pick up your reins and guide him with leg pressure.
    GotaDunQH and countryryder like this.
         
        03-01-2012, 11:32 PM
      #13
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotaDunQH    
    I agree on the number 1, the rein hand should never really cross over the plane of the horse's mane, UNLESS you also have your leg engaged.

    As for number 2, I disagree slightly. A horse's body position IS very key in neck reining. If you concentrate on JUST the nose, the shoulder and rib cages bulges out and the horse is merely turning it's head and neck. You want the horse's body to follow through the turn, which is why paying attention to the shoulder and rib cage is very important.
    Totally understand, It just goes to show how much lateral work helps to make a better trained and efficiently moving horse.
         
        03-08-2012, 02:48 PM
      #14
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tasia    
    Totally understand, It just goes to show how much lateral work helps to make a better trained and efficiently moving horse.

    Agree, Method I use on starting green horses is applying direct rein only after I have already asked with the opposite rein. I have a older mare I am working on at the moment for a trail horse and she is being a bit of a bugger. I did my second ride on her today and she is getting softer on the rein and responding alot faster, only thing is she is determined to circle and never pick a line and just go straight! Going to keep working her and try and get it sorted. Anyone want to throw a trainer tip out there on keeping her straight? She is the first I have had this trouble with. Could be cause she is older. I don't usually mess with older ones, might be a older habit or something.
         
        03-08-2012, 04:07 PM
      #15
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wallee    
    Agree, Method I use on starting green horses is applying direct rein only after I have already asked with the opposite rein. I have a older mare I am working on at the moment for a trail horse and she is being a bit of a bugger. I did my second ride on her today and she is getting softer on the rein and responding alot faster, only thing is she is determined to circle and never pick a line and just go straight! Going to keep working her and try and get it sorted. Anyone want to throw a trainer tip out there on keeping her straight? She is the first I have had this trouble with. Could be cause she is older. I don't usually mess with older ones, might be a older habit or something.
    Legs and seat, legs and seat.....
         
        03-08-2012, 04:30 PM
      #16
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Darrin    
    What I like to do is find a narrow trail, I then "neck rein" them around every twitch in the trail. Your horse will quickly figure out neck reining because they have the visual reinforcement of the trail with what you are asking of them.
    Exactly this, after a 3 hour trail ride our new (admittedly very smart) arab who had never neck reined, neck reins better than most "western" horses I've ridden, and although I ride primarily english, neck reining is a very valuable tool for closing gates, helping someone with a tack malfunction, etc. etc.
    Kathy
         
        03-08-2012, 04:47 PM
      #17
    Foal
    Do it in a snaffle. A curb bit is useless without the horse being efficient in neck reining. Its actually hurts more than it helps until they neck rein.

    I set up cones in a square and neck rein all one direction around the square then go back the other way. If she doesnt turn on the neck, I direct rein very lightly, increasing pressure until she begins then I release immediatly. Do this while giving leg cues. Some are qucker than others.
         
        03-08-2012, 05:16 PM
      #18
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GotaDunQH    
    Legs and seat, legs and seat.....

    More detail? If your refering to my leg ques they are spot on same I have used for many many horses So that's why I would like more detail
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    How to teach a horse neck reigning.? Baylee Horse Training 7 06-13-2011 09:49 PM
    How do you teach a horse to neck reign? Baylee Horse Riding 4 05-25-2011 12:57 PM
    What bit should I use to teach my horse to neck reign? SidMit Horse Training 3 09-18-2010 07:35 PM
    How hard is it to teach neck reining? kmacdougall Western Riding 14 08-05-2010 12:43 PM
    How do you teach a horse to neck rein? savvylover112 Western Riding 12 12-21-2009 06:46 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:19 AM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0