The Neck Rope - Page 11
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

The Neck Rope

This is a discussion on The Neck Rope within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        05-02-2010, 07:28 PM
      #101
    Trained
    I think you better re-read my earlier post. The horse was tied for the whole day because he was a danger to be around when he was tied for any lenght of time. He might stand for 5 minutes and pull back or he might stand for 30 minutes. The point is that each time he broke something and got loose the problem got bigger. The lariet was 7/16 inch nylon rope that was immposible for the horse to break and the 60 foot cottonwood sure wasn't going anywhere so the only thing that could change is the horse. Nobody waved sticks at him or did any other kind of non-sense. He had to stand there for so long because that was how much time the work took to get done and my dad figured it was enough time that he would either get over it or kill himself fighting but he couldn't hurt anything else while he worked it out. It worked and the horse was better for it the rest of his life.
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        05-02-2010, 07:29 PM
      #102
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    I think you better re-read my earlier post. The horse was tied for the whole day because he was a danger to be around when he was tied for any lenght of time. He might stand for 5 minutes and pull back or he might stand for 30 minutes. The point is that each time he broke something and got loose the problem got bigger. The lariet was 7/16 inch nylon rope that was immposible for the horse to break and the 60 foot cottonwood sure wasn't going anywhere so the only thing that could change is the horse. Nobody waved sticks at him or did any other kind of non-sense. He had to stand there for so long because that was how much time the work took to get done and my dad figured it was enough time that he would either get over it or kill himself fighting but he couldn't hurt anything else while he worked it out. It worked and the horse was better for it the rest of his life.
    Fair enough I get teach them to stand still and all that but do you not think 8-10hours would do more harm than good? Do you not think they would associate being tied up with being tied up for hours on end? It didnt happen with that horse but with others.....
         
        05-02-2010, 07:37 PM
      #103
    Trained
    No. I wouldn't start tying a horse that was just halter broke for hours but eventually the horse has to learn how to stand tied for however long it is ask. What's time to a horse? Without somekind of visual reference humans can't even tell the passing of time. I see no problem with my horse expecting to be tied up for 20 hours every time he gets tied up. He will stand patiently and be pleasantly suprised when he only has to stand for 2 hours while I load cattle on a truck or some other chore that doesn't require a horse. You seem to be quite young and with a limited amount of experience with horses but when you get older you will realize that things don't always happen like they do in books and movies.
         
        05-02-2010, 07:38 PM
      #104
    Yearling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevinshorses    
    No. I wouldn't start tying a horse that was just halter broke for hours but eventually the horse has to learn how to stand tied for however long it is ask. What's time to a horse? Without somekind of visual reference humans can't even tell the passing of time. I see no problem with my horse expecting to be tied up for 20 hours every time he gets tied up. He will stand patiently and be pleasantly suprised when he only has to stand for 2 hours while I load cattle on a truck or some other chore that doesn't require a horse. You seem to be quite young and with a limited amount of experience with horses but when you get older you will realize that things don't always happen like they do in books and movies.
    Im 17 and have been working around horses since I was 4. I've more experience than you think
         
        05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
      #105
    Showing
    Considering that loose horses in the pasture generally stand for, what, 15, 18 hours a day, how is making them stand where you want them to stand for a few hours unfair? When I first got my Mustang, he was left tied at all times when I wasn't riding him. He had access to water and a hay bag when tied up for the night but he stayed tied. He fought several times and even ended up down once. All he ended up with was a little rope burn around one leg and a mentality to stay tied calmly, exactly where I want him to, regardless of what I tie him with.

    If a horse gets loose, nothing may happen except you have to chase him down. However, what happens if he ends up in the road and gets hit by a car. Then, not only do you have a horse who is either dead or needs to be put down, but you also have to deal with lawsuits from the driver of the car for property damage or injuries caused by them hitting a loose horse. 99.9% of the time, a horse will stop fighting before they do any real damage to themselves. Sure, they can get hurt fighting a tie but I would much rather deal with just an injured horse rather than injured people too.
         
        05-02-2010, 07:39 PM
      #106
    Trained
    Nope. That's about how much I thought.
         
        05-02-2010, 08:37 PM
      #107
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xLaurenOscarx    
    Becuase if they don't break loose they rear up and fall over. Not fun. Id rather them break the rope then have to be put down.
    I put a headcollar and lead rope on over his bridle and tie him to string.
    I throw a bridle on.
    If my horse breaks loose and runs down a road then he breaks loose and runs down a road. Good solid tie and he ends up flipping over?
    I don't see your point and I don't see how its great. I personally think its stupid but that's just my opinion.

    I've tied lots of horses over the last 50 years and never had a horse hurt in any way. I have never had a horse flip over as you say. My horses can be tied over a long weekend and never cause one single moments problem. We go to the beach and leave them tied for hours without supervision.
    You just don't know how to tie if your horse is flipping over.
    Maybe with age, more maturity you will learn IF you listen.
         
        05-02-2010, 08:41 PM
      #108
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xLaurenOscarx    
    8-10hours:O no wonder the horse was fighting! Id go mad if I was made stand in the same place for 8 - 10 hours!
    On rides I tie my string for 3 days and the only time they are off the line is for riding in the race. Horses in alot of barns are tied 24/7 in the same stall and only get out when used
         
        05-02-2010, 08:43 PM
      #109
    Banned
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xLaurenOscarx    
    Im 17 and have been working around horses since I was 4. I've more experience than you think
    At 4 you started gaining experience???? Sure you did.

    One lady posted that her husband took their one week old baby on the horse. Does that mean when the kid is 5 years old he has 5 years of experience????
         
        05-02-2010, 08:49 PM
      #110
    Trained
    I wish I had a big tree and suitable area like kevin did - I would tie Latte with a neck collar or rope and leave her there all day, and hopefully it would end the silly business of pulling back she has.

    As it is I don't and have to make do with what I have, but it means that as it stands I would not be game to leave her tied out at a competition - And what use is a horse you can't leave tied?

    I have a big grudge against whoever taught her she could pull back in the first place - It is a dangerous habit and one that is hard to break.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    Rope Halter Rope JustLeaveIt2Mya Horse Tack and Equipment 2 03-12-2010 04:45 PM
    Would a neck sweat help his neck? paintluver Horse Riding Critique 31 02-28-2010 01:04 AM
    Lowered head/neck and ears pinned to neck coffeemama Horse Training 12 11-07-2009 02:16 AM
    Why Rope Halters? Velvetgrace Horse Training 9 07-30-2009 05:02 PM
    Making a "neck" rope, what kind to use? Liv Horse Tack and Equipment 2 05-14-2009 06:46 PM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:37 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0