Need some ideas for ground work exercises
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

Need some ideas for ground work exercises

This is a discussion on Need some ideas for ground work exercises within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category

     
    LinkBack Thread Tools
        02-07-2014, 09:21 PM
      #1
    Weanling
    Need some ideas for ground work exercises

    I'm sure most of you guys have read my other post but I have an under weight mare who riding is not and option right now at all
    12347088323_ba31941a75.jpg
    So I am looking for some good activities to do with her to keep her collected over the time it takes me to put weight on her and also help bond us better.
    12347117343_ded43d9334.jpg
         
    Sponsored Links
    Advertisement
     
        02-09-2014, 02:39 PM
      #2
    Started
    I'd start with things that will make it safer to handle her and go back to basics. Does she lead perfectly? Can you handle her feet, head, ears... without her protesting. Easier to figure this out now than with a tube of dewormer in your hand. Teach her to drop her head on cue. Only halter her when she responds to the drop cue. You can progress to bridling. Sounds simple but many struggle with such a basic and necessary task. Can she stand for hours without fidgeting? Work on sending. Stand to the side of a gate and send her though. When she hits the end of the rope, she turns and faces you. Safer for you than having her follow you through a tight space. Will help with loading as well. Work on desensitizing her to stuff. Clippers, vacuum, saddle blankets, fly masks (ripping velcro), the neighbors llamas, rocks on the side of the road, things around her legs... You can overdo it and make her dull but I'd feel better knowing how she's going to react to something before I got on her back. Work on flexing. Might reveal some limitations that need to be addressed.
         
        02-09-2014, 04:12 PM
      #3
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons    
    I'd start with things that will make it safer to handle her and go back to basics. Does she lead perfectly? Can you handle her feet, head, ears... without her protesting. Easier to figure this out now than with a tube of dewormer in your hand. Teach her to drop her head on cue. Only halter her when she responds to the drop cue. You can progress to bridling. Sounds simple but many struggle with such a basic and necessary task. Can she stand for hours without fidgeting? Work on sending. Stand to the side of a gate and send her though. When she hits the end of the rope, she turns and faces you. Safer for you than having her follow you through a tight space. Will help with loading as well. Work on desensitizing her to stuff. Clippers, vacuum, saddle blankets, fly masks (ripping velcro), the neighbors llamas, rocks on the side of the road, things around her legs... You can overdo it and make her dull but I'd feel better knowing how she's going to react to something before I got on her back. Work on flexing. Might reveal some limitations that need to be addressed.
    She's pretty good at leading and stuff just don't want to let her sit untouched for to long being underweight and thought this could be a good time to work on all that.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        02-09-2014, 04:22 PM
      #4
    Weanling
    I learnt to try and get my horse to back up through a maze of poles on the ground without touching them?
         
        02-09-2014, 04:54 PM
      #5
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madyasmkey    
    I learnt to try and get my horse to back up through a maze of poles on the ground without touching them?
    That's interesting how did you do that?
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        02-09-2014, 05:08 PM
      #6
    Weanling
    I taught her to back up and twist her bum away from what ever side I clicked my fingers as well as pushing her back, if she didn't back up straight then she'd hit the pole
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg Screenshot_2014-02-09-21-02-49.jpg (13.3 KB, 63 views)
         
        02-09-2014, 05:48 PM
      #7
    Showing
    Google horse agility and modify the obstacles to use what you have on hand. One exercise uses either two hula hoops or two rings drawn with flour. Lead horse so the front legs are in the ring then you stand in the other. The idea is that the horse remains at her ring and doesn't try to follow you. Altho she may lead pretty good, it's awesome having a horse so responsive that if you can't tell if you are leading a horse or just holding a rope.
         
        02-09-2014, 08:46 PM
      #8
    Weanling
    If you are looking for a good book I would recommend 101 Ground Training Exercises by Cherry Hill. It is great and covers a wide range of exercises and provides pictures and diagrams too!
    Here's a link: 101 Ground Training Exercises for Every Horse & Handler Book by Cherry Hill | Trade Paperback | chapters.indigo.ca
         
        02-09-2014, 09:58 PM
      #9
    Weanling
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by WildAtHeart    
    If you are looking for a good book I would recommend 101 Ground Training Exercises by Cherry Hill. It is great and covers a wide range of exercises and provides pictures and diagrams too!
    Here's a link: 101 Ground Training Exercises for Every Horse & Handler Book by Cherry Hill | Trade Paperback | chapters.indigo.ca
    Okay cool thank you I'll have to check it out.
    Posted via Mobile Device
         
        02-09-2014, 11:55 PM
      #10
    Trained
    I second poles. They are cheap. I use landscaping timbers. They are not heavy, they have a flat edge so you can "stack" them if you like. They come in 8', I left some 8', and cut the others in half. You have to kind of study them when you buy them and pick out the straight ones. You can lay out all sorts of "games" w them. Just remember that when you start, any "challenge" you set-up has to "doable" to give them a sense of accomplishment - then increase the difficulty. Just working with them on the ground this way doesn't take a lot of energy - which she doesn't look like she can afford to burn in excess, but it livens up their mind.
         

    Quick Reply
    Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
    Message:
    Options

    Register Now

    In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

    Already have a Horse Forum account?
    Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

    New to the Horse Forum?
    Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

    User Name:
    Password
    Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
    Password:
    Confirm Password:
    Email Address
    Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
    Email Address:

    Log-in

    Human Verification

    In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


    Old Thread Warning
    This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

    Thread Tools

    Similar Threads
    Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
    More Ground Work Ideas?? jinx1990 Horse Training 3 01-21-2013 10:27 PM
    I need some help with ground work ideas Allymisty Horse Training 9 12-04-2012 05:36 PM
    Ground Work Exercises. Your suggestions please. Shropshirerosie Horse Training 8 10-09-2012 11:27 PM
    Ground work exercises bakercar Horse Training 6 07-16-2012 05:46 PM
    ground work ideas! help barrelbeginner Horse Training 3 04-14-2012 10:22 AM



    All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:29 PM.


    Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
    Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0