needing advice about slowly starting to work a horse
 
 

       The Horse Forum > Training Horses > Horse Training

needing advice about slowly starting to work a horse

This is a discussion on needing advice about slowly starting to work a horse within the Horse Training forums, part of the Training Horses category
  • "Starting to work a horse"

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
    06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
  #1
Banned
needing advice about slowly starting to work a horse

So Chester is a Friesian Selle Francais cross, his pedal bones were behind in growing then his other bones. He's a 7yr old and about a year ago the lady I bought him from was also the trainer we use. Well, she was doing cross rails with him..and he pulled up lame..For a year know he's lived in Boots, Shoes..and Bell boots. He had a check up today and our vet said he is finally able to be worked lightly on the ground at a walk and maybe a trot but not to much. What are some things that would get him even a little in shape? I'm up for anything.
Heres what he looks like so you can see what he needs to work on
012.JPG

013.JPG

015.jpg
As of right now he's a fat happy horse
Any games that could be played? Or work that you could think of?
     
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
    06-22-2011, 04:14 PM
  #2
Foal
Trails are always good and it's not a boring arena or field. But, that all depends on how his legs are. You don't want a hard trail. Probably just an easy flat one. Nothing for him to jump over or anything that will put pressure on his legs. I'm not sure the extent of is injuries, so it's hard to say what his limitations are, therefore it's hard to say what he can do without getting hurt again. Can he run without you on him?? I play with a big ball with my horse. He likes to chase it and kick it around, but he usually runs when doing that. Again, I'm not sure what your guy is allowed to do and not do at this point. Maybe some more info on his limitations would give us some more ideas for ya.....:)
     
    06-22-2011, 04:33 PM
  #3
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texana    
Trails are always good and it's not a boring arena or field. But, that all depends on how his legs are. You don't want a hard trail. Probably just an easy flat one. Nothing for him to jump over or anything that will put pressure on his legs. I'm not sure the extent of is injuries, so it's hard to say what his limitations are, therefore it's hard to say what he can do without getting hurt again. Can he run without you on him?? I play with a big ball with my horse. He likes to chase it and kick it around, but he usually runs when doing that. Again, I'm not sure what your guy is allowed to do and not do at this point. Maybe some more info on his limitations would give us some more ideas for ya.....:)

He's allowed to walk and trot..but, i'm not allowed to ride him.
The vet said start with maybe 10-15 minutes then add to it.
He's been allowed in the field for the last 4 months during the day and I have yet to see him actually do any trotting. During work outs he has to wear his Old Mac's G2 Multi-Purpose boots (thats all the time actually) and has to wear
Equilibrium Tri-Zone Allsports Boots also..
So he's allowed to walk and do some trotting and learn to use his body again..
As long as its all on the ground..
Here's the things I have that I can use
~arena
~round pen
~whips (not that he needs it he listens to vocals)
~side reins/surcingle/drive lines/ drew reins
And I can get anything that could help him.
     
    06-22-2011, 05:03 PM
  #4
Super Moderator
Well, I don't know anything formal about bringing a horse back to fitness, but they say a lot of walking, walking and walking. Up and down hills, too.
     
    06-22-2011, 05:15 PM
  #5
Trained
Often times people underestimate the power of a brisk, 15 minute walk once a day. I would start by handwalking the horse once a day every day on a flat surface in a straight line and really walk, not doddling. Bring a dressage whip to encourage him and walk as fast as you possibly can for 10 to 15 minutes for the first few weeks, slowly bump him to 30 minutes, plateau for a week, work to 45, plateau and then an hour. At an hour of walking where he is staying comfortable for the whole work out (of course you will have to start varying intensity along the way) then and only then would I begin any trot or hill work but not both on the same day, and with an only walk day in between. I would start riding hum at this point, only on some days. On the trot, hill or riding days, only work for 30 to 45 minutes and not at full walk intensity.
Avoid circles and trying the head down. Listen to the horse and he will tell you when he's had enough. You want to work him to about 80% of his limit, every day.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    06-22-2011, 05:40 PM
  #6
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~anebel~*~    
Often times people underestimate the power of a brisk, 15 minute walk once a day. I would start by handwalking the horse once a day every day on a flat surface in a straight line and really walk, not doddling. Bring a dressage whip to encourage him and walk as fast as you possibly can for 10 to 15 minutes for the first few weeks, slowly bump him to 30 minutes, plateau for a week, work to 45, plateau and then an hour. At an hour of walking where he is staying comfortable for the whole work out (of course you will have to start varying intensity along the way) then and only then would I begin any trot or hill work but not both on the same day, and with an only walk day in between. I would start riding hum at this point, only on some days. On the trot, hill or riding days, only work for 30 to 45 minutes and not at full walk intensity.
Avoid circles and trying the head down. Listen to the horse and he will tell you when he's had enough. You want to work him to about 80% of his limit, every day.

Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
thank you, I will start waking him,do you think walkinghimdown a flat trail would be ok?
     
    06-22-2011, 05:44 PM
  #7
Trained
When I was rehabbing my one horse we went for walks down a country road. As long as its flat and not slippery it should work well.
Good luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
     
    06-22-2011, 05:49 PM
  #8
Foal
Treats are always a good idea. If you can walk him in an arena type area or somewhere that is enclosed you could play games like follow the leader. Start him at a walk then as he gets into shape you could get him to trot after you. Reward him with treats for stopping when you stop, turning when you turn, etc. That might be a little bit more fun for both of you than just a hand walk.

I did this with my horse who was supposedly so crazy when I got him that nobody could ride him or even get him in the ring. I did this for about two weeks before I even sat on him to get him to realize that being in the ring is not a bad thing. It was a little bit different re-hab program for him but I would think it could work just as well.
     
    06-22-2011, 06:07 PM
  #9
Banned
Thank you guys, do you think mixing it up would be ok? Once we finally got to put him back out to pasture we did grooming classes together and learned trick. He is vocal trained for left, right, back, stop, walk and trot. So I think that would be a fun game thanks dreamsintotreasure should it be done on a lead or lunge line.
~*~anebel~*~ thank you, too
Also do you think teaching him to kick a ball will help?
     
    06-22-2011, 06:13 PM
  #10
Foal
Quote:
Originally Posted by huggingchester    
thank you guys, do you think mixing it up would be ok? Once we finally got to put him back out to pasture we did grooming classes together and learned trick. He is vocal trained for left, right, back, stop, walk and trot. So I think that would be a fun game thanks dreamsintotreasure should it be done on a lead or lunge line.
~*~anebel~*~ thank you, too
Also do you think teaching him to kick a ball will help?
It really depends if you have an enclosed area or not. I did it in the ring so I was able to let my horse be free. Of course once he figured out I had treats, he didn't go far.
Posted via Mobile Device
     

Quick Reply
Please help keep the Horse Forum enjoyable by reporting rude posts.
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Spring is slowly coming :D!! very slowly ;) Frankiee Horse Riding 6 02-06-2011 03:32 PM
Needing Advice On Raising A Halter Horse Brandie Horse Training 2 06-26-2010 03:15 PM
Slowly Getting back into work. HorsesAreForever Horse Training 8 03-17-2010 12:24 AM
Needing Bit Advice BackInTheSaddleAgain Horse Tack and Equipment 16 06-07-2009 01:24 PM
needing some advice on horse euthanasia mulletmaster Horse Health 8 05-05-2008 04:29 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0