New horse - Page 2 - The Horse Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 Old 02-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,284
• Horses: 4
Is he gelded?

I would suggest to go to library or even on Youtube and look for training techniques. People like Clinton Anderson and such are a wonderful source of info. On here all one can do is read, it's much better to see it in action.

Here's a link to get you started:
YouTube - clinton anderson colt starting.

Also, Western Horsemen and Cherry Hill have some excellent books.

PS: Are you planning on moving him to were there are other horses? Being alone isn't that great for their mind.
G and K's Mom is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 21 Old 02-10-2009, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 145
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by G and K's Mom View Post
Is he gelded?

I would suggest to go to library or even on Youtube and look for training techniques. People like Clinton Anderson and such are a wonderful source of info. On here all one can do is read, it's much better to see it in action.

Here's a link to get you started:
YouTube - clinton anderson colt starting.

Also, Western Horsemen and Cherry Hill have some excellent books.

PS: Are you planning on moving him to were there are other horses? Being alone isn't that great for their mind.

He isnt gelded.. and I am planning on him having more horses around just not right now. and i have looked at you tube today and tried to learn some things. THanks
crystal8489 is offline  
post #13 of 21 Old 02-10-2009, 04:45 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: AB, Canada
Posts: 958
• Horses: 0
Get him gelded! Jay O Jay seems like a good trainer. Check him out, theres a ton of his vids on youtube too.
Whipple is offline  
post #14 of 21 Old 02-10-2009, 06:35 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: england
Posts: 504
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal8489 View Post
okay i will try that! I will let you know when i get the video thanks for your help.. you have always answered my questions i appreciate it!

no problem, if i can help i will... just pm or something when you got the vid... Good luck

:~: A Horse Is An Angel Without Wings :~:
jemmamalone is offline  
post #15 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 03:19 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,284
• Horses: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whipple View Post
Get him gelded! Jay O Jay seems like a good trainer. Check him out, theres a ton of his vids on youtube too.
I agree, when are you getting him gelded? Has he dropped? that will take care of some of his agression.

Last edited by G and K's Mom; 02-11-2009 at 03:24 PM.
G and K's Mom is offline  
post #16 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 145
• Horses: 1
Im not sure when.. and i dont think he has dropped
crystal8489 is offline  
post #17 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 03:49 PM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: england
Posts: 504
• Horses: 1
If he will let you have a look and see if you can tell... If not you can get a vet out to look for you and then you can make an appt to do it. Usually its a quick procedure. How are you getting on with him?

:~: A Horse Is An Angel Without Wings :~:
jemmamalone is offline  
post #18 of 21 Old 02-11-2009, 03:53 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hatton Vale, QLD, Australia
Posts: 5,227
• Horses: 7
1. hes an arab &
2. hes a colt



theres the majority of your issues with him pushy and a general pain in the patootie. are you going to geld him? thats probably a good place to start and i would do it before he gets too much older if you are going to. colts can be tricky enough at the best of times but with a breed like an arab it gets even more tricky cause thats just the kind of horses they are.

it can be difficult if he is a bit jumpy but you need to be firm and show him who is boss. dont let him in your space and if he invades your space back him up each time he does it until he learns where he should be. if he walks all over you on the ground it will be even worse in the saddle.

"I whisper but my horse doesnt listen...So I yell!!...He still doesnt listen"


jazzyrider is offline  
post #19 of 21 Old 02-12-2009, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Foal
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Alabama
Posts: 145
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzyrider View Post
1. hes an arab &
2. hes a colt



theres the majority of your issues with him pushy and a general pain in the patootie. are you going to geld him? thats probably a good place to start and i would do it before he gets too much older if you are going to. colts can be tricky enough at the best of times but with a breed like an arab it gets even more tricky cause thats just the kind of horses they are.

it can be difficult if he is a bit jumpy but you need to be firm and show him who is boss. dont let him in your space and if he invades your space back him up each time he does it until he learns where he should be. if he walks all over you on the ground it will be even worse in the saddle.

Thanks so much. I guess i will be getting him gelded SOON!!! and the weird thing is he is much better if i go by myself rather than takin my boyfriend or any friend!
crystal8489 is offline  
post #20 of 21 Old 02-12-2009, 11:26 AM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: British Columbia, Canada
Posts: 1,284
• Horses: 4
Being better when it's just you would be normal for a young one. The more people milling around him the more "up" he's apt to get. Look into the gelding and maybe someone more experienced to come out and give you some pointers on handling.
G and K's Mom is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome