Not standing on crossties/Dislikes grooming? - Page 2 - The Horse Forum

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,566
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
I don't think booting a horse in the belly is going to teach patience. Scratch that - I KNOW it won't.

.
I didn't say Booting, I said KNEE, there is a difference.
As for young, I only start young unhandled stud colts, nothing else anymore and they ahave NO handling and yet in a day or two I expect, no demand they stand quiet and unmoving in cross ties.
And as for KNOWING it won't?? Have you tried it?? Unless you have you don't really KNOW.

There are no bad horses just bad handlers.
RiosDad is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 10:39 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,566
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutrider View Post
I do ask that you do not assume that because I do things a little differently than you that my horses are ill-mannered or disrespectful, or that I "don't have a clue". Thank you.
I am sorry if I offended you. You are right, I don't know you or your horses. I assume and we all know what happens when you ASSume?
Yes we make one out of ourselves
I am sorry.
RiosDad is offline  
post #13 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 10:41 AM
Weanling
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Pickton, TX
Posts: 555
• Horses: 3
to each their own on training. Gotta remember horses KICK each other with full force.
Anyways if you have a round pen or even just a lunge line. Go to brush him if he doesn't stand Make him Move. Maybe turn him once or twice then try again. He'll wanna stand after a while.
Id also stick him to the patience post more.
Crimsonhorse01 is offline  
post #14 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 10:43 AM
Started
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: In Denial...
Posts: 1,679
• Horses: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad View Post
I am sorry if I offended you. You are right, I don't know you or your horses. I assume and we all know what happens when you ASSume?
Yes we make one out of ourselves

I am sorry.
Lol @ that.

Apology accepted, Rio. Thank you.

A stubborn horse walks behind you, an impatient one in front of you, but a noble companion walks beside you ~ Unknown
Scoutrider is offline  
post #15 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 PM
mls
Trained
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: MN
Posts: 5,464
• Horses: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiosDad View Post
I didn't say Booting, I said KNEE, there is a difference.
As for young, I only start young unhandled stud colts, nothing else anymore and they ahave NO handling and yet in a day or two I expect, no demand they stand quiet and unmoving in cross ties.
And as for KNOWING it won't?? Have you tried it?? Unless you have you don't really KNOW.

There are no bad horses just bad handlers.
Same principle. You are smacking a horse for not having patience. I know that doesn't work.

Exactly how many unhandled stud colts does your barn owner let on her property every year?
mls is offline  
post #16 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 12:32 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: ontario, canada
Posts: 1,566
• Horses: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mls View Post
Same principle. You are smacking a horse for not having patience. I know that doesn't work.

Exactly how many unhandled stud colts does your barn owner let on her property every year?
Only the ones I buy and I geld them immediately. I don't have any use for a stud but that is all I like to buy. I find them outgoing, brave and if unhandled unspoiled but that said I won't keep one a stud.
In 51 years I have worked out a system that MAKES good horses.
And yes I use the same syestem over and over. Why mess with something that works.
RiosDad is offline  
post #17 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 12:39 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Stroudsburg, Pa
Posts: 984
• Horses: 4
Kneeing a horse in the ribs is no different than it getting kicked while playing or you giving a kick while riding. That being said, the best thing I have seen my grandmother do is just tie him short for a few hours. Start with just a single tie, and ignore him but keep an eye on him while you do barn chores. Once he quiets down, wait a little while and after he stands quietly for some time untie him. Keep doing this until he quits the fidgeting and up the ante to the cross ties. Once he learns that acting will not get him untied, he'll stand quietly. She has used this method for probably 30+ years and always has success.
kassierae is offline  
post #18 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Foal
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: alberta, canada
Posts: 148
• Horses: 0
agreed with kassierae. We always start our young horses out with some standing alone time.
lolayla is offline  
post #19 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 01:08 PM
Trained
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: N.W. Ohio
Posts: 5,344
• Horses: 0
I have to agree with Riosdad. I do not own a horse who will not tie and stand quietly. I also do not own a horse that rears kicks or bits. Why. B/C I do not tolerate it. If they move they get kneed just like he was talking about. If they rear they get kicked of they bit they think they are going to die. It is very simple. There are certain hills to die on and those are mine. Every one of my babies stand tied by the time they are weaned. I have even hauled several weanlings to shows and left them tied to the trailer all day when they where not being shown. Ever single one of them where little angles. Now I did hot have to knee them to get them to do it. However the discipline was relative to their age when needed.

You are the heard leading. Do the same thing the lead mare would do. They do not stand and try to understand the horses feelings. They use discipline and the force needed to get the results needed. No more or less.

-I'm so busy... I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse.
-An Armed Man is a Citizen an unarmed man is a subject.
-Where ever free speech is stifled Tyranny will reign.
nrhareiner is offline  
post #20 of 36 Old 03-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Yearling
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Cuyahoga Falls, OH
Posts: 965
• Horses: 2
Riosdad: Man! I'm really liking this side of you lol. I remember when you wouldn't hold back ANYTHING and just spurt crap out (as I did too), it's nice to see you're calming down haha. I think I still need to work on that as well. Now back to the topic...I agree with you 100%.

- If today was your last day, and tomorrow was too late, could you say goodbye to yesterday?
PechosGoldenChance is offline  
Reply

Tags
bored , crossties , green , training

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Horse Forum forums, you must first register.

Already have a Horse Forum account?
Members are allowed only one account per person at the Horse Forum, so if you've made an account here in the past you'll need to continue using that account. Please do not create a new account or you may lose access to the Horse Forum. If you need help recovering your existing account, please Contact Us. We'll be glad to help!

New to the Horse Forum?
Please choose a username you will be satisfied with using for the duration of your membership at the Horse Forum. We do not change members' usernames upon request because that would make it difficult for everyone to keep track of who is who on the forum. For that reason, please do not incorporate your horse's name into your username so that you are not stuck with a username related to a horse you may no longer have some day, or use any other username you may no longer identify with or care for in the future.



User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Old Thread Warning
This thread is more than 90 days old. When a thread is this old, it is often better to start a new thread rather than post to it. However, If you feel you have something of value to add to this particular thread, you can do so by checking the box below before submitting your post.

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tex Tan saddle like or dislikes? FriesianSH Western Riding 8 03-28-2013 03:43 PM
CrossTies Nita Horse Training 86 11-15-2009 01:59 PM
Breed Likes and Dislikes Current Displeasure Horse Talk 10 07-23-2009 11:05 PM
Outdoor crossties? goldilockz Horse Grooming 7 07-21-2009 07:00 PM
Saddle bags -- likes and dislikes NorthernMama Horse Tack and Equipment 10 08-18-2008 02:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome