Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Orange County, NC
I agree with the other responses, but don't count on it going away with age. Our Paint mare, Lady, now 9 years old, is an extremely curious and observant horse also.
- When she sees something 'happening' (e.g. tractor in the field, UPS man, etc), she is at the fence watching within a minute.
- When working in the pasture (e.g. on the fence), she'll come up behind and watch what you're doing over your shoulder.
- 'Mouthy' (not nippy)...will dump my tools, pick up, and walk off with one (she seems to prefer yellow and light red/pink stuff).
- Found her standing with her front two legs in my wheel barrow. I'm surprised it supported her weight, but to be honest, it's never been the same again.
- Loves to untie lead ropes (hers first, then her buddies) and open gates. She doesn't go anywhere...it's almost like she gets satisfaction in just doing it.
Bottom line, you have a horse with lots of personality. It's a constant source of amusement, and I wouldn't try and change it.
On the sixth day, God created the Quarter Horse.
On the seventh day, he Painted the good ones.